I play with one hand.

Greetings everyone! I am here, because I saw that their were very few forums about one handed play. I've been playing video games with one hand since the age of three due to stroke. SC2 is a fantastic game, where I destroy people with only using my left hand. I thought I would explain some of my unit ability button configuration, so maybe it would help other people with disabilities play this amazing game! I'm a Platinum Protoss, but as of now I'm playing random in Gold leagues trying to gain a better understanding of the game. I would say my mechanics are pretty good, but always room for improvement! I have good muscle memory, so I can macro without looking down at the keyboard.

Other than that I have been kicking around the idea of getting a twitch account with a cam, but my worries is I won't be that popular. Do you think its worth it? Do you think I would get a good fan base, or will I be popular one week and the next week I'll be old news?

Please tell me your thoughts or better ways to improve my one handed play.

Protoss
Hold Position - Tab
ForceFields, Storm, and Blink - CapsLock
Feedback - `

Terran
Hold Position - Tab
Stim - `
Seige - Capslock

Zerg
Larvae Inject- `
Hold position - Tab
Corruption - Capslock

OneHandedMan : 200
Add me if you want :-)
Reply Quote
Nice amazing you can play with 1 hand, so just wondering, you had a stroke when you were 3?
Reply Quote
So how do you control the mouse?
Reply Quote
Good job making it to plat with one hand! Now out of curiosity which race is hardest to play with one hand?
Reply Quote
You are amazing, way to go.

I don't mean to impose or make this weird or anything, but do you have any videos of you playing? I'd love to see what that looks like in action.

edit: herp derp reading comprehension... Yes, I obviously would like to see that
Edited by Badloss on 2/1/2013 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes, from a birth defect, but I've managed to not let it get in the way of what I want to do with life.
Reply Quote
My left hand is always on the mouse pretty much 85% of the time, but I try to always keep my thumb on `, Tab, or Caps... in that general area.
Reply Quote
Imo, it would be interesting to watch you play, but I honestly doubt players will keep coming back to watch you play more after they get over the one-handed gaming concept.

This is, of course, just my opinion.
Edited by Blasco on 2/1/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Imo, it would be interesting to watch you play, but I honestly doubt players will keep coming back to watch you play more after they get over the one-handed gaming concept.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Yeah, that was my thought too, because I'm not that good. Although I have thought of using the stream for other activities, such as Modeling in Autodesk Maya or sculpting in Zbrush. I'm a senior 3D animation major.
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 03:16 PMPosted by FajitaEata
Good job making it to plat with one hand! Now out of curiosity which race is hardest to play with one hand?

Since I've been playing all three a lot lately its hard to pick out my worst.
Reply Quote
Badass dood. It's funny this is what you made your name XD
Reply Quote
I thought the OP was going to make a wank off joke.
Edited by NightHawk on 2/1/2013 4:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
First, let me say that your story is truly heartwarming. I've heard dozens of stories of people with major disabilities overcoming those disabilities to do the things they love, and it never becomes any less awesome or incredible. Your passion for this game inspires me to become better at it myself.

Now, I know you're left-handed, but do you think you could benefit from an MMO-style mouse like this (I couldn't find any left-handed versions)?:

http://amzn.to/14vNqd1

You could program ctrl + # or shift + # onto the first row in order to set up unit hotkeys, access those hotkeys on the second row, and program unit hotkeys to the fourth row (you'll have to do a lot of re-hotkeying, but you'll be able to have a quick hotkey for every ability on every unit) with an extra one or two left over for anything else you have the need for.

That is, of course, if you could use the keys on the left side of the mouse or if you could find one designed for left-handed people, but I think it could be highly beneficial.

Also, kudos to you for playing random! :D
Edited by HeReTiC on 2/1/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
First, let me say that your story is truly heartwarming. I've heard dozens of stories of people with major disabilities overcoming those disabilities to do the things they love, and it never becomes any less awesome or incredible. Your passion for this game inspires me to become better at it myself.

Now, I know you're left-handed, but do you think you could benefit from an MMO-style mouse like this (I couldn't find any left-handed versions)?:

http://amzn.to/14vNqd1

You could program ctrl + # or shift + # onto the first row in order to set up unit hotkeys, access those hotkeys on the second row, and program unit hotkeys to the fourth row (you'll have to do a lot of re-hotkeying, but you'll be able to have a quick hotkey for every ability on every unit) with an extra one or two left over for anything else you have the need for.

That is, of course, if you could use the keys on the left side of the mouse or if you could find one designed for left-handed people, but I think it could be highly beneficial.

Also, kudos to you for playing random! :D

Thanks for the input, but I like the setup now, and I have a mouse with three extra buttons that are setup hotkeys, but I barely use them.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I was just talking to my friend about how physically disabled people who can make Platinum (literally my exact words) were more impressive to me than people in high master league. You're an inspiration, friend. Do you play other PC games?
Reply Quote
Respect man, that's pretty awesome. If you beat someone and they BM you, you can just remind them that you literally beat them with one hand.
Reply Quote
you sir, are a hero to gamers everywhere. Game on!
Reply Quote
02/01/2013 02:50 PMPosted by OneHandedMan
Other than that I have been kicking around the idea of getting a twitch account with a cam,

Speaking of kicking, have you looked into foot switches/pedals? I'm not really knowledgeable about them but there are so many things you can plug into USB now. That is, if you're able to use them (how bad was this stroke?).
Edited by Gehirn on 2/1/2013 7:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
Making gold as random with one hand is very impressive.
Reply Quote
pssssshhh playing one handed, way too OP, OP!!!!! seriously though thats pretty bad a$$ good luck getting farther maybe ill run into you on ladder
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]