StarCraft II Art Tools Beta Bugs & Feedback

Developer
I have a question on material types:
There are available materials such as "Doodad", SpecialFX" and "Building". They seem to look exactly the same as the Standard material does.
Is it better to use those materials for (respectively) doodads, particles (?) and buildings instead of the standard one?

Using "Doodad," "Building," or "SpecialFX" should be equivalent to using "Standard," though it's preferable to use "Standard" these days. At one time, those material types existed separately, but we folded them all together. They continue to exist as stubs to support some very old models we have at Blizzard, but they shouldn't be necessary for any new model.

And thanks for the kind impressions on the Art Tools, Leru! The developers responsible for creating and maintaining them frequent these forums and really appreciate the time and effort you and the other testers are investing in putting them through their paces.
Reply Quote
I have a question on material types:
There are available materials such as "Doodad", SpecialFX" and "Building". They seem to look exactly the same as the Standard material does.
Is it better to use those materials for (respectively) doodads, particles (?) and buildings instead of the standard one?

Using "Doodad," "Building," or "SpecialFX" should be equivalent to using "Standard," though it's preferable to use "Standard" these days. At one time, those material types existed separately, but we folded them all together. They continue to exist as stubs to support some very old models we have at Blizzard, but they shouldn't be necessary for any new model.

And thanks for the kind impressions on the Art Tools, Leru! The developers responsible for creating and maintaining them frequent these forums and really appreciate the time and effort you and the other testers are investing in putting them through their paces.

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for your reply.

But other materials lik 'SC2 terrain' still have some differences with SC2 Standard, aren't they? Or they are all like the SC2 Standard?
Edited by Renee on 3/19/2013 1:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would love it if the ability to create omni lights that cast shadows could be added.
Reply Quote
Developer
But other materials lik 'SC2 terrain' still have some differences with SC2 Standard, aren't they? Or they are all like the SC2 Standard?

Hey Renee! SC2 Composite, SC2 Terrain, SC2 Displacement, SC2 Creep, SC2 Baked Splat, SC2 Volume, and SC2 Volume Noise are all special case materials. They have their purposes and we're working on the documentation for them (you can see the grayed-out list of materials that are expected to be used in the "Materials" section of the Art Tools Documentation).

A super-quick overview to cover us until the documentation is updated:
  • SC2 Terrain uses the terrain textures painted below it in the Terrain Editor
  • SC2 Composite combines multiple different SC2 Materials
  • SC2 Displacement creates distortion effects
  • SC2 Creep lets the user define specific geometry to accept creep
  • SC2 Baked Splat is for special optimized SC2 Projectors
  • SC2 Volume is for volumetric fog
  • SC2 Volume Noise is for noisy volumetric fog
  • Reply Quote
    03/20/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Xuzaca

Hey Renee! SC2 Composite, SC2 Terrain, SC2 Displacement, SC2 Creep, SC2 Baked Splat, SC2 Volume, and SC2 Volume Noise are all special case materials. They have their purposes and we're working on the documentation for them (you can see the grayed-out list of materials that are expected to be used in the "Materials" section of the Art Tools Documentation).

A super-quick overview to cover us until the documentation is updated:
  • SC2 Terrain uses the terrain textures painted below it in the Terrain Editor
  • SC2 Composite combines multiple different SC2 Materials
  • SC2 Displacement creates distortion effects
  • SC2 Creep lets the user define specific geometry to accept creep
  • SC2 Baked Splat is for special optimized SC2 Projectors
  • SC2 Volume is for volumetric fog
  • SC2 Volume Noise is for noisy volumetric fog

• Thats very helpful. Thank you!
    Reply Quote
    We have just started my project (Shield Battery). Geometry is complete, the tool works perfectly.
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/media/attachments/37/72/ShieldBattery.jpg
    Reply Quote
    Physics Bodies i can not find it anywhere. Should my bridges.
    Reply Quote
    THere is a tiny bug: if we create a particle and set its shape to a cylinder or a disc, and then enable inner shape and try to modify it, it doesn't draw the inner shape like it does with box or spehere or other shapes.
    Reply Quote
    I think, there is another thing to fix. If I use Composite material, and set Priority of its inner materials, it doesn't work like it supposed to.

I used to create glass materials by using 2 meshes, one with Displacement material and lower priority, and another one with Standard material with add mode, specular map and higher priority. So, the "glass" made of two meshes has refraction and undistorted specular effect.

Now I tried to use only one mesh with Composite material, with the 2 materials inside, but priority thing didn't work, and the specular spot stayed displaced.
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    THere is a tiny bug: if we create a particle and set its shape to a cylinder or a disc, and then enable inner shape and try to modify it, it doesn't draw the inner shape like it does with box or spehere or other shapes.

Good catch, Zolden. We've implemented a fix for this and will make it available in a future update to the tools. Thanks!
    Edited by Xuzaca on 4/2/2013 2:47 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    I think, there is another thing to fix. If I use Composite material, and set Priority of its inner materials, it doesn't work like it supposed to.

I used to create glass materials by using 2 meshes, one with Displacement material and lower priority, and another one with Standard material with add mode, specular map and higher priority. So, the "glass" made of two meshes has refraction and undistorted specular effect.

Now I tried to use only one mesh with Composite material, with the 2 materials inside, but priority thing didn't work, and the specular spot stayed displaced.

Composite materials draw in the order of the material layers starting at 1 and going down the list. To make displacement draw first, set it in material layer 1. To make the displacement affect all previous layers, move the displacement to the last spot on the composite material.

Composite materials only use the first material layer priority and ignore all other material layer priorities.
    Edited by Xuzaca on 4/2/2013 2:53 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    Physics Bodies i can not find it anywhere. Should my bridges.

Havoc, we're not totally clear on what you're asking here, but assuming you need info on how to get into "create" mode for physics bodies:

1. Go to the "Create" Panel (Tab on the right hand side of 3ds Max)
    2. Choose the "Helpers" Object Type (Looks like a tape measure)
    3. Make sure you are looking in the "Standard" Category (Dropdown List)
    4. Click the "SC2Physics" button.

There's a tutorial in the Art Tools documentation that you should check out as well. From the 3ds Max top menu choose SC2ArtTools -> SC2ArtTools Help and use the navigation pane on the left side to select Tutorials -> Physics.

GLHF!!
    Edited by Xuzaca on 4/5/2013 1:55 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    thank you very much
    Reply Quote
    Maybe this has been asked, but do all the files(model/texture/etc) just magically get stored in your SC2mod file when you hit commit? I am planning to create an entirely new race and was curious exactly where all my files are going to end up(for distribution purposes so people can play my mod when I'm done) and/or what happens when I am done and hit "publish"

Perhaps I have not read through the tutorials thoroughly enough, but I did not see this mentioned anywhere.

Thanks!
    Reply Quote
    Developer
    Hedhunta, take a look at the Commit Models tutorial for details on how to get models committed to your mod via the Art Tools:

From the 3ds Max top menu, choose SC2ArtTools -> SC2ArtTools Help and use the navigation pane on the left side to select Tutorials -> Commit Models.

Let us know how it goes for you.
    Reply Quote
    That answered my question. Thanks. I am currently reinstalling max 2011 since the plugins to not work at all in 2013(they wont even load, max 2013 barfs out like 100 errors on bootup).

Again thanks for your help, and if you develop a fix for making it work in 2013 please let us know :)
    Reply Quote
    If I setup an environment kind of material, but forget to change environment layer's Mapping (there is "Explicit UV 1" by default) to "Reflective Cubic Env", and try to preview the model, max crashes.

I know, it's my fault, but I'd prefer to see the material simply not be shown instead of having max crashed and then remaking unsaved changes.
    Reply Quote
    The description for Node: Effect: Projector - 14. 'Hold' (Splat Lifetimes) in the art tools documentation is confusing. I think it's supposed to be the time between the end of 'Attack' and the beginning of 'Decay', but the first sentence is the same as the first sentence of 'Attack', making it look like 'Attack' and 'Hold' are the same.
    Edited by MadProgrammr on 4/11/2013 7:43 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I find these tools to be among the best art mod tools for any game I've ever modded and I've been modding since I got Forge and Anvil for Marathon Infinity.My comments and issues:
    Animation tutorial; Typo: Line reads: "extends from frame 100 to frame 95"
    should read:"extends from frame 100 to frame 195."
    Particle tutorial; broken link: step 7: "Cutscene Editor" link doesn't work.
    there are also noticeable differences between the instructions in the particle tutorial and the set up of the particles in the max files:the supplied files have "squirt amount" set to 20 and speed set to 1 yet the tutorial doesn't even mention these settings, particle speeds default to 100. also the supplied files have the material's mask's rgb multiply set to 2. also the tutorial says to set the blend mode to "blend" but the files use "add" as such the supplied max files with particles look different (and better) than what I got following the tutorial.
    My only other criticism of the particle tutorial is previewing the particle system, the particles might be hard to see. it would be nice if the tutorial included tips for making the particles more visible such as in the example pics, i.e. hiding the terrain(easy enough) and changing the background color (not as easy).
    Lastly: WaterBalloonDrop_Tutorial02_Final.max when previewed doesn't work( all the physics helpers don't have their "Key" button selected
    Reply Quote
    How do me make m3a files anyone know?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]