StarCraft® II

How do you all Micro so well?

Yes, I realize I'm in bronze so none of you need to state the obvious, thanks. Anyway, for all of you that Micro so WELL did it come by playing over and over again? When I micro I try to make my whole army the #1, stalkers #2, Sentries #4, Colossus #5, and zealots #3 (other units are binded later). Also, my main base is #0, second base is #9, and third base is #8, etc (this is for Macro).

Does anyone else do the same thing that I do? Is this standard play? I often get confused when my units are fighting against the enemy's army. Am I doing it right and I'll just get better in time or is this just dead wrong?
Reply Quote
Practice.
Reply Quote
Set all The Nexi to one Hotkey.
Reply Quote
Imo you're making it to complicated, simplify by having all your army on one hot key and just use control click or tab through units for special abilities
Reply Quote
its not a good idea to bind stuff to 7-0 simply because its so far away from your left hand

i put all my hatches on 1, queens on 2, army on 4, and any special units are 3 or 5

and honestly dude, if you just work mechanics and macro youll get through bronz just fine (:
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Kobold
Imo you're making it to complicated, simplify by having all your army on one hot key and just use control click or tab through units for special abilities

In other words, A-Move that ball of units and occasionally tab to use the caster spells. Or do the same except the casters are on a separate hotkey.
Reply Quote
I have all of my town hall structures on 1, production structures on 4 or 5, and units inbetween, but that's just what I'm used to. You can do whatever works for you, but I recommend keeping all of your town hall structures (except in certain circumstances, such as having a hidden expansion) on a single key. To jump to areas quickly without double clicking the hotkey for your bases, you can keybind map locations with your function keys.

Anyway, this is hotkey management and it doesn't really fall into the category of "micro." Does this answer your question or do you want me to explain how to better control your units? If you do, I'm going to need some more information.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Yes
Am I doing it right and I'll just get better in time or is this just dead wrong?

Oh no on no, you're doing it actually quite properly. You may want to consider switching to Grid Hotkeys http://www.sc2tutorials.com/files/Why_Using_The_GRID_Hotkeys_Is_Important.html

Does anyone else do the same thing that I do?

I typically reserve hotkeys 1-4 for macro purposes, skip 5 and use 6-8 for my army. But i'm sure plenty of folks do what you do :D

Usually what ends up happening is I derp everything together in one big group, then just cycle through them using tab or just ctrl click units and try not to fumble out the engagement lol.

I need moar practice.

Some tips:

Bind your base camera hotkey to a mouse button. It will cycle through multiple bases, jumping to each CC/Nexus/Hatch and helps immensely with macro.

Bind a Screen Location Hotkey to an available mouse button. Ctrl-Click to set then just Click to jump to.

Disable mouse scrolling, use scroll wheel drag instead it's more accurate and faster.

If you have a high performance gaming mouse, disable "enhance pointer precision" under the Mouse options in Windows, then adjust the DPI/Windows Sensitivity Ratio. I have a Razer mouse and I set mine to maximum DPI (8500) with the Windows setting to the 3rd bar, it makes the mouse very accurate at both slow and high speeds. I have the mouse sensitivity override in StarCarft disabled. If you use it, make sure the slider is at 50%. It's the best spot for it.
Reply Quote
The only micro I am really proud of is marine splitting. All that requires is practice.
Reply Quote
Practice.

(these hotkeys are not recommended if you do not enjoy spending two weeks or more in bronze trying to re-learn hotkeys)
Marines, Marauders and Thors on spacebar.
Siege Tanks or Widow Mines on T.
Medivacs on R.
Drops on 4 and 5.
Misc on G.
Vikings, Battlecruisers on V.
Command centers, orbital commands, planetary fortresses, engineering bays, and armories on forward mouse button.
Barracks, factories and starports on 3.

I practice with these hotkeys and triumph.
Edited by Fencar on 2/1/2013 4:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
I dont actually use control groups for individual units, i just double click on the ones i want, and my weakness isnt my micro, its my macro
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Hjax
i just double click on the ones i want

Ctrl-single Click
Reply Quote
@Fencar: That hotkey setup looks really good. I'd have to relearn nearly every hotkey as each race, but it may be worth it. I'm going to try it out. :D
Reply Quote
I don't understand how someone who uses hot keys can be in bronze. I don't think the hotkeys are your problem at all, most people even up to plat don't use hotkeys efficiently. I'm one of them.

You should study some pro games and see what they actually do when controlling units and try to mimic it. Good luck!
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 04:37 PMPosted by HeReTiC
@Fencar: That hotkey setup looks really good. I'd have to relearn nearly every hotkey as each race, but it may be worth it. I'm going to try it out. :D
Well, it's a modified version of this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=257590

The creator says that he and another guy have created a better one called thecore, so you might want to check that out, too. Personally I didn't switch again because using thecore means that I have to use my pinkie for a ton of stuff, it's harder to switch between typing and playing quickly, and I would have to re learn shift.

I should note though that unless you have a lot of APM you may want to go ahead and add Medivacs to the Marine/Marauder/Thor control group, or even more units to the primary control group.
Edited by Fencar on 2/1/2013 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Smoke rocks, watch your APM skyrocket :D

But seriously I think you might have too many hotkeys. I only use 3 max for my army, any more and I have to think too much about what is hotkeyed where etc. Also its really really hard to tell you what you are doing wrong without a replay. Most likely your problem is macro (spending resources and keeping them low). You can get into low diamond with good macro alone.

This game takes a lot of practice so just play a lot. You will naturally get faster if you play more.
Reply Quote
In early game situations I tend to individually click my stalkers and sentries (sometimes zealots) back when they take damage. Hotkeys don't really even enter into it. Most good micro isn't so much about ordering all of one unit type to do the same thing imo-- it was in Brood War because doing that was actually hard (muta stacking, for example) and there are clear advantages from having a bunch of stuff attacking at once rather than coming in piecemeal. But achieving that is pretty easy in SC2. Good micro comes from being able to evaluate an engagement and immediately know how to use (and be able to execute) commands to improve your situation in that engagement. It can be as simple as pulling back a colossus or as complicated as spreading out stimmed marines. Aside from avoiding area effect damage, most micro is about maximizing the amount of damage output you are doing, minimizing intake, and saving units that are under attack. This is not usually something you do by just ordering a whole unit type (notable exception is putting melee units in front or pulling them away.)
Reply Quote
You don't need micro at bronze level, you need macro. It will help you develop your fast thinking, your APM and help you keep a level of awareness better than micro. Learn how to get money and spend money, since the biggest army wins.

Keep your whole army on #1. Keep it simple and as you play and get better, you will be more aware of your needs (oh, I should try X unit on X group next time, and try this).

At bronze level, simply flood your opponent with units. You're wasting time trying to get better at micro.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:59 PMPosted by zappy
Practice.

Practice.

Practice.

oh, did i mention

Practice.

in all honesty, thats all there is to it. look at what you need to improve on, and do it over an over again until you can do it blindfolded with a monkey beating on your shoulders with a spoon.
Reply Quote
When I micro I try to make my whole army the #1, stalkers #2, Sentries #4, Colossus #5, and zealots #3 (other units are binded later). Also, my main base is #0, second base is #9, and third base is #8, etc (this is for Macro).

woahwoahwoahwoah

Hold up there brah.

First off, hotkey all your nexii together so you can cb and make probes more easier. Next, if you haven't already, hotkey your production structures (other than warpgates).

Also, for army hotkeys 2 is fine at the lower leagues. 1 hotkey for main army and maybe 2 for casters only (sentries and ht).

Sorry bud but at lower levels you should prioritize making units over microing them. That means making tons of warpgates and robo facilities to keep up the unit count while committing to a push. Plus, zealots and Colossus don't have to much micro potential so it's best to focus on simply making more units and taking more bases.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]