StarCraft® II

coffee and sc2

I have a high win to loss ratio because of coffee! Anyone feels this way? Now I can't play unless I have my cup of coffee next to me. I can't explain it but the uppidity feeling of coffee makes me play so much better in terms of making me want to expand faster, macro and micro better while keeping my fingers going and going because I can't stop this feeling!

It is as though I am playing in "Faster" and they are playing "Fast"!
Reply Quote
its because the coffee makes you more alert and helps you concentrate. you might also have developed a placebo effect.
Edited by Enigma on 2/8/2013 5:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Keep in mind, the effect is only temporary.
Reply Quote
Zealot Chef was better.
Reply Quote
I like to drink Coke while I play, myself. I can't drink coffee because it violates my religious doctrine.

02/08/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Enigma
you might also have developed a placebo effect.

A placebo effect is where someone who doesn't receive a certain treatment (hence the name placebo effect) but believes they have been given said treatment experiences some sort of change as a result of the mental aspect of believing to have received that treatment (i.e. a reduction in pain after taking a sugar pill or before the painkiller has actually taken effect). This isn't quite the same, as the coffee would have to be non-caffeinated sugar-free in order to remove its stimulants and have it be considered a placebo.

I see what you mean, though: he thinks the coffee helps, so his improved mentality improves his gameplay. You could call this the Hawthorne effect, meaning that experimenting with caffeine while playing altered his gameplay as a result of the experiment itself (the caffeine may or may not have had anything to do with it).
Edited by HeReTiC on 2/8/2013 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote="78712087457"]I like to drink Coke while I play, myself. I can't drink coffee because it violates my religious doctrine.

What? Not to turn this into a religious debate, but what religion restricts you from caffine?
Reply Quote
I like to drink Coke while I play, myself. I can't drink coffee because it violates my religious doctrine.

you might also have developed a placebo effect.

A placebo effect is where someone who doesn't receive a certain treatment (hence the name placebo effect) but is said to have been given said treatment experiences some sort of change as a result of the mental aspect of believing to have received a treatment. This isn't quite the same, as he'd have to have non-caffeinated, sugar-free coffee in order to remove the stimulants from the drink and consider it a placebo.

I see what you mean, though: he thinks the coffee helps, so his improved mentality improves his gameplay. You could call this the Hawthorne effect, meaning that experimenting with caffeine while playing altered his gameplay as a result of the experiment itself (the caffeine may or may not have had anything to do with it).

placebo effect or whatever. the fact the he thinks that drinking coffee helps his play will actually improve his play in addition to whatever effects the coffee actually had.
Edited by Enigma on 2/8/2013 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
placebo effect or whatever. the fact the he think that drinking coffee helps his play will actually improve his play in addition to whatever effects the coffee actually had.

Again, I understand your point. I just thought I'd clear things up and educate you so that you can use a more accurate term in the future. I'm not disagreeing or attempting to argue with you.
Edited by HeReTiC on 2/8/2013 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Coffee makes me lose more. I tend to get impatient and end up pulling horrible things. I play the best when I'm tired lol
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:26 PMPosted by HeReTiC
placebo effect or whatever. the fact the he think that drinking coffee helps his play will actually improve his play in addition to whatever effects the coffee actually had.

Again, I understand your point. I just thought I'd clear things up and educate you so that you can use a more accurate term in the future. I'm not disagreeing or attempting to argue with you.

What religion restricts you from drinking coffee?
Reply Quote
I consider coffee a drug. Based on what I've seen, it gets pretty addicting.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:32 PMPosted by FtSMyke

I'm LDS.

02/08/2013 05:33 PMPosted by VIPER

Coffee itself isn't a drug, but the caffeine it contains is a most definitely a drug. That may be misleading as caffeine doesn't have the same major negative health effects as other drugs, but it certainly can be addicting--and most Americans, I'd say, are hooked on it.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:32 PMPosted by FtSMyke

Mormonism maybe?

lol
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Lucky
I have a high win to loss ratio because of coffee! Anyone feels this way? Now I can't play unless I have my cup of coffee next to me.

Water and nutrients and electrolytes will provide the energy boost similar to coffee without relying on caffeine to accomplish an increase in nervous system activity.

Other tips

Some simple exercises to get your brain totally going is to touch your right ear with your left hand, and vice versa. The more complicated the better. I personally use my left hand to touch my right ear while my right hand is touching my nose, then switch so my right hand touches my left ear and my left hand is on the nose.

The idea is to get the right side of the brain talking to the left; the left to the right, the front to the back and the back to the front.
Edited by RootKit on 2/8/2013 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote

I'm LDS.

Coffee itself isn't a drug, but the caffeine it contains is a most definitely a drug. That may be misleading as caffeine doesn't have the same major negative health effects as other drugs, but it certainly can be addicting--and most Americans, I'd say, are hooked on it.

LDS...Later Day Saints?
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 05:57 PMPosted by FtSMyke
LDS...Later Day Saints?

Indeed.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:32 PMPosted by HeReTiC
Indeed.

Better than SDA at least you could eat bacon as a kid.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:32 PMPosted by HeReTiC
LDS...Later Day Saints?

Indeed.

Well, at least you aren't pushing it down my throat :P.

Back on topic, he could make his own home made gaterade. Water, a bit of salt, a bit of sugar. That's all gaterade is.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 06:39 PMPosted by FtSMyke

Thank you for allowing me to practice my religion despite your dislike for it. I'll be sure to run all of my remarks, publications, petitions, and places of assembly through you, too.
Reply Quote
02/08/2013 07:26 PMPosted by HeReTiC

Thank you for allowing me to practice my religion despite your dislike for it. I'll be sure to run all of my remarks, publications, petitions, and places of assembly through you, too.

Not sure if sarcastic or real...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]