Work on a new map or just wait for HotS?

I'm fairly new at Starcrat 2 and I just got into the editor. I've been trying to put turrets that will be operational on moveable units. So far I've only had success with buildings. Interfacing with the data editor requires a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning and thus far it's been a pain.

The tutorials on how to place turrets on units reminds me of when I took a Computer Graphics course... Going through a 200+ step tutorial printed in small text in a 1,500+ page book was a freaking NIGHTMARE. Then if you mess up at one part, you have to re-iterate though ALL of the previous steps. It's like being boxed into a prison and all the data and parameters are the walls.

So ya... I think Blizzard should make an intermediary for unit creation. It would kind of be like the cutscene viewer/editor to my knowledge. It would be nice if such an 'unit forge' could be accessed by just simply right-clicking on a placed unit or though the data editor.

Once you go into the unit forge, the respective unit could be modified using various tools that include placing objects. So instead of spending a several hours like I have trying to place a turret on a moveable object, you could just simply go into the unit forge and place a turret on an unit. Plus all the custom attributes and additions could be localized to a specific unit, so creating / managing a map with numerous modified units wouldn't be EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming.
Edited by SuiWafflez on 2/8/2013 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
The process of placing an unit on another unit as it is now in this editor:

Go to the data editor. Select a specific unit. Duplicate that unit. Make some 'effects'. Make some 'weapons'. Make some 'turrets'. Go back and associate values to the duplicated unit. Make some 'models'. Make some 'actors'. Make some more actors. Make even more actors. Create some 'events' within those actors.

All the while, you have to scroll though little drop down boxes with HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of values.

Test the map. Wait for the map to load. Find out it didn't work. Go through all the above ALL OVER AGAIN.

You get the model to be placed on the unit, now you have to reposition it though manually adjusting X, Y, Z and angular values. Go though most of the above over again. Wait for the map to load dozens of times to see the results.

Finished. Time taken: HOURS AND HOURS.

The process of placing an unit on another unit with an unit forge:

Select a specific unit. Go into the unit forge with it. Place another unit within the current unit forge. Position it.

Finished. Time taken: Minutes.
Edited by SuiWafflez on 2/8/2013 5:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Let's not forget variable / value management either. Like I included above, you often have to scroll though hundreds of values to find what you're looking for. If you make numerous customs units, you also have to create multiple totally different values for each custom unit. This results in there being a overwhelming amount of values being present.

If you don't go about creating those numerous units with a sophisticated management system made by yourself, you'll lose track of which created value go to which custom units. This then resulting in you having to backtrack and debug which is very time consuming and intricate.

I read somewhere that there will be a debugger in the HotS editor, but they need to focus on management systems first. In a lot of cases, there would be no reason to debug if there was adequate management in the first place.

Good data management would involve adding customizable libraries and a more intuitive user interface. Also a way of containing or 'localizing' associative values for a specific object would be great. An example of that would be the unit forge like in my previous post. Easily utilizing localized value globally would be needed as well. For example, being able to easily change some values of a unit placed within a unit (using the unit forge) though triggers.

For easily managing events and triggers, dynamic user interfacial mind maps would work great. They would intuitively display desired events within the map in a chronological way with possible sequences budding out from events / triggers that would graphically look like nodes. Not only would this be a great management system, it would also function as a debugger if some sequencing is off.

All this could then be incorporated with the new user interface designer. If all this was added, game design could be actualized with much less effort and dedication. This would then lead to user generated content being much more diverse and having greater depth to it.
Edited by SuiWafflez on 2/8/2013 6:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]