StarCraft® II

StarCraft II Art Tools Beta Bugs & Feedback

How do me make m3a files anyone know?

In the exporter floater, change the output from Complete to Anim and then export.
Reply Quote
Thanks don't know how I missed that
Reply Quote
Developer
If I setup an environment kind of material, but forget to change environment layer's Mapping (there is "Explicit UV 1" by default) to "Reflective Cubic Env", and try to preview the model, max crashes.

Thanks for finding that crash, Zolden! Our intention in situations like that is to warn the user, but not crash max, so we would definitely like to hear about these types of finds during the beta in order to handle them gracefully. We've implemented a fix for this particular issue that we'll include in a future tools update, but in the meantime know that the problem appears isolated to 32-bit versions of the plugin.
Reply Quote
Personally, My biggest criticism right now is the lack of documentation, I assume the missing pages will be filled in eventually. there are also no samples of structures(being built or destroyed in particular. it would also be helpful if there was some documentation explaining how certain effects were achieved such as Protoss warp-in effects or Zerg build or organic effects.
That said Protoss "birth" models have the animations:"Stand build Start," "Stand Build," and "Stand build End."but these animation names are not part of the Anim Props Floater
Edited by Tsumetai on 4/26/2013 5:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah we definitely need more documentation and samples. My biggest problem is working things out, other then that the tools seem to work well.
Reply Quote
Quick question: Will animation done with the squash and stretch modifier export properly?
Reply Quote
Developer
Quick question: Will animation done with the squash and stretch modifier export properly?

Unfortunately Squash, Stretch, and similar modifiers are not likely to work. StarCraft II uses skeletal animation, so we export a snapshot of the vertices and bones as they exist at Frame 0. For animation we export only updates to bones and other animatable channels. Animated squash and stretch deform the vertices dynamically, which would not be exported. Using modifiers to get the desired look for the base mesh at Frame 0, however, should work.
Reply Quote
Ah that's too bad, I guess I can fake some of that stuff using bones though. Which brings me to another few questions: Is there a limit to the number of bones you can use for the model during animation, or a limit on the number of bones a vertex can be skinned to?

Oh, and since sc2 is a RTS there might be a lot of instances of the model, so do you have a recommended ratio of instances/triangle polys?
Thanks for your help and the art tools! They're really great!
Reply Quote
How to get mesh using ingame ground textures on the model itself? I know its something about texture applied on the model, material properties..
Reply Quote
TwoDie -> Use "Terrain Material" on the model.
Edited by Leru on 5/5/2013 7:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Does the exporter work with the Point Cache modifier? That would be one way to handle dynamic vertex operations...
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Xuzaca
Unfortunately Squash, Stretch, and similar modifiers are not likely to work.

You may say that the Point Cache is in the same group of modifiers.
Reply Quote
Developer
Is there a limit to the number of bones you can use for the model during animation, or a limit on the number of bones a vertex can be skinned to?

Oh, and since sc2 is a RTS there might be a lot of instances of the model, so do you have a recommended ratio of instances/triangle polys?

It is strongly recommended that a unit be under 64 bones for performance reasons. They will render slower if they use more bones. The hard limit for bones is around 255 per-material, but this is only used in Story Mode in StarCraft II.

Vertices are capped at 4 influences. In the case of more than 4 influences, the largest 4 influences will be used and normalized. Other similar constraints can be found in the documentation under "Animation > Guidelines".

We generally budget render resources based on how many units can be on screen at once. For StarCraft II, this is related to the 200-food supply cap. You can look at the examples provided with the Art Tools for exact numbers, but we generally target roughly 800-1500 triangles per supply.
Edited by Xuzaca on 5/8/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
You may say that the Point Cache is in the same group of modifiers.

Thanks for your continued helpfulness, Leru! You're right here as well - the Point Cache modifier is another mesh-deformer. It, like other mesh modifiers, is snapshotted at frame 0. Its animation will not be exported.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 10:59 AMPosted by Xuzaca
Thanks for your continued helpfulness, Leru!

:*
Reply Quote
There are two models done (Shield Battery and Psi Distrupter) plugin worked well.
Little inconvenience to the max animation time does not match the game animation time.

I can not find the "use terrain HDR multiplier" checkbox in the plugin, any idea where is it?

Here is my work:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/artist-tavern/44063-showcase-kailniriss-models/?page=7#p136

edit:
I found a good option "Exclude from highlighting". Correct now.

http://www.sc2mapster.com/media/attachments/39/289/Screenshot2013-05-16_11_43_16.jpg
Edited by Havoc on 5/16/2013 3:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd like to use a mesh as a particle.

So, tried to use "model" as particle instance. Added a mesh to a group, selected that group via particle emitter's "model selector", previewed, but the model appeared as no-model-sphere. Any notes?
Reply Quote
Developer
I'd like to use a mesh as a particle.

So, tried to use "model" as particle instance. Added a mesh to a group, selected that group via particle emitter's "model selector", previewed, but the model appeared as no-model-sphere. Any notes?

This is a bug we had only recently found in the public art tools. We've implemented a fix and it should be ready to use in the next update, but sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Once they're functional again, please use care when using Model Particles - they can look really good, but carry a high performance cost. They should be used sparingly, and with lower particle counts than most other particle systems.

True Model Particles story from the Chronicles of StarCraft II Development:

We had a sudden, dramatic drop in performance in our builds during WoL development. After some debugging, it was discovered that the Thor unit model had been inadvertently added to a very common particle system used across the game. Thousands of Thors are apparently not good for performance...nerf Thors!
Reply Quote
Developer
Hey Havoc,

Little inconvenience to the max animation time does not match the game animation time.

It should match, for Normal Speed at least. Is your 3dsMax timeline set to playback at 30 frames per second? Do you have an example where it does not line up properly?

I can not find the "use terrain HDR multiplier" checkbox in the plugin, any idea where is it?

The Use Terrain HDR Multiplier option is set automatically for cliff models, and implicit when something uses "SC2 Terrain Material." The flag is not settable from the art tools themselves.

For StarCraft II, it is common to create doodads for a specific tileset. We normally match specular intensities for doodads by using the "Specular Multiplier" value in the "HDR" Rollout for "SC2 Standard Material."

edit:
I found a good option "Exclude from highlighting". Correct now.

It's looking great! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
Reply Quote
I am having trouble with with a model I am attempting to export, While the animations appear to have exported, the mesh itself refuses to export. Thus I end up with some pointless animations, and a lot of frustration. I don't know what to look for, or why it is doing this, so maybe I should post the max file? or pm it to someone?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]