StarCraft® II

Diablo 3

I played Diablo 2 to death and loved it. Have been hearing some not-so-enthusiastic things about Diablo 3 though. If I enjoyed D2, should I get D3?
Reply Quote
The first few play through s are good, but it does not have the staying power that d2 had. The combat is good but there's not a lot of variety
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:59 AMPosted by mBnAntaran
I played Diablo 2 to death and loved it. Have been hearing some not-so-enthusiastic things about Diablo 3 though. If I enjoyed D2, should I get D3?
The answer is yes, but this is the wrong forum :P

D3 is definitely a good game and is getting better. The story is a little "short", for lack of a better word, compared to D2, but I think with the D3 expansion pack, the story length will be appropriate. The gameplay is still fun, and with MP 0-10, Paragon levels up to 99 (I think?) and with how easy it gets to farm gold on Inferno, you will definitely find it worth your while. Also, if you get good enough MF gear, you can find Legendary drops more often than you think and you will be able to sell them on the AH for a lot of gold. The other thing is that the AH is a great way to complement whatever you're missing from the gameplay drops, and you can gear your character pretty decently. Not to mention you can also find people on the D3 forums who are generous enough to help you gear up and help you level up faster if you ask nicely.

You don't REALLY need the RMAH, imho. You can if you have the money to waste or are willing to start dealing in real money transactions, but I suggest you use a mobile authenticator with all the security features on your account before you do, because of the horror stories I have been hearing. In any case, the RMAH is like a bypass to farming so that you focus purely on getting gear, but it can cost you a lot of money - like hundreds of US dollars...

All in all, Diablo 3 is actually a fun game and despite what the haters will tell you, Diablo 3 keeps faithful with A LOT of the Diablo 2 experience, and does modify some aspects of (for the better imho), and you tend to focus more on the awesomeness and efficiency of your in-game micro and spell casting and resource-management (which is different for each character), while being vigilant about Elites and Rare monsters than can kill you pretty quickly if you aren't careful, especially in Inferno. The addition of Monster Power (MP) levels is what makes this aspect of the game more or less challenging as you require it, and you can basically change the MP level at will.

I think it is a worthwhile game to buy, and if you played D1 and D2, you will enjoy D3. The game has definitely improved a lot since release, and yes, there have been issues with balance and lack of features in the beginning (which was just March last year...) and Blizzard is listening to its fanbase and is making improvements slowly but surely, as is evidenced by the slew of patches with new content post-release. Expect more to come, esp with the new PvP system intended for the game soon, if you're into that sort of thing. It feels like D3 has stabilized quite a bit since the big problems it used to have at the start, so I think you can expect a much nicer experience getting into the game now.

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
Good feedback here already, but I'll echo it with my own little twist.

It's a great game to play through a time or two. However, if you're looking for a revamp on the franchise that brings a more modern D2 then don't bother. It just doesn't have the staying power of D2 (in terms of constant gear farming etc)

To be fair, D2 was the same for me - play through it a few times and move on. The constant farming etc is not what I want from a game. I want good game play and decent story. Good online play is a bonus.
Reply Quote
Personally I think it has no retention. I played it up to the Paragon levels release, and haven't played since. Biggest waste of $60 in 2012 for me.
Reply Quote
If you really enjoyed Diablo 2 and only want to play for your own enjoyment, play that instead. If you want to complete the story get Diablo 3.

Personally, I don't think I could ever stand a point-and-click rpg that is actually dumbed down from its predecessor.
Edited by TerranicII on 2/1/2013 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I may have gotten it for free, but it was a real waste of blizzards effort. I'll be up front with you, this isn't diablo. It is generic overhead hack and slash #5000. Think Dark Alliance, Daggerfall, and Loki. My biggest gripe with this game is specialization customization. There are no real varying styles of play in diablo 3, which makes it worse than a generic hack and slash. No matter which talent you choose, it feels like the same old crap.
The fun factor begins and ends in the cutscenes. They're beautiful! However, diablo 3 simply tried WAY too hard and ended up with an almost disney-esque story with an uncharacteristic happy ending.
I'm probably just going to write off all future blizzard games' campaign/single player to be bad if HoTS is a travesty that is comparable to this.
It's not worth 60$, try to find it cheaper if you must play it for yourself to believe me.
Reply Quote
Having been part of the crowd that couldn't wait for D3 because of D2 I'll tell you to stay away, far far away from D3. If it were possible I'd sell for like $5 or even gift you my D3 account so you could try it, but alas in order to "combat piracy" they made sure everyone had to buy a brand new copy of that crap instead of buy a "used" one from any of the legions vast of players who want nothing but out of the game. I digress.
D3 doesn't have the customization that D2 did, and it dumbs the game down in such a way it's almost insulting. D3 is not an arpg, it is an action game, Pokemon is more of an rpg than D3. For the rpg element you must be able to make choices about how your character progress that may be positive or negative, and not just by purchasing different gear from an auction house. That's just gear that you can change in an instant, that is not a choice. I personally didn't even like the story, which definitely wasn't a Diablo style storyline. Eclipse is right the cut scenes were the best part so just youtube those and save yourself the $60.
Will the game ever be patched and updated to somewhere worthy of D2? It's very unlikely just because of the overall design of the game, but it is possible. Until then save your money. After all you don't buy a car with no brakes, and say "well it just came out they'll fix it eventually."

On a side note if you are looking for something to satisfy your arpg fill there a few other good games out there (and some are free), but I don't know if I can mention them here.
Edited by Avenged on 2/1/2013 8:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 07:18 AMPosted by adrrr
Personally I think it has no retention. I played it up to the Paragon levels release, and haven't played since. Biggest waste of $60 in 2012 for me.

Paragon came out a few months after launch, right? Do you normally play a single player game longer? I'd wager most don't.
Reply Quote
The reason I am not buying it, or my mother who was a huge diablo fan, is that there is no single player mode. I've never liked playing RPG's with other people as far as video games go. Even on diablo 2 I just went online to kill other people. But doing the story mode with a group holds no interest. I also guess blizz dropped the ball with the story for this one. That is a complaint I have heard allot. But since I can't play because no single player idk for sure on that one.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:22 AMPosted by sfpDonFonzy
The reason I am not buying it, or my mother who was a huge diablo fan, is that there is no single player mode. I've never liked playing RPG's with other people as far as video games go.

I must have been playing a different version of D3 than the one you describe.

There most certainly *IS* single player, you just have to be online to play (kinda like SC).
Reply Quote
I must have been playing a different version of D3 than the one you describe.

There most certainly *IS* single player, you just have to be online to play (kinda like SC).

I was lead to understand you had to have a party to do it.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:27 AMPosted by sfpDonFonzy
I was lead to understand you had to have a party to do it.

You were mislead. It may make some parts easier for mecahnics (where a fight favors a ranged class over melee etc)...but certainly not required.
Reply Quote
You were mislead. It may make some parts easier for mecahnics (where a fight favors a ranged class over melee etc)...but certainly not required.

I stand corrected then.
Well I have no interest in it still. But this should make my mom waste 60 bucks.
Maybe if they put back the necromancer I'd change my mind.
Reply Quote
Simply put the game sucks; its fun for the first half of act 1 and that quickly becomes dry. The creators didnt know anything about D2 and theres a winged character in d3 which i have no idea how the hell this character passed developement let alone in the final game (players will know). The poster above is correct: it feels disneyish.

My best friend and I are hardcore D2 fans and played for several years. We both hate D3 and will forever refer to it as Disney 3. The storyline is the worse than something a 6 yr old wrote, the characters are dull/cheesy/unbelievable, maps are predictable and boring, the items are fkin terrible, sets/uniques are worse, skills and the only good thing is the cinematics. All the dark/gothic/horror elements are gone (lot of it left D2 from D1 but it was still present).

Save urself the money, look up the videos on youtube.

As well as look up Path of Exile, its the spiritual successor to D2 has all of the fun from D2. They just opened the beta a few days ago.
Edited by Luminous on 2/1/2013 8:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Inb4 Jay Wilson killed the game.

Good for 1 or two reruns but after that, there's no point really in playing unless you want to try the other classes.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:21 AMPosted by Lignar

Paragon came out a few months after launch, right? Do you normally play a single player game longer? I'd wager most don't.

I on average devote anywhere from 500-1000 hours to console RPGs. The D3 storyline was short and repetitive, with severe imbalances in the distribution of power between the classes. Even with the introduction of paragon levels and the buffs to legendaries, the story is still far too short, content far too stale. It's an endless grindfest except there isn't any PvP to show it off in. There isn't enough substance to keep me playing for longer than a couple months.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 09:03 AMPosted by adrrr
isn't any PvP to show it off in

check the current PTR of D3, its been in the current PTR for 3 weeks now
Reply Quote
D2 is my favorite game of all time. I have been playing D2 off and on for 12 years.

Diablo 3 is a good game, but it's still a huge letdown. It was fun to play through but it's missing a lot of the magic that made D2 so amazing.

There are no permanent choices for characters. One of the defining features of D2 for me was character construction. You had to carefully manage stats and skill points, optimizing your character to whatever build you were doing. The game was unforgiving if you screwed up, but it was so worth it to get to hell with an unconventional build. It was also really fun to see a bizarre character build in a game and then create a new character to try to match what they did.

See a cool melee sorceress? You have to craft/find/trade for the specific runewords and equipment to make that build work, and then raise the character from a low level to spec in the skills needed. This gave you a chance to replay the lower game and re-use all of your lower level treasure. I used to have alts packed with gear specifically to help characters level up. It was also hugely rewarding to finally get the runes to construct a powerful runeword. After painstakingly working to either find the runes or good enough loot to trade for them, you finally got to put together an item that was truly powerful, often giving you auras or skills that weren't possible otherwise. Zeal sorceress? Hell yes. Even the trading was fun, forcing you into social interactions and negotiations that were necessary because the treasure was too rare to find on your own.

In diablo 3? All of the items are balanced around the same stats, meaning there is very little variation in what's good to wear. Your skills can be swapped out completely without even having to go to town. See that cool wizard build that you want to try? Congrats- you're trying it. There is no incentive to create a new character. No reason to replay the game once you have a 60 with each character. All of your items are reprocessed or sold as soon as you outgrow them- there is no need to save anything since you're just going to buy incrementally better stuff on the auction house continually. Nobody ever trades because the auction house is overwhelming. All of your treasure is worse than what is for sale, and you can get whatever you need through a faceless click of a button. You never even get to talk to the sellers.

There are high points, sure. But not many of them. I think D3 is by far the biggest flop Blizzard has ever produced, and this is from somebody that's planning on getting the deluxe edition HotS. I like blizzard games a lot, I own all of them. Blizzard has never failed to disappoint their fans, and honestly I feel like they used their reputation to cash in on D3. I feel taken advantage of. I blindly got the collectors D3 even knowing I was nervous about some things in the D3 beta, and it was a bad call. I don't regret it; I feel like Blizz earned that extra $40 for the 12 years of wonderful gameplay I got out of D2.

But I will definitely be hesitant to buy a D3 expansion pack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]