StarCraft® II

Dynamic of ungrades

According to this http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/previews/1020731.StarCraft-II-Heart-of-the-Swarm-singleplayer-hands

You will get to give you units "ungrades" (not mutations I am talking about the other) in Wings when you ugraded a unit it was a choice and got afew opptions, However there were NO ungrades to reserch during the game. No if HOTS follows the same dymaic this leads to some interesting unit choices, Speedlings or cracklings, Hydra range or Hydra speed. We are only allowed to have ONE, not both, (we can change between mission however) but that choice might greatly impact game play. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Detecting serious grammatical errors.
Viewer's discretion is advised.
Just Kidding.
With all seriousness, this is pretty old news but I shall bite.

Apparently, the mutations for the units in the campaign unlock as you go along and you can swap between them in missions (which actually sounds a lot funner than purchasing some permanent upgrade with limited supplies).

Several mutations include larger baneling detonations, roaches gaining more armor when near death and increased hydralisk health.
The most interesting one for me was the 'Regenerative Acid' mutation. Your baneling explosions not only damage enemies but they also get to heal friendly units. Instant kamikaze medics.

The evolutionary splits were also interesting as you got to play a mission with both variants of the unit on different planets for each. The end let you choose whichever one. This is also far more interesting than just listening to Swann say he got more upgrades for you.
Zergling
Swarmling - Hatches in a trio (Gained from contacting a Queen who has prepared the mutation for you)
Raptor - Leaps toward enemies & can jump up cliffs (Gained when assimilating leaping creatures on a distant world)
Baneling
Splitterling - Splits into two smaller banelings upon death which deal half damage (Gained when banelings face creatures that can split into two smaller forms upon death)
Hunter Baneling - Leaps up cliffs and toward enemy units (Gained when banelings are subjected to natural selection against lava flows)

Other evolutions that may or may not still be in the game for the roach are the Leech, Prowler and Scavenger.
I didn't rightly get all the info here but enjoy these sources anyways:
http://sclegacy.com/site/sclegacy.com/site/feature/3-events/1210-January-17-HotS-Press-Event
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution_chamber_(Heart_of_the_Swarm)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394643
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan_(Heart_of_the_Swarm)

Just in case others want more info or think I'm lying. Warning: Spoilers may or may not be within the mentioned links. View with caution.
Edited by UltraNoob on 2/11/2013 1:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
In WoL, there were three types of upgrades: armory upgrades, mercenary contracts, and research upgrades, all of which were permanent. Research upgrades were an either/or choice, so choosing one meant permanently locking yourself out of another. However, armory upgrades and mercenary contracts were not either/or. They were limited only by the amount of money you could acquire in a single playthrough. This allowed you to stack synergistic upgrades. Buying both armory upgrades and the mercenary version of a single unit would give you an optimized version of that unit.

The HotS upgrade system is focused less on permanence and more on either/or choices. This gives you less opportunity for synergizing upgrades, but more opportunity to tailor your units to the specific needs of the next mission.

In HotS, there are three types of upgrades: mutations, evolutions, and Kerrigan abilities, all of which involve either/or choices. Evolutions are permanent, so if you choose an evolution, you lock yourself out of the other. However, mutations and Kerrigan abilities can be changed between each mission. Each unit can only have one mutation active at a time, so turning one on means turning the other two off. Kerrigan's abilities come in pairs, similar to the research abilities from WoL, so turning one on means turning the other one in the same pair off.

I will now present an example of the advantages of the new system. One of Kerrigan's abilities is called "Improved Overlords". It is a passive ability that makes your larva mutate into Overlords instantly, and makes each Overlord provide 12 control instead of 8. It is very similar to the WoL upgrade "Orbital Depots". In WoL, there were two missions, "Supernova" and "Gates of Hell", that gave you 200 supply automatically. The "Orbital Depots" upgrade was useless in these missions, because you didn't need to build supply depots at all. If there is a mission in HotS that automatically gives 200 control, you can go into Kerrigan's abilities menu and switch to the other ability in the same pair, "Zergling Reconstruction".

That being said, I suspect there are some people who will just stick with their favorite mutations and Kerrigan abilities throughout the entire campaign and never switch. People like what they like, after all.
Reply Quote
I was just concerned about, Say I can't reserch Speedling upgrade at my spawning pool but HAD to up the speed upgrade from the other. I know for example in Wings theire was no seige mode reserch you just started with it from the get go, Same deal with alot of other upgrades, If these unit upgrades do not exsist and we have to choose our starting tech it would certanly make the game more interesting.
Reply Quote
Apparently, you do indeed can choose Metabolic Boost as one of the mutations for the Zerglings. Not sure what that means for the Spawning Pool but I have a hunch that most of the structures will either lack their usual upgrades or just have them already researched.

You also have to choose Tunneling Claws as a mutation for it to be used on the roach. Which is unfortunate but challenging since you will have to choose (swap) between burrowed-movement, +3 Armor when life falls below 50% and +8 damage against light units in between the missions.

Now if you checked the links I posted up, you might have figured that out already.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Draxsiss
I was just concerned about, Say I can't reserch Speedling upgrade at my spawning pool but HAD to up the speed upgrade from the other. I know for example in Wings theire was no seige mode reserch you just started with it from the get go, Same deal with alot of other upgrades, If these unit upgrades do not exsist and we have to choose our starting tech it would certanly make the game more interesting.

You are correct, and that's worth pointing out.

"Metabolic Boost", the so called "speedling" upgrade, is one of the zergling's three mutation choices. "Adrenal Overload", another upgrade available in multiplayer that increases attack frequency, is another. This means that, unlike in multiplayer, you cannot have both these upgrades active at the same time. And of course, choosing either one will also deny you "Hardened Carapace", the campaign-exclusive upgrade that increases life.

This will make things interesting, because it encourages you to consider what sort of mission the next one will be when choosing your upgrades. If you need to defeat a powerful enemy quickly, the extra DPS might be handy. Extra speed would help with exploring a large map in a limited amount of time. And extra life could make the difference in a mission where you have no base to acquire reinforcements from, so every unit counts.

The baneling speed upgrade, "Centrifugal Hooks", is not one of it's mutations or evolutions. This means it's either researched by default (most likely), entirely unavailable (less likely), or researchable in-mission at the baneling nest (very unlikely).

02/11/2013 04:19 PMPosted by UltraNoob
You also have to choose Tunneling Claws as a mutation for it to be used on the roach. Which is unfortunate but challenging since you will have to choose (swap) between burrowed-movement, +3 Armor when life falls below 50% and +8 damage against light units in between the missions.

To clarify, burrowed movement for roaches is enabled by default in the campaign. The "Tunneling Claws" upgrade merely increases their speed while moving underground, unlike in multiplayer.
Edited by McSantos on 2/11/2013 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]