StarCraft® II

Terrain causing misses

I know in BW the trees and doodads could cause shots to miss, or shooting from low to high ground gave a chance to miss even with vision...my question is, why did that not transfer to sc2?
Reply Quote
1)Broodwars a great game go play it.
2)Because blz wants sc2 to be determined by skill and not randomized factors over which no one has control.
Reply Quote
RNG factors are terrible for strategy games. Why is this a question?
Reply Quote
so ur saying that having this factor into the game would be a bad idea? i think it would make for greater gameplay to have terrain advantages again.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 01:04 AMPosted by Mollyslama
i think it would make for greater gameplay to have terrain advantages again.

You do have a terrain advantage in SC2. Air units are required for vision up cliffs, and the way the ramps are designed gives you a far better concave if you have the high ground.

It shouldn't be made any more drastic as turtling is rewarded too much as it is in SC2, this is why we have such a ridiculously economy based metagame.

02/02/2013 12:59 AMPosted by Blasphemy
RNG factors are terrible for strategy games.

This is what it basically comes down to. Nothing should come down to chance in an RTS. It's very bad design.
Reply Quote
if its very bad design why was bw such a success
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Mollyslama

1)Broodwars a great game go play it.
2)Because blz wants sc2 to be determined by skill and not randomized factors over which no one has control.
Reply Quote
02/02/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Mollyslama

Because players weren't abusing high ground/terrain left and right.....Based on some of the Brood War games that I have seen, the tournament maps had very minimal Terrain..So the high-ground/Terrain advantages rarely ever had an effect.

Strategy games should not rely on chance. The best "Terrain advantages" that you could have are sight and possibly a % damage reduction. The % damage reduction is pushing it.
Reply Quote
my marines are drug addicts and drink too much and miss all the time =[
Reply Quote

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]