StarCraft® II

SC2 music is forgettable and unmemorable

I've been listening to SC1 music today. Quite frankly it utterly crushes SC2's soundtrack.

Maybe you dont agree. Yet I believe SC1's music is much more memorable than SC2's music which lacks the synthetic-techno-retro vibe of the 90s.

Especially in the case of terrans, this synthetic-techno-retro vibe, combined with rock instruments, just make you pumped like hell for intergalactic warfare.

Instead, in SC2, we get a lousy, boring, ''hey it's space far-west'' style of music. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Zerg music in SC2 dont inspire terror at all, compared to the quite terrifying music the Zerg had in SC1.

Protoss music is like, uh, what? It isnt as mystical and doesnt inspire the same ''eternal wisdom'' the SC1 Protoss music conveyed. The only redeeming factor in it is a small portion in which some of the SC1 Protoss music is being played.

In the end, I just cant relate, identify or memorize any of the soundtracks in SC2.

SC1's musics are so anchored in my head I could recognize them anytime or even play them in my head. These musics CONVEY the feeling of your race. They bolster you to battle your enemies and accompany you through combat in their full might.

SC2's musics, in comparison, are in the ''background''. They're just there, but never with you, in battle, in combat. Just little, forgettable, tunes...

What do you people think? :S
Edited by Hugo on 2/10/2013 2:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
I really like the Terran music personally, though the Zerg and Protoss music is lackluster.

It makes me think of SC2 Marines owning everything. :)

I really like the new HotS tracks though, especially the new Terran one.
Edited by Fencar on 2/10/2013 2:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
At first I thought it was just nostalgia, but after going back and playing some games of SCBW, i can safely say the soundtrack for SCBW actually is just way way better. Especially the Terran soundtrack.
Reply Quote
Just, no.

The Terran music in WoL is a fantastic, and much improved over the original Starcraft's music.

Protoss and Zerg music is a wash.
Reply Quote
Am I the only one that just doesn't play with sounds in game?
Reply Quote
I haven't played SCBW in like 5 years but can recall its music.

Meanwhile I don't even know the protoss SC2 music off the top of my head, and I've got like 500 hours of protoss games under my belt.

So uh yeah, +1 to OP I guess.
Reply Quote
Yeah SC2 terran music is amazing. Zerg is kinda meh and so is brotoss.

I didn't play BW, but have checked out it's music on youtube. SC1 zerg is better, same with SC1 protoss. SC1 terran is amazing.

02/10/2013 02:20 AMPosted by Hugo
SC2's musics, in comparison, are in the ''background''. They're just there, but never with you, in battle, in combat.

I do agree with this.
Edited by xoxin on 2/10/2013 5:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 02:20 AMPosted by Hugo
Yet I believe SC1's music is much more memorable than SC2's music which lacks the synthetic-techno-retro vibe of the 90s.

SC1 was out in the 90's. SC2 came out in 2010. Does this surprise you?
Reply Quote
SC2... Music is just a complete and utter trash shoot, Blizzard spent less money on sc1 soundtrack and got something better while they spent more on sc2 and got something worse... Dayum, Anyway Terran music in sc1 was just... Unbelievably awesome, Now its just girly Miley Cirus Tracks. ( Kinda reflects blizzard 2010. Girly and terrible ) And protoss music ISNT EVEN PROTOSS... And the zerg is No no no... I turned off my sound completely because i didnt want to hear the garbage they produced.
Edited by Backspace on 2/10/2013 10:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 04:50 AMPosted by MtlGuitarist

i normally listen to other music, but sometimes i just need to hear the terran music

and @ OP, sc1 terran theme > sc2 terran theme but
sc2 terran theme || sc1 terran theme > life
Reply Quote
You know what, let's ask Blizzard to add a playlist within the game and add SC1 soundtracks to it!
Reply Quote
There's one Zerg soundtrack that sounds great, the rest are nothing extraordinary.
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 04:50 AMPosted by MtlGuitarist

I play with game sounds but not the music.

Quick question to the general discussion goers: why are so many threads comparing SC2 to other things being made lately? It's getting old :(
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Kryptos

I play with game sounds but not the music.

Quick question to the general discussion goers: why are so many threads comparing SC2 to other things being made lately? It's getting old :(

When we stop complaining about others' complaints we might understand! xD
Reply Quote
02/10/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Backspace
SC2... Music is just a complete and utter trash shoot, Blizzard spent less money on sc1 soundtrack and got something better while they spent more on sc2 and got something worse... Dayum, Anyway Terran music in sc1 was just... Unbelievably awesome, Now its just girly Miley Cirus Tracks. ( Kinda reflects blizzard 2010. Girly and terrible ) And protoss music ISNT EVEN PROTOSS... And the zerg is No no no... I turned off my sound completely because i didnt want to hear the garbage they produced.

It's not any objectively worse, it's just changed as music has changed. In the 90s, music was very much into electronic effects and atmosphere when it came to movies, film, and other media. Go look at any of the game soundtracks for futuristic titles from that era and you'll see similar things. Music today has become much more homogenized across media. The prevalence of certain stylistic touches (wordless and/or unfamiliar choral sounds for drama, slightly dissonant orchestral chords for conflict, and repetitive, cyclic melody lines on guitar or keyboard for background/lead work) has come across all sorts of genres. For those people who grew up with BW and have little experience of the theory behind music, of course they prefer the music that used to dominate. People who never heard the BW music and didn't experience any game music from that time will probably be less enthralled with it.

As someone who has experience with composition and theory, I prefer the Broodwar music because it has a wider variety of sound and style, but it's not necessarily better music.
Reply Quote
i only play terran but i think our music is pretty baller but lately ive been running pandora with music turned off. nirvana radio is a kick !@# station btw
Reply Quote

It's not any objectively worse, it's just changed as music has changed. In the 90s, music was very much into electronic effects and atmosphere when it came to movies, film, and other media. Go look at any of the game soundtracks for futuristic titles from that era and you'll see similar things. Music today has become much more homogenized across media. The prevalence of certain stylistic touches (wordless and/or unfamiliar choral sounds for drama, slightly dissonant orchestral chords for conflict, and repetitive, cyclic melody lines on guitar or keyboard for background/lead work) has come across all sorts of genres. For those people who grew up with BW and have little experience of the theory behind music, of course they prefer the music that used to dominate. People who never heard the BW music and didn't experience any game music from that time will probably be less enthralled with it.

As someone who has experience with composition and theory, I prefer the Broodwar music because it has a wider variety of sound and style, but it's not necessarily better music.

Nowadays, Blizzard music is trying to be epic, far too much. They forget that ambience and atmosphere are needed for futuristic warfare between three very different species in a remote sector of the galaxy.

They give us some kind of overglorified opera trumpet + guitar music in WoL. That's not what I want. SC1 was gritty, it was dark and hope was a very rare sight for the terran inhabitants of Koprulu. Instead we get HOPE EVERYWHERE THANKS TO RAYNOR. Nah, pisses me off. That's not how it was. Its almost cheesy the way Raynor saves everybody during WoL, while in SC1 he participated in some pretty horrible things : he let Tarsonis fall, he let Kerrigan go take care of Tassadar's forces on Tarsonis alone, he helped a dictator rise to power, his friend died to the one he once loved...

SC1 was full of terror, struggle and desperation. SC2 is full of cheesy !@# voice acting, poor character developpement, senseless plot holes and overglorified sequences. AND its music is trying way too much to convey the feeling of ''OMG WE'RE GONNA SAVE THE GALAXY LOL''. Seriously shut your opera behind a doorlock Blizzard.
Edited by Hugo on 2/10/2013 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
i never listen to music in game so idc
Reply Quote
I don't mind the music in SC2. I love the Terran music. Zerg & Protoss are alright.

Music is subject though. There isn't a right or a wrong way, unless its DubStep.
Reply Quote
Just, no.

The Terran music in WoL is a fantastic, and much improved over the original Starcraft's music.

Protoss and Zerg music is a wash.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]