StarCraft II Art Tools Beta Bugs & Feedback

It doesn't matter what goes in and what goes out. What is important is the result of import that you want to later export. And this is the part that is tricky.

Do a test: import something using M3 scripts and try to export it with Blizzard's tools. It won't work since Blizzard's tools won't recognize much except for the geometry part.

Since this is beta testing then removing the M3 scripts is relevant because it's causing interference which are beyond Blizzard's control.
Reply Quote
good thing is blizzard will see our concerns and probably make an importer
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 01:40 PMPosted by Leru
Since this is beta testing then removing the M3 scripts is relevant because it's causing interference which are beyond Blizzard's control.
When speaking in the scope of the current situation, then yes you make a point. lol

I am referring to future developments, future. :P
Doing final compositions on buggy tools would be crazy right now.

02/08/2013 01:40 PMPosted by Leru
Do a test: import something using M3 scripts and try to export it with Blizzard's tools. It won't work since Blizzard's tools won't recognize much except for the geometry part.

Well I think geometry & bones is all what concerns most people, that is where the unnecessary works comes from when wanting to just modify existing assets. Redoing everything else is matter of replacement. Example the import added attachment points, but as incorrect helpers...it's as simple as write down their XYZ and replace them with the official nodes. I did that for WC3, since often what was imported didn`t match what was required for exporting. I`m happy as long the geometry, bones, and animations were fine.
Edited by Malachai on 2/8/2013 2:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Right now waiting on the tools until the higher priority issue is resolved. I love that the tools actually integrated the editor, just the same if something wrong with editor you`re screwed. lol
Reply Quote
Multi/Sub-Object doesn't work with the SC2 materials. The model won't show up at all. This is a problem since we make heavy use of material channels.
Reply Quote
1. Noticed that in Ribbons, Mass times size multiplier's doesn't have any default value.
The spinner is not working. You have to type in the value.

2. When I choose "UNBOUNDED" on sc2force, the icon disappears. The helper is still there but it's not visible until I again select it (Select by name...) and disable UNBOUNDED.
Maybe a good idea to solve it would be to add a little "F" to the center of the icon so it would be visible no matter whether the force is working with or without bounds.

Link to a scene where it all happens (both Ribbon mass thing and unbounded force) https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ucf2rizssctwon/mass_unbounded.zip

3. After opening SC2ArtTools -> Utilities -> Properties lister, choosing from TYPES the SC2Projection filter I get this http://i.imgur.com/rp1YXuI.png message.

It's only there if the Projector helper present in the scene is set to PERSPECTIVE type.

If it's set to ORTHONORMAL, the Properties lister interprets that as PERSPECTIVE.

When I set the Projector type from the Properties lister:
- to Orthonormal, the Projector type is actually none. No type is selected in the helper object.
- to Perspective, the Projector type is set to Orthonormal.

http://i.imgur.com/IgYtPIv.png
http://i.imgur.com/Rxn0pMj.png

When using listener to check the type it gets me projector_type from 0 to 2 (having only 2 options ;) )

4. The same problem as with ribbon's Mass times size multiplier's occurs in SplineRibbon but with Inherit Parent Velocity and Mass times size multiplier as well.
I can type in the number but I can't use the spinner nor there is no default value
Edited by Leru on 2/9/2013 7:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
First thank you, this is a great tool.

When adding animation names with the Animations Props Floater there is no option for Unload or Unload End. The animation tutorial instructed me to add these animation cycles. I was able to add them by just tying in the names, but it seems like they should be on the list.
Reply Quote
Developer
need some way to scale existing models.
alot of the models people have already created are extremely small apparently.

i've tried scaling models up, which works in the end. but 3dsmax becomes pretty unusable for that model. see image for example

To fix the scale on existing models:
Utilities Panel > More... > Rescale World Units > Rescale
Use "100"

At this point, you should be good to go. If this results in not being able to see the model, Zoom Extents All on the model, and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then right click "Perspective" in the viewport window and enable "Viewport Clipping". Two arrows will show up on the right side of the viewport, and you can use these to adjust the near and far clipping planes of the camera to make it show up.

The exporter has an implicit 1/100 scaling factor (from generic Max units to in-game units) built in to take things from the units that our artists prefer to work in, to the game coordinate system. The export takes generic units. So no matter what your unit setup is, 100 will yield 1 in-game unit tall.
Edited by Xuzaca on 2/11/2013 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Developer
02/08/2013 04:57 PMPosted by UntamedLoli
Multi/Sub-Object doesn't work with the SC2 materials. The model won't show up at all. This is a problem since we make heavy use of material channels.

Without knowing what you're trying to achieve, it's hard to accurately describe the best fix. For in-game units, we just try to avoid the problem. Performance is better when a unit has only one material, so we strongly encourage that amongst our artists. If you can get everything onto a single texture sheet and material, that would likely be better.

However, if this is something you really need to do...

To finalize a storymode character with multiple materials, we do roughly this:
• Set material IDs as desired
• Add "Edit Normals" modifier
  • Select all Normals
  • Click "Make Explicit" (they should all turn green)
  • • Collapse the modifier stack
    • Duplicate the object
    • For each object:
  • "Polygon: Material IDs > Select ID" for the material channel wanted
  • "Edit > Invert selection"
  • Delete these faces
  • • Assign each material to each piece
    • The model should now export and look the same as if it were a multi-sub

This is a bit painful, because it means that the source asset becomes hard to edit. It may be beneficial for you to write a script that does this process to create a final model from your source asset.
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    We've seen posts discussing the abundance of red and blue boxes when opening the provided sample SC2 max files...there's a menu item for:

SC2ArtTools > Display > Expand SC2 Helpers and/or Collapse SC2 Helpers

We use these to get things out of the way of the art and animation. Hope this makes navigating those files easier!
    Edited by Xuzaca on 2/11/2013 10:36 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Is it ok if we just keep adding things to our original posts, or would you prefer we make new seperate posts?
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    Adding things to your original posts when they are a consolidated list of bugs/feedback like yours & Leru's are fine, Vindicator. Thanks!
    Reply Quote
    Am I missing something or can we not select the textures import path?

Exporting a model later requires the textures to be imported into the exact directory path (That means i.e. C:/program files/blizzard entertainment/tutorial files/more subfolders/even more/texture.tga)

You can absolutely set the import path to said directory name when importing your texture but in my opinion it'd be better if we could select the import path the textures will be embedded in the model with.

Otherwise we'll end up with really big directory paths in our map imports or even revealing user's personal information (for example the name of the user account is just one little case)
    Reply Quote
    02/11/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Xuzaca

Without knowing what you're trying to achieve, it's hard to accurately describe the best fix. For in-game units, we just try to avoid the problem. Performance is better when a unit has only one material, so we strongly encourage that amongst our artists. If you can get everything onto a single texture sheet and material, that would likely be better.

However, if this is something you really need to do...

To finalize a storymode character with multiple materials, we do roughly this:
    • Set material IDs as desired
    • Add "Edit Normals" modifier
  • Select all Normals
  • Click "Make Explicit" (they should all turn green)
  • • Collapse the modifier stack
    • Duplicate the object
    • For each object:
  • "Polygon: Material IDs > Select ID" for the material channel wanted
  • "Edit > Invert selection"
  • Delete these faces
  • • Assign each material to each piece
    • The model should now export and look the same as if it were a multi-sub

This is a bit painful, because it means that the source asset becomes hard to edit. It may be beneficial for you to write a script that does this process to create a final model from your source asset.

The models are one mesh rather than being broken up with multiple textures assigned via Material ID's. The latter half of that is more or less what I did to get around it. Cloning the model for each ID and deleting parts with other ID's.

Something else I came across that can be a bit of an annoyance is when setting up animations.

They have to be added in the order they are in on the track bar. If you have an animation that is set to 200-280. You can't add a new one that is earlier than that one like 30-110. The lowest start time is the end of the last one +1.

I know they can't be overlapping but I don't really need it to do it for me.
    Reply Quote
    I should have probably posted in here. I found an issue with 'Use Mopaq Textures' not correctly sourcing to Assets/Textures paths.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7923032260

I am currently testing Commit to see if it works for me, I will update shortly.
    Reply Quote
    02/08/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Malachai
    I`m happy as long the geometry, bones, and animations were fine.

Say you take the archon model. If you want only bones and animations and geometry then you will end up with naked Archon without that energy ball which is actually what makes an Archon right? ;)
    Same with Zealot - you won't have his dreadlocks and splines that he's leaving when attacking.

As for the feedback part:
    1. The Live update feature is so amazing :)

2. Noticed problem with flipbooks on projections.
    The image shows exactly what's going on
    http://i.imgur.com/UDEM7Om.png
    Red lines indicate where the geometry (to the top left) end and where is the projection effect on the ground (to the bottom right).

Both objects use the same material, with diffuse, emissive and alpha using acidsplash_anim1.dds found in StarCraft II assets.

The object to the left is a plane and the animation shows correctly.
    The projection however seems to interprate that a bit differently, as if there is an offset of the position of current animation frame.
    It doesn't matter how many rows/collums I set. The offset is still there.

Changing the offset (in coordinates tab) in sc2bitmap doesn't do anything. Tried different mapping types. Same thing happens in orthonormal and in perspective mode.

Here's the scene from which I was exporting:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wot4fe8nqv6oa9o/proj_anim.zip
    Edited by Leru on 2/14/2013 5:25 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    We can animate some numeric parameters in 3d max, for example material layer's rgb multiplier.

But by some reason can't animate material's emissive multiplier. Art tools animation tutorial said that it's good to fade out emissive team color on death animation. So, I tried to change material's emissive multiplier in with turned on autokey, bu it didn't become animated (didn't get a key).
    Reply Quote
    Zolden, try animating RGB multiply/Add on the layer level instead. Works like a charm :)
    Reply Quote
    It's what I did, but they work a bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfBDXCGLTEM

Check death animation, I simply wanted to fade out its team color emissive, but it didn't get animated. So, I tried to affect emissive layer's rgb multiplier, and it worked weird, whole model filled with team color or ged black, depending on the direction I animate the parameter.

So, I had to fade out diffuse layer ;/
    Edited by Zolden on 2/16/2013 12:22 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]