StarCraft® II

StarCraft II Art Tools Beta Bugs & Feedback

Developer
Please use this thread to report bugs or give feedback on the Art Tools Beta.

For reference, known issues (which can also be found in the Art Tools documentation in the "help/SC2ArtTools" folder installed with the tools) are listed below.

Known Issues

Materials
  • SC2 Bitmap is incompatible with the Mental Ray renderer.
    If the Mental Ray renderer is your current renderer, and there is an SC2 Bitmap either in the scene or in the material editor, all 3ds Max viewports may become unresponsive. We recommend that you avoid creating scenes that use both SC2 Bitmap and Mental Ray. Instead, we suggest when working with the StarCraft II Art Tools you use the 3ds Max Default Scanline Renderer, which can be set in Rendering (Menu) > Render Setup (Menu) > Common (Tab) > Assign Renderer (Rollup).
  • Under certain conditions, using the Slate Material Editor with SC2 Bitmap can cause 3ds Max to crash or freeze. We recommend that you use the Compact Material Editor when working with the StarCraft II Art Tools. This can be set from the Material Editor with Modes (Menu) > Compact Material Editor...
  • Under certain conditions, copying a material by dragging and dropping in the Material Editor can create "Phantom" parameters on SC2 Bitmap, such as "Jitter Placement". Editing these parameters may even cause 3ds Max to crash or freeze.

Export
  • If the currently active timeline is several thousand frames long, exporting may take a longer time than expected, even if those frames of animation are not used in the final m3 file. To get optimal export speeds, it is advisable to look at a smaller segment of animation, such as Frames 0-30, or whatever range defines your "Stand" animation.

Name Collisions
  • StarCraft II assumes that art assets have unique names. If multiple .SC2Mod files are loaded, and any of their assets share the same name, only the most recently loaded asset will show up. The others will be overwritten. We recommend that assets do not use generic names such as dirt or smoke. These names may already be used by StarCraft II, and it may alter the look of in-game units. To avoid name collisions between projects, mod makers are encouraged to come up with a prefix for their assets, textures in particular, with a project name, creator, or asset-specific prefix.

Examples:
  • In the tutorials, we use waterbat_diff.dds not diff.dds
  • The SC2BW or StarBow mods might use sc2bw_ or sbow_ prefixes, respectively, to avoid accidentally mangling art if they decided to share assets.
  • An artist named Phill, who wants to make a model anyone can use, might want to use something like phill_protosshero.m3 so that no one else's Protoss heroes accidentally cause problems if a map decides to use both.
  • Edited by Xuzaca on 2/7/2013 5:31 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    ----------------------------------------
    Documentation Feedback
    ----------------------------------------
    The documentation released with the art tools beta is fantastic! Congrats to whomever is responsible for it!

• In Tutorial 5 (Particles): Step 2 there is a link to "Nodes" which doesn't link there properly.
  • In Step 4 the directions state to choose an SC2 Standard Material but the screenshot not only doesn't highlight where to click to do this, but the screenshot says "Star2 Unit Mat" which is not the same and hinders this step greatly for users who haven't done this before.
  • In Step 6 "Channel Mask" is nowhere to be found to set the option "Choose R" though I did find "Choose R" under "Color Operations" so I'm guessing that's what we're supposed to be looking for.
  • In Step 7 The reader is asked to preview their work thus far, but has never been instructed to apply the material to the actual particle so nothing will show up to preview if they are following each step one at a time.
  • Node: Helpers: Attachment point: It would help many if this section explained what to do to make an attachment point stick to the center of the model vs. a moving point of the model.
  • Node: Helper: Physics: Shape Properties #11 - Typo: choosen instead of chosen
  • Node: Attachment Volumes: In the fourth statement under Volume Targets "only on per model" is written instead of "only one per model".
  • Appendix: Animation Guidelines: Animation: The second section refers to "frame rangers" instead of "frame ranges". Frame rangers do sound cool though. ;)
  • -----------------------------------
    Functionality Feedback
    -----------------------------------
  • When you use "preview" it would be really helpful if, when successful, it makes the editor cinematics window the active window automatically.
  • Having a hotkey for "preview" seems like it would increase workflow a lot.
  • -------------
    Bugs
    -------------

• When previewing my work in the cutscene editor, the duration of my scenes are sometimes inconsistent between seperate previews and alter for reasons I can't figure out. Right clicking it's blue animation bar and choosing "Reset Animation Duration" does nothing to remedy this either.
  • UPDATE 2/27/13: Particles seem to ignore in-game global time scale settings and are spawned based on the global timescale, but animate at a timescale 1.0 equivalent no matter what.
  • Edited by Vindicator on 2/27/2013 3:44 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    2 things I noticed right away,(I was looking for them :P) I didnt see anything about projections(Models that will go up ramps and go with the terrain example: Decals, or splats)(I was looking so I could get hero glow created, or take a wack at creating it myself).

and 2nd. I didnt see anyway to import current .m3 units, If its not in there, I believe an import function would GREATLY increase the possibilities, because maybe they dont want the entire model, but maybe they want like a colossus leg or something :DD, I mean if I Can learn max good enough I will probably make some kind of franken monster out of SC2 units :D.

Just the 2 things that I caught.
    Reply Quote
    i would like to have the ability to import m3 using these tools

also support for 3dsmax 2010, 2012 would be great aswell
    Edited by dRaGoN on 2/7/2013 8:48 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Found a typo in your helper objects tutorial part 20.

Instead of making the Ref_Center, and Ref_Overhead attachment points manually, there is actually an auto generation tool for the essential attackment points. It only creates the missing essential attackment points, so it would skip the 'Ref_Origin' that was already created earlier. Under 'SC2ArtTools > Helpers', invoke the 'Add Base Attachment Points' function. Both a Ref_Center and Ref_Overhead should have been automatically be added as a result.
    Reply Quote
    02/07/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Daara
    Found a typo in your helper objects tutorial part 20.

The license agreement for StarTools also has a typo it says "Starcraft III" somewhere along the lines, are we stuck with these startools up until Starcraft III, blizzard? Sometime along in 2027 lol.

The Program contains software which is utilized as a plug-in for Autodesk's 3ds max® software product to create certain art files that can produce standalone graphic illustrations, as well as operate in conjunction with the StarCraft ® III 'Campaign Editor' (the "Editor") to allow you to create custom levels or other materials ("New Materials") for your personal use in connection with Blizzard’s StarCraft® II interactive games ( “StarCraft II”).
    Edited by Corbo on 2/7/2013 9:44 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    i would like to have the ability to import m3 using these tools

also support for 3dsmax 2010, 2012 would be great aswell

I too was hoping for those possibilities to arrive, oh well, it would`ve made into the perfect toolkit with them. Some times you don`t want to create from scratch, but closely modify existing assets like Blizzard did for Aiur Chef with a zealot.

Having to resinstall my older 2011, and just use my prettier 2013 to model and export as FBX. XD
    Edited by Malachai on 2/8/2013 1:46 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    02/07/2013 07:13 PMPosted by IShadowWolf
    2 things I noticed right away,(I was looking for them :P) I didnt see anything about projections(Models that will go up ramps and go with the terrain example: Decals, or splats)(I was looking so I could get hero glow created, or take a wack at creating it myself).

With StarCraft 2, you could do hero glow with easy and even better/more.

WarCraft III hero glow came as billboard planes that pivot on a defined axis with Replaceable Textures swapped during gameplay for each team color, around feet always stayed horizontal in while weapons locked towards camera to falsify that it`s spherical. Both would have the planes stacked in layers to give it volume.

You can do the same, or any effect to represent 'hero glow'. As far as projecting. In theory, the tools allow for physics applied to independent nodes. Have the hero glow effect emit upwards with physics collisions although not sure how that`ll fare with particles as they`re different from geometry.

02/07/2013 07:13 PMPosted by IShadowWolf
    and 2nd. I didnt see anyway to import current .m3 units, If its not in there, I believe an import function would GREATLY increase the possibilities, because maybe they dont want the entire model, but maybe they want like a colossus leg or something :DD, I mean if I Can learn max good enough I will probably make some kind of franken monster out of SC2 units :D

Well at least we still have SC2Mapster, it`ll import the geometry, helpers, bones, and animations however it does seem to have problems with skinning & some effects.
    Reply Quote
    Lucky me, my mod did require the marine suite--already included in the example files including Raynor . I`ll be using that as my basis for "space suit" one could say, since my mod is based around Terrans race with the suit being "slap a head on it, now he`s good-to-go!".
    Reply Quote
    Projections are in Create panel -> Particle systens -> SC2Projector.
    I think so ;)
    Reply Quote
    need some way to scale existing models.
    alot of the models people have already created are extremely small apparently.

i've tried scaling models up, which works in the end. but 3dsmax becomes pretty unusable for that model. see image for example

http://imgur.com/uFuILGi
    Reply Quote
    blizz please give support for 3dsmax 2012 as that one seems to run the smoothest on my machine and i have a fairly good machine if not 2012 do 2010. 2011 is the worst version i have ever used imo, it's slow, crashes, and other good things so please give support for either 2010, 2012 or both if possible. have not used 2013 yet still need to download it but so far it is incompatible with the community's m3 import and export
    Edited by dRaGoN on 2/8/2013 9:03 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    "Community's m3 import and export" is not compatible with 2013. What's funnier is that it is not even fully compatible with 2012.

IMO it's better not to focus on other versions' support but on bug hunting for the current version which is 2011.
    Reply Quote
    i understand where you are coming from Leru but other versions should be supported as 2011 is outdated and most people have the newer versions as from my experience with 2011 has brought, it is slow and this is on a an Asus G74SX Laptop that can do 2012 no problem. and for the community's tools not fully supported on 2012 well it is and isnt, ive heard issues but ive never experienced them myself. it would be nice if blizz contacted Leruster on improving his importer as i know blizz dont need them as they have the .max files but we dont and having an importer will be nice that is fully compatible
    Edited by dRaGoN on 2/8/2013 10:22 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Well, Leru was taken (or something like that) on sc2mapster so I went with Leruster :)
    Edited by Leru on 2/8/2013 10:47 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    oh haha thanks for the clarification now i look stupid
    Edited by dRaGoN on 2/8/2013 11:07 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    To all who have installed the M3 maxscripts, please remove them.
    They cause an error when launching max with Blizz's tools. The error is specifically caused by Sc2ribbons.

Besides that, it's also good to do that because scripted objects and Art Tools have duplicating classes.
    Edited by Leru on 2/8/2013 12:17 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    To all who have installed the M3 maxscripts, please remove them.They cause an error when launching max with Blizz's tools. The error is specifically caused by Sc2ribbons.Besides that, it's also good to do that because scripted objects and Art Tools' have duplicating classes.

What would make you more awesome than ever!? Make the M3 scripts compliment Blizzard's tools. :)

Them being both for 2011, that is certainly nicer than WC3. You required 3DS Max 4 to export, but required 3DS Max 5 to import and therefore had to export/import between them as OBJ and hope for the best. XD
    Reply Quote
    I actually can't because of the license agreement (I'm sure you've read it :) ). Blizzard would have to grant me written permit to do that.

But let's not make an offtopic :) The discussion on this topic is already going on here http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/third-party-tools/963-m3-exporter/?page=53#p1055
    Reply Quote
    Word travels quick. 0.o

Anyways, I`ll glance at the agreement again. o.o
    I see what you`re saying, but you`re in no need of the StarTools to update scripts. How an asset enters doesn`t need to be the same as how it exists. In fact, everyone would be content for the import script to remain mostly intact but be redesigned to be more independent of the other scripts. :) Nobody is going to care as much anymore except the importing anyway, which if it was against EULA Blizzard would`ve knocked on your door anyway.

I`m more concerned with the existing HotS beta validation problem. Right now I have no access to HotS, regardless of my account displaying otherwise. Tools like preview or more may not even work and thus renders my ability to test the tools impossible.

Update: As I suspected, can not authenticate my beta in order to fully test the tools. lol oh well, broken dreams. The tools are useless to me now.
    Edited by Malachai on 2/8/2013 1:16 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]