StarCraft® II

Feedback on Replay Features

MVP - StarCraft
I've been using the new HotS replay features a lot, collecting feedback as I go. Now I've finally got around to posting them.

That being said, I did not originally mean to post this now (I accidentally hit the post button) because I was going to wait until after the replay night event (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7764347062?page=1) to gather more feedback -- so expect to see more additions to this post then!

• Watching with friends

• Watch with party by default: If you are in a party and you double-click a replay file, it will load it solo rather then sending invites to party members and creating a lobby for shared replay viewing.

Allow Transferring Host: I would love it if you could transfer control of the replay to another player while in the middle of watching the replay. It has annoyed me to be locked as the host on several occasions -- its useful if the host has to go AFK for a bit, or if another player wants to rewind to a certain part of the replay and can't remember the time stamp to tell the host.

Follow Spectator Cameras: There is the option to follow the camera of the players in the replay, but it would be a big improvement to be able to follow the camera(s) of anyone who is watching the replay with you. When you want to show someone the action or bring attention to something in specific, it would be much easier to simply say "Hey, follow my camera and I'll show you something cool" instead of trying to use pings, pause the game, and yell at them in the chat to come look at it before they miss it and you have to rewind again.

Replay Folder for Downloaded Replays: Quite simple: A folder where replays will be stored when a friend invites you to view a replay you don't have. Options to choose if these are automatically saved or not would be nice.

Replay Paused Text: Right now, when the host pauses the replay there is only an audio notification. If you don't have sound or were away when the replay was paused, it would be nice if a text message "Hostname has paused the replay" appeared for the duration of the pause.

Allow Referees: Right now, all spare players are made observers when you load from a replay. Please allow us to select them as referee\observers in the lobby before loading the replay.

Fast Forward: Running at x8 can be quite laggy and still not very fast. I would love it if you could fast forward the replay just like the "recover replay" system works. It doesn't render the graphics so it can fast-forward through the replay at greater speed, without lag.

Drawing Feature: Similar to the "weather screen" tournaments like MLG are using. Watch "Axslav's Rules of Engagement" on the MLG stream for an example. The reasoning for this feature is simply to give you more tools to explain concepts to your fellow spectators. Pings are very limited in utility, and only show up on the mini-map -- drawing on-screen would allow you to circle units, draw arrows to show where you should have moved your army, and so on.

Public Replay List: On the replay tab, there should be an "Open Replay List" like the custom games section. You should be able to open a replay lobby to the public, so anyone can watch.

• Take Control

• Show in Match History: I was kind of disappointed that if you load from a replay, the game doesn't appear on your match history. Obviously it would be necessary to make alterations to the score screen and match history so that it would display as [Loaded from replay] to avoid confusion.

Start Recovered Replay Paused: Taking control of a regular replay is fine: You can prepare yourselves as long as you want before clicking "Take Control." However, if you recover a replay it counts to three and throws you in. Instead, please bring up a pause screen with a "start" button so players can begin the game when they are ready to.

Other Preparation Settings: Sometimes the control groups from the players are not set up how either of the loading player wants them -- it would be nice (for both "recover" and "take control") to allow players to set up control groups before starting play.

Allow AI. Pretty please! Allow us to load an AI player into a player slot when using "take control" -- I understand that the AI wouldn't be able to competently take over, but it would at least make the enemy units keep attacking. It would have limited use, yes, but there are cases when I want to do so.

Display name of Host when players load a replay. I've been doing this thing called Replay Wars (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7764876602?page=1) where the losing player gets to load. It would be quite useful if it told you who the player initiating the load was, so you could tell who lost the previous time. I have one replay with 7 different load points, and it would be very helpful in keeping score for Replay Wars if it told you who loaded.

Tabs on Replay Timeline that mark where the replay has been previously loaded. It would make finding the load points on a replay much easier.

Clan Tags don't appear on the message indicating what players loaded into the game.

Many people I tried this feature with expected you to be able to go back to the replay file after you took control. I expect this is technically infeasible, but if its not it would be a superb feature: Then you could make a quick demonstration from within the game itself, and then go back to watching the original replay without having to reload the entire replay.

Thats it for now. Thanks for reading!
    Edited by TheSkunk on 2/3/2013 6:09 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Watch with party by default: If you are in a party and you double-click a replay file, it will load it solo rather then sending invites to party members and creating a lobby for shared replay viewing.
    Dear god please make this happen. I'm sure both TheSkunk and Razgriz can attribute to the fact that this drives me nuts.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    02/01/2013 12:00 PMPosted by zappy
    Dear god please make this happen. I'm sure both TheSkunk and Razgriz can attribute to the fact that this drives me nuts.

Actually, it only seemed to mildy annoy you -- and it was made up by how much it amused me when you only realized your mistake after you got to the end of the replay.

...All the same, it really ought to be changed.
    Edited by TheSkunk on 2/1/2013 12:03 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    02/01/2013 12:03 PMPosted by TheSkunk
    Actually, it only seemed to mildy annoy you
    My rage increased as the day went on.
    Reply Quote
    Follow Spectator Cameras: There is the option to follow the camera of the players in the replay, but it would be a big improvement to be able to follow the camera(s) of anyone who is watching the replay with you. When you want to show someone the action or bring attention to something in specific, it would be much easier to simply say "Hey, follow my camera and I'll show you something cool" instead of trying to use pings, pause the game, and yell at them in the chat to come look at it before they miss it and you have to rewind again.

I believe this needs to emphasized quite a bit. Starcraft plays in such a way that you could easily be viewing completely different actions. Are you looking at that skirmish, harassment or multi pronged attack. I guess it is easier if you talk to each other, but typing to figure out what you are looking at can be troublesome. I guess it requires good host communication.
    Reply Quote
    Very well put! +1 :D
    Reply Quote
    I completely agree with just about everything.

02/01/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Flare

I believe this needs to emphasized quite a bit. Starcraft plays in such a way that you could easily be viewing completely different actions. Are you looking at that skirmish, harassment or multi pronged attack. I guess it is easier if you talk to each other, but typing to figure out what you are looking at can be troublesome. I guess it requires good host communication.
    I thought this was already implemented? Is it disabled in HotS when watching a group replay?
    Edited by Fencar on 2/1/2013 1:20 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    I thought this was already implemented? Is it disabled in HotS when watching a group replay?
    I don't think you can follow other who are currently watching the replay, only the original observers.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    Yeah, Zappy is correct.

Unless you mean you can follow fellow spectators in a 1v1 obs game. Either way, I tested it and you cannot follow the cameras of the other people watching replays with you.
    Reply Quote
    02/01/2013 12:07 PMPosted by zappy
    Actually, it only seemed to mildy annoy you
    My rage increased as the day went on.
    lol

I seem to agree with everything except the Match History on Take Control.
    Reply Quote
    I felt something similar in my experiences with it.

If I get on tonight, I might need some help BTW; can you reload a replay with someone different as your opponent? And resume it? Cause I have a perfect macro game against a toss that I ended up losing because, honestly, its the first time my opponent has gotten HT (and the first HotS game where I wasn't cheesed lol) and I would love to reload from my 10:00 push for more drops and to practice my storm splitting (and getting those ghosts up faster).
    Reply Quote
    We are actually going right now, log on if you want.
    Reply Quote
    02/01/2013 05:12 PMPosted by zappy
    We are actually going right now, log on if you want.

I can't now, I have to do psych 100 homework now :'( I will catch you guys later, glhf
    Reply Quote
    So one thing i noticed the other night is that at random, the toolbar on the bottom of the screen in game would disappear. Occasionally it would reappear, but mostly after viewing group replays it was gone.

Overall it went rather smoothly, we ended up in a few situations going,"I bet i could win from here." and we were able to test it out, which was great. I discovered a spot to put an overlord where NOBODY will ever find it.
    Reply Quote
    02/02/2013 01:02 PMPosted by zappy
    I discovered a spot to put an overlord where NOBODY will ever find it.
    Is it relevant though? Like, just placing an Overlord somewhere isn't important. What was the point of placing it there?
    Reply Quote
    02/02/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Razgriz
    I discovered a spot to put an overlord where NOBODY will ever find it.
    Is it relevant though? Like, just placing an Overlord somewhere isn't important. What was the point of placing it there?
    Sorry, there were at least two replays that an overlord was spotted in a particular spot and never killed. fencar got it down to 10 health and then repeatedly walked by it without ever killing it. It drove me nuts.
    Reply Quote
    Just lol
    By the way, are you free to game?
    Reply Quote
    +1 to all.

What do you do professionally Skunk? You've got the Midas touch for each post you compose - figuratively, not that it's literally in gold. :P

I think these are the essential changes to implement:

• Watch with party by default
  • Allow Referees
  • Fast Forward
  • Allow AI. Pretty please!
  • Tabs on Replay Timeline
  • Reply Quote
    This may be a bit out there, but here it is.
    If we have a "replay war", is there a way we could consolidate it into one replay pack, and you could, at each load, choose which path to follow? Like a chose your own adventure of starcraft replay?

Also, replay publication support in game would make them 10x easier to watch.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    02/02/2013 09:21 PMPosted by Sole
    What do you do professionally Skunk? You've got the Midas touch for each post you compose - figuratively, not that it's literally in gold.

I'm not a "Professional Forum Poster" if thats what you mean. :P

Nor am I experienced or educated in any form of writing.

This may be a bit out there, but here it is.
    If we have a "replay war", is there a way we could consolidate it into one replay pack, and you could, at each load, choose which path to follow? Like a chose your own adventure of starcraft replay?

Yeah, there are lots of ways you could make replay wars easier to watch. I suggested some features with that in mind (fast forward and markers) but considering its not very popular (me and you are the only people to have done it) I don't think they're going to go to very great lengths to support it. =(

Also, replay publication support in game would make them 10x easier to watch.

Care to elaborate? What would replay publication do that would make it "10x easier" that can't be accomplished by hosting the replay and having your friends join it?

I was annoyed that after you join a friends replay lobby, the replay doesn't appear in your own replay list for you to watch yourself, though. I also forgot one thing that I just added, which is a way to open replays to the public.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]