StarCraft® II

How do you all Micro so well?

Practice, play super greedy against the computer on Very Hard and it will force you to micro as well.
Reply Quote
Dont put your entire army on a single hotkey.
Reply Quote
One of my favorite movie quotes answers your question perfectly. " You know how to get to Carnegie hall don't you?...practice." Micro comes with time. I would say focus on your macro more than anything. When you have a good amount of units just send them and don't watch for now. Learn to make more stuff faster than your opponent and you will win almost all your games in bronze and silver. Once your Macro is solid you will more time to work on micro.
Reply Quote
I generally keep my entire army on 1 hotkey and individual units on 2 or 3 if they require special micro.

For example, in early game pushes, I'll have everything on 1, and then Marines on 2 to pull them back and let Marauders tank.

In the later game, I tend to split my hotkeys more. 1 will be just Marines-Marauders-Medivacs; 2 will be Ghosts; 3 will be Vikings.

As far as macro goes:
4 - CCs, Nexi, Queens.
5 - Barracks, Gateways, Hatches
6 - Factory (Starport if TvP), Robos.
7 - Starports, Stargates
0 - Upgrade structures.

That way, I can quickly create workers/inject with a close by hotkey on 4. 5 has basic production structures. 6 and 7 can vary more based on my build, and are more complex, less accessed structures. 0 for upgrades just to keep track of them.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Years and years of playing RTS. i.e. practice.
Reply Quote
In larger battles micro does less for you (still important though!!) while position and concave are more important. Watch a reply when you have a large battle and draw a figurative line in the middle of it. Are your units arcing around his or vise versa? Do you have units not in combat, hanging around the back not firing? If so, fix that. Simple as boxing the back half of your units and moving them around your front units(if engaged) or splitting your army into two halfs (pre-battle) After that work on you re-enforcement rate.

In smaller battles micro really shines and is easier to practice. Can be as simple as wrapping zerglings around a ball of units, having a 4 ling vs 1 zealot battle, or kiting +6 marines with 3 stalkers.

And remember also micro your macro.
Reply Quote
I called papa raaaaaaa, his special tactics will make you drop your jaaaaaaaw.
Reply Quote
I'd say I'm decent at burrow micro on roaches.
Reply Quote
Easiest is 1=army 2=Bases 3=important tech (ebay, forge, evo) 4-9= anything, probably unit groups for micro

Really the best way to micro your army is just set it all to 1 and 1a...yeah sounds like a scrub thing to do but not really. Get used to spamming tab to cycle through abilities, focus on important ones first like storm and ff
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 08:49 PMPosted by Anesthetic
In larger battles micro does less for you (still important though!!) while position and concave are more important. Watch

concaves are set up beforehand, micro takes place during the actual game so you should be able to do both.

Indeed, but not every battle happens under favorable conditions. I have alot more trouble fighting against the natural clumping of units that I do working spellcasters or targetting them down. When it comes to the special abilities just select casters, hold button needed, click bad guys..... Well that's what I do haha.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Yes
When I micro I try to make my whole army the #1, stalkers #2, Sentries #4, Colossus #5, and zealots #3 (other units are binded later). Also, my main base is #0, second base is #9, and third base is #8, etc (this is for Macro).

There's your problem. Don't do THIS.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
When I micro I try to make my whole army the #1, stalkers #2, Sentries #4, Colossus #5, and zealots #3 (other units are binded later). Also, my main base is #0, second base is #9, and third base is #8, etc (this is for Macro).

There's your problem. Don't do THIS.

I use to overrely on hotkeys as well. Hotkeys are great, but usually I'll have my whole army on 1, just my Stalkers on two, and some kind of casters or air units on 3. That way I don't have to micro manage too many fragments at once, except when it's beneficial.
Edited by Doncroft on 2/2/2013 8:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
I got "okay" at micro the same way I got decent at guitar and learned 200 or so kanji, practice, practice, practice.
DO IT.
Reply Quote
1. Nexus on 1 ctrl group
2. Random micro challenge (played with some friends)
3. Well since you're playing Protoss... All-in :D All-in --> better micro
Reply Quote
• Your computer hardware can damper your gameplay and abilitiy to micro.
(E.g. running the game on 20fps)
- Using an uncomfortable mouse sensitivity could hurt you too. If your mouse cursor goes too fast or too slow, it's not good.
• Practice using keybindings and hotkeys, not only it'll help your game ten-fold, but the skill is basically mandatory in higher leagues.

I recommended playing the Challenge missions.
Reply Quote
play some BW.. simple things like keeping your units from engaging in single file line become work lol

my BW micro >>>>>>>> my SC2 micro

its like.. having convenient things like more then 12 units in a control group and all the other stuff that got easier in SC2 made me lazy, same thing happened when i bought my black widow keyboard and used macro's to "cheat" .. my micro got worse and I got worse.

go back to an old school play style for a bit
Reply Quote
this game requires minimal micro compared to macro, you want micro intensive go play warcraft 3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]