StarCraft® II

Common Terran pitfalls

What's your most common pitfall as a Terran player?

Here's a few traps that I fall into myself, and observe time after time when watching other players, the key reasons why Terrans lose:

- Too much fancy micro. Too much time spent microing during a battle or being distracted by something. That awe-inspiring stutter step or marine split looked awesome during the fight, but during this time, production facilities sat entirely idle, or as many as 20 seconds go by before the units are queued up. Which leads us directly into:

- Queue Curse. Your units are all queued up 2 units deep or even to the max in your existing barracks or factories. This is the reason why Protoss always seems to outnumber or outsupply you. Protoss players have it ingrained within them, to constantly warp in more gateways(because warpgates don't have a queue). Thus Protoss players are not nearly as subject to the Queue Curse, which is common with Terrans. Once hailed as a quality of life feature - ability to queue in fact hurts you, more than it helps, and is costing you untold number of games.

- Ineffective multitasking. Your hellion run by did not do as much damage as you think it did. During all that fancy drive-by and dodging, what wasn't happening? SCV's were not being produced on time. More production facilities weren't produced. All those minerals you floated should have been another base + more facilities, but by the time you realized it, you're in truth no further ahead. All that attention spent keeping that Banshee alive cost you *more* than it cost your opponent.
Reply Quote
Mine, never adding enough late game infrastructure.

I am also a very conservative stimmer, I find the practice of stimming a unit to death an absolutely barbaric and vile practice so I refuse to stim before my medivacs are online.
Reply Quote
I over commit, and then I under commit :P
Reply Quote
I would say my common pitfalls are:

1. Over confidence in my ability to hold a push when I am being greedy.
2. Lack of scouting beyond the initial scout
3. This is probably why I lose 80% of the games - do not have a set plan in game. Decide want to play defensive but try to build counters way before the units to be countered are built.
eg. Playing against protoss build ghost academy before 3rd CC trying to prepare for storm in advance while trying to push out medivacs and vikings and being aggressive. No good because do not have adequate defense because toss has too many collosus and I got useless ghosts and 4 vikings!

5. Last but not least not recognizing which engagements are favorable. I think my units look good and try to be aggressive. But he who is patient lives to fight another "timing" :P. Usually I play balls to the wall style build 10 marines that's 9 more than I need!!
Reply Quote
I keep playing macro games. Why, why do I keep playing macro games?

I also hate ghosts. You can imagine Terran vs. Protoss gives me hell.
Reply Quote
not building enough extra production facilities once im on 3 or more bases

i should be more active on the map

i also suck hard with ghosts, luckily most of the tvp they go collossi which i almost always win but i rarely beat templar.

am sometimes too greedy about not building bunkers and will throw away random games that 3 bunkers easily would have just held and then won

cant believe i forgot this one i am very bad at splitting and storm dodging
Edited by raiderryan on 1/31/2013 8:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
A lot of times i dont know when to retreat. I think "icandoiticandoiticandoit" and then i gloriously fail.

Also managing bases is a pain. I always neglect my 3rd base, and after my 2 bases I sorta forget about the whole base thing.
Reply Quote
some things i have realized:

around 16 minutes i keep building SCVs, even though i dont need them, and usually keep building supply depots even though i don't need them.

Been trying to correct that and built more infrastructure (ie. more CCs, and more production facilities.

And remembering to put said production facilities on my hot keys!
Reply Quote
I always plan on doing a big pre-hive push in TvZ but I usually @*@@!!*!! out ;~;
Reply Quote
I keep playing macro games. Why, why do I keep playing macro games?

Hehe, I like ghosts. It must be from having to get used to using Infestors.
Reply Quote
01/31/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Allimiira

01/31/2013 07:00 PMPosted by raiderryan
i also suck hard with ghosts

These. I'm horrible with Ghosts, because I don't like them and don't like to use them. I hate that we're forced to use an underwhelming unit in standard TvP, so I don't play a lot of standard TvP.

Also, I tend to lose track of my Tanks in TvT, once I have a large number of them.
Reply Quote
To much fany micro, then i realise i wasn't macroing and die because my opponent was.
Not enough fancy micro. Let my army sit at 3rd, look away to take fourth, hear the attack alarm, double tap my army hotkey to realise they are all dead. O_O
Reply Quote
MY always errors and i have to solve them as soon as possible.

1) If i don't play Mech, i get really pissed off. That's why i struggle in TvP. Yes my Bio sucks and that's why I play mech in TvP (sometimes i add bio units but i don't like them)
2) Supply block.... always :(
3) Not adding enough infraestructure late game. That's a good one
4) Forget upgrades (now i've managed them well)
5) Not expanding soon enough

I'm pretty sure if i master these 5 things i'll get into masters
Edited by ElvisTek on 2/2/2013 5:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
not dodging storm.........so many games where i dont dodge storm and wipes 2/3 of my army gives protoss the O.K.! to A move and win.
Reply Quote
to forget research siege mode or getting ghosts too late. This doesnt happend very much, but more then I would like.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 03:02 PMPosted by StimPack
to forget research siege mode or getting ghosts too late. This doesnt happend very much, but more then I would like.

You ever forget stimpack? If not, maybe you should change your character name to "SiegeMode" and that way you don't forget it anymore :D
Reply Quote
My pitfalls:

1. Not building enough structures. This hurts late-game when I try to re-max and I have five barracks, two of which don't have add-ons.

2. Not knowing when to scan. I keep thinking MACRO, MACRO, MACRO, and I forget to find out what I'm up against.

3. When to expand. For some reason, I feel more comfortable taking a third in HotS than I ever did in WoL, and Filtersc's "Bronze to Masters" gave a good tip on 3rd base expansion. But I never learned when to take a fourth base.

4. Tech switch. I keep getting stuck with building more bio instead of adding mech to it. Sometimes I'm playing and thinking, "If I just switched to thors, I could've beat those ultras."

5. RAVEN HOTKEYS. I just lost a game today in HotS that I felt I could've won if I learned how to handle my ravens better. In reality, I got outplayed, but for some reason I'm struggling with my hotkeys when it comes to the raven, and it really frustrated me today.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 03:09 PMPosted by fingrknitter

You ever forget stimpack? If not, maybe you should change your character name to "SiegeMode" and that way you don't forget it anymore :D

lol, nah I never forget stimpack man. If I changed my name to SiegeMode and also forgot to research siegemode my opponent would BM or tease me forever so... I dont think so xD
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 03:29 PMPosted by StimPack

lol, nah I never forget stimpack man. If I changed my name to SiegeMode and also forgot to research siegemode my opponent would BM or tease me forever so... I dont think so xD

Hahaha, just made my day :)
Reply Quote
#1 pitfall of all....not enough tanks

seriously...lake of fire
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]