StarCraft® II

last brutal runthrough before HOTS

so since i only beat the campaign on brutal once i decided to start one yesterday, i figured a mission a day.... i forgot how fun it is! ive done 17 LOL..... once you play online brutal is way to easy imo, so far ive only died on 2 missions, zeratul randomly died on the one where you have to get to the overmind tendrils and my base got destroyed on deadmans port when i had like 5850 in minerals.

i think after i beat it i may try it with no upgrades or research because im already maxxed out on the research and my upgrades are optimal.

the campaign is awesome in this game though
Reply Quote
I did a brutal re-run as well.

i went ravens instead of vessels and ravens are amazing.

go ravens!
Reply Quote
I tried Brutal...got stuck after 14 missions. I'm sticking to Hard.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 04:47 AMPosted by UltraNoob
I tried Brutal...got stuck after 14 missions. I'm sticking to Hard.

dude you got it on brutal! there are tons of great guides online that are really helpful. its worth it gotta get that kerrigan portrait. There are a couple really hard missions (especially on your first brutal run through) so you need to save a lot and be quick but I have faith!!!
Reply Quote
Well I tried Engine of Destruction, Welcome to the Jungle and A Sinister Turn. Failed every one of them. I lose the Odin around the Third base, the shrines get shut down too fast for my troops to get there and the Protoss/Hybrid attacks are relentless for me (Can't get a force up quick enough before they breach my defenses in a downhill war of defense).

Maybe someday I'll return to WoL brutal and play through it. But after HotS and LotV have been released so I have a 3 way challenge.
Edited by UltraNoob on 2/11/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I lose the Odin around the Third base,

You actually made it that far? I tried that one several times, and was consistently wrecked when the Odin tried to enter the second base (the only time it even got through that base, my own base was destroyed immediately after). You just do not get enough time to do that level. You need another three minutes or so before it goes into the first base, I think, so you can actually build something before you get destroyed.
Reply Quote
Well I tried Engine of Destruction, Welcome to the Jungle and A Sinister Turn. Failed every one of them. I lose the Odin around the Third base, the shrines get shut down too fast for my troops to get there and the Protoss/Hybrid attacks are relentless for me (Can't get a force up quick enough before they breach my defenses in a downhill war of defense).

Maybe someday I'll return to WoL brutal and play through it. But after HotS and LotV have been released so I have a 3 way challenge.

welcome to the jungle:

make marines and medics, add marauders later (because eventually he will have a colossus in one of those waves). Don't waste money on goliaths. Just bio, and add barracks to keep spending your money. clear out units at altars (to make it easier to save them) but don't claim them. Take all 7 at once and win. Make sure you got stim at the armory.

A sinister turn:

did you know that speed zealots are a deadly unit in pvp, and are only really beaten by good forcefielding and simcity, neither of which the AI will ever use?
I made about 4 stalkers, and then went mass zealot (+making immortals out of that robo to use gas). Every time the hybdrid showed up, my zealots swarmed him and i took him out cost-effectively. It also made the regular protoss waves quite easy to deal with, letting me clear out both protoss bases and expand for myself. When you find the templar archives, keep a few templar handy for feedbacking the hybrid.
Then you will need stalkers/HT as well to push the other guys base because he does have some air units. don't suicide into his base, try to pull units to the choke to weaken his numbers.

these two missions are easily beaten by basic macro - nonstop marine and zealot production, with good economy management and no supply blocks.

engine of destruction:
defend your top flank with a bunker and a siege tank. That's enough for much of the game. I went air to accompany the odin, but not wraiths. Instead, I mixed banshee/viking/raven. Having ravens meant that I could basically disable all of the enemy anti-air with PDD, so I only needed a few vikings, and a whole bunch of banshees. marauders and vultures couldn't hit either. If you go vessel, you will need to adjust your composition. ravens are amazing and made this mission easy for me.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 07:12 PMPosted by Palamani
I lose the Odin around the Third base,

You actually made it that far? I tried that one several times, and was consistently wrecked when the Odin tried to enter the second base (the only time it even got through that base, my own base was destroyed immediately after). You just do not get enough time to do that level. You need another three minutes or so before it goes into the first base, I think, so you can actually build something before you get destroyed.

Yeah, that 2nd base is the hardest one on brutal, because they have siege tanks and ravens who use seeker missile on you. As I recall, I rushed for wraiths and marauders, and maybe had one or two science vessels already out for repair.
Reply Quote
MVP
I thought Brutal was easy for most part so I choose air for the all in mission on purpose and some other not optimal choices. And now I am stuck in the last mission, I have little more than one month to get over it, last try I did 86%, I am getting closer... Kerrigan is too strong, if it wasn't for her it'd be easy as well. Storm + one shot spell for tanks, vikings? =(
Reply Quote
If you have ghosts upgraded ghosts marines (like 4 bunkers each side worth) and vikings are the way to go for the air mission (mass those ghosts though)
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 01:05 PMPosted by SDream
I thought Brutal was easy for most part so I choose air for the all in mission on purpose and some other not optimal choices. And now I am stuck in the last mission, I have little more than one month to get over it, last try I did 86%, I am getting closer... Kerrigan is too strong, if it wasn't for her it'd be easy as well. Storm + one shot spell for tanks, vikings? =(

Her kill ability applies to any mechanical unit if I remember correctly. So use bio forces and dance out of her storm like ability. As for the air part, small groups of vikings are good (better if you gave them self healing) just make sure to keep them away from Kerrigan. Flame turrets and planetary fortress work ok for slowing down kerrigan also, though lack anti air.
Reply Quote
Just finished my final Brutal run before HOTS and I finally managed to complete All In Air Mode after getting my Kerrigan portrait almost a year ago.

When the artifact finally reached 100% the only troops remaining to defend it was a single SCV about 6 Ghosts, 4 Vikings and a Science Vessel.
Reply Quote

If you picked the Hive Mind Emulator the air version is a cakewalk. I mean basically what you do is you completely wall in your base with PFs with a good number of SCVs to repair and spam Hive Mind Emulators on the platform with the artifact (and get lots of tanks to go right behind your PFs)

Once you reach a critical mass of Brood Lords then Kerrigan is easy-peasy because all you have to do is have the Brood Lords attack her. BLs outrange Kerrigan but it doesn't matter because crappy targeting AI will put her attacking the Broodlings and you can just whittle her down like that. You should have a lot of mutalisks to herp-derp kill the leviathan with an A-Move by the time it shows up.
Reply Quote
so since i only beat the campaign on brutal once i decided to start one yesterday, i figured a mission a day.... i forgot how fun it is! ive done 17 LOL..... once you play online brutal is way to easy imo, so far ive only died on 2 missions, zeratul randomly died on the one where you have to get to the overmind tendrils and my base got destroyed on deadmans port when i had like 5850 in minerals.

i think after i beat it i may try it with no upgrades or research because im already maxxed out on the research and my upgrades are optimal.

the campaign is awesome in this game though

Challenge accepted, beat this version.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7979929582?
same problem
02/21/2013 03:22 PMPosted by wickedpl
If you have ghosts upgraded ghosts marines (like 4 bunkers each side worth) and vikings are the way to go for the air mission (mass those ghosts though)

What if you dont have ghosts? will spectres work?
Edited by JCarrillo on 2/28/2013 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Spectres are even better than ghosts. They can get an upgrade so that they can stay cloaked permanently, whereas ghosts have to upgrade in-mission to even cloak at all and it still uses energy. Then there is EMP vs Ultrasonic Pulse. EMP is basically useless in the campaign vs Zerg but pulse will stun large swaths of units. Snipe vs Psionic Lash, Snipe does 25 damage (+25 against infestors or queens, so, just 25 in this case) while Lash does 200 damage. It does take a lot more energy, but on a damage per energy cost ratio, Lash still wins. Plus they can both call down nukes.
Reply Quote

Spectres are even better than ghosts. They can get an upgrade so that they can stay cloaked permanently, whereas ghosts have to upgrade in-mission to even cloak at all and it still uses energy. Then there is EMP vs Ultrasonic Pulse. EMP is basically useless in the campaign vs Zerg but pulse will stun large swaths of units. Snipe vs Psionic Lash, Snipe does 25 damage (+25 against infestors or queens, so, just 25 in this case) while Lash does 200 damage. It does take a lot more energy, but on a damage per energy cost ratio, Lash still wins. Plus they can both call down nukes.

Well you are quite mistaken sir. Ghosts do not require energy to cloak form the armory they go up to 8 range with a buff vs light and they do 45 damage snipe. Ghosts are the only unit minus marines I can mass on brutal and win out right with.
Reply Quote
45 damage with snipe? Since when? I thought it was 25+25psyonic?? Or do they have different damage in single player?
Edited by Pongsifu on 3/4/2013 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote

Well you are quite mistaken sir. Ghosts do not require energy to cloak form the armory they go up to 8 range with a buff vs light and they do 45 damage snipe. Ghosts are the only unit minus marines I can mass on brutal and win out right with.

so does that mean spectre's wont work?
Firebat and Specter.

Psionic lash does awesome damage on Kerrigan in the last mission.

hmmm this might be useful.

this is my delema, http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7979929582?page=1
I need help since I can't go backwards
Edited by JCarrillo on 3/4/2013 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]