StarCraft® II

How to deal air Terran? :/

Hello, I am a Silver Protoss player.
I had a Terran opponent who went on as Air army. Viking, Banshee, Ravens.
In this case, I have no idea how to deal with this air army.....
Vikings counters pretty much of my every Protoss Air units and Stalkers were instantly killed by Banshees......
So could anyone tell me how to deal air Terran? :/
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:46 AMPosted by HelpHan
Vikings counters pretty much of my every Protoss Air units and Stalkers were instantly killed by Banshees......

Vikings do not counter all protoss air units, in truth they're actually quite weak against Phoenix.

All Vikings have going from them is range....which in the case of air units (No collision) is absolutely pitiful . They're slow, their rate of fire is pathetic, and worse of all they overkill and waste what little DPS they have.

Banshee and Raven die even faster to Phoenix.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 05:57 AMPosted by Quirriff

Vikings do not counter all protoss air units, in truth they're actually quite weak against Phoenix.

All Vikings have going from them is range....which in the case of air units (No collision) is absolutely pitiful . They're slow, their rate of fire is pathetic, and worse of all they overkill and waste what little DPS they have.

Banshee and Raven die even faster to Phoenix.

Vikings are not weak vs Phoenix, they trade relatively evenly, with the Phoenix coming out on top overall by a small margin. Small enough that in-game scenarios can sway the difference.
The slight Phoenix advantage is logical given its higher cost, the Viking-Phoenix matchup is one of the most logical and balanced I can think of in the game.

For the OP, mass phoenix will beat that, and HTs will as well, just gotta make sure to use them before his banshees erase them.
Reply Quote
Air terran is pathetic, keep in mind, banshees have an energy bar...hmm what toss unit beats energy bars?? HIGH TEMPLAR! oh so do ravens come to think of it...whats that? he cloaked? PSIONIC STORM, think of high templar as the infestor of protoss, you should use them in every matchup (maybe not pvp as much though it is good). Storm shreds !@#$ up and vikings landed become as useful as a nuns %^-*.

Now assuming he masses air purely and now ground, he is mostl ikely a 1A scrub so he will bunch his air units up...what toss unit can attack air with spash damage? archons...how do you get archons? high templar ofcourse. Storm, feedback into archon GG EZ obviously use get other units like stalkers in the mix just for good measure...there's no point in trying to catch up with him in air so dont even bother with stargate.

Hmmm bronze zerg advice for PvT air question............
Reply Quote
Hello, I am a Silver Protoss player.
I had a Terran opponent who went on as Air army. Viking, Banshee, Ravens.
In this case, I have no idea how to deal with this air army.....
So could anyone tell me how to deal air Terran? :/
Phoenix + HT + Archon/zealot while using a handful of stalkers for initial defense.

You also need Speed Obs against pure starport play, but mind you, you have to be VERY careful not to lose those to viking/Raven. It is actually a little hard to play vs Sky Terran in WOL as Protoss, especially because of the obs sniping BS, but if you micro really well, you can beat it.
Reply Quote
I use this strategy when I play as terran. Mass phoenix is actually not a great response IME, as the T can just increase their raven/viking numbers and use PDDs to render the phoenixes useless.

Mass High Templar, however, shuts this down pretty hard. You can both feedback and storm cloaked banshees, plus they stack like crazy making storms even more effective.
Reply Quote
I use this strategy when I play as terran. Mass phoenix is actually not a great response IME, as the T can just increase their raven/viking numbers and use PDDs to render the phoenixes useless.

Mass High Templar, however, shuts this down pretty hard. You can both feedback and storm cloaked banshees, plus they stack like crazy making storms even more effective.

This is true of the late-ish game, but his first banshees will come at you before you can have obs+ HT-storm and units in usable amounts.

The phoenix is avaiable on time to deal with it early, and then HT tech should come into place.

I've to say though, if he adds more Vikings/Ravens you can add more Phoenixes as well, and with their mobility you can engage anywhere you want and bait PDDs and leave.
Reply Quote
Phoenix wreck all non-Battlecruiser air units, though they are still susceptible to PDDs and Hunter Seeker Missiles from Ravens.

A good mix of Archons and High Templars will greatly add devastating AoE damage to your opponent's fleet.
Reply Quote
I see so countering exact Air army isn't the best idea.

Thank you very much of advice everyone :)
Reply Quote
Vikings are not weak vs Phoenix, they trade relatively evenly

ROFLOL...*Gasp* I've laughed so much I almost ran out of oxygen.

1 v 1 a phoenix beats a Viking....It only gets worse for the vikings as the numbers go up.
100 vikings vs 100 phoenix=0 Vikings and 51 Phoenix remaining. So the lower cost isn't a good argument either.
Reply Quote
Protoss have every unit that shoot into the air, learn to keep macro up and get obs for banshees.

Try getting into gold and then complain about fighting all air terran. Maybe try doing 4 gate all ins.

Vikings suck vs pheonixs, 100 vs 100
all the vikings shoot one pheonix at a time and the pheonix by than wipe out the vikings lolol
Edited by VietCong on 2/2/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]