StarCraft® II

2.0.4 Latency Issue - Background Download

(Locked)

Community Manager
Following the release of patch 2.0.4, some players have experienced increased latency when playing StarCraft II. After investigating this issue, we discovered that background downloading is causing issues for some players. We are currently working to address this issue as soon as possible.

Leaving your launcher running until the download has completely finished should resolve the related latency issues you are experiencing and will reduce the time it takes for you to update your client for Heart of the Swarm. The download is around five gigabytes in size, and will continue to pick up data so long as the game launcher is running. You can always check the progress of your download by clicking the "Info" button at the top of the launcher, then selecting "Connection Information" from the drop-down menu. When the download has completed, the launcher will no longer say “Downloading data for an upcoming patch” and will instead say “Game is up to date”.

If you are currently unable to wait for this download to finish, you may want to fully close StarCraft II and complete the following steps:

1. Locate the Variables File
        First, you must locate the Variables.txt file on your system. Follow the steps below for your operating system.

Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
                Click Start (Windows Key + Q in Windows 8)
                Click Documents (Type documents and press Enter in Windows 8) and open the StarCraft II folder.
                Open variables.txt.

Windows XP
                Click Start.
                Click My Documents and open the StarCraft II folder.
                Open variables.txt.

Mac OS X
                Open Finder.
                Hold down the Option (Alt) key and select Library from the Go menu.
                Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II.
                Open variables.txt.

2. Add the Following Text
        In the Variables.txt file, add the following line to the bottom of the text document:

writeAgentRegion=0

3. Save the File

Once you’ve fully downloaded all background download data or have completed these steps, background downloading should no longer impact your gameplay experience.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and thank you all for remaining patient.

---------------------

Update - February 20, 9:20 AM:
We found that it is possible to end up in a state where the launcher is no longer downloading data for the next patch, but the client is downloading the data. In this situation, you can either leave the client open after logging into Battle.net so it fully downloads the necessary data or utilize the steps mentioned above to disable downloading while the game is running.

This issue may also be affecting your ability to change languages within the client. Completing the aforementioned steps should allow you to appropriately select the language of your choosing. Should you continue to experience issues after making this change, please let us know by creating a post on the Bug Report forum.
Edited by Aldrexus on 2/20/2013 9:21 AM PST
Thanks Aldrexus. Beautiful patch btw, props to everyone at Blizzard.
Thanks for the update and for the additional info.
i cant play at all still, lost three matches due to this BS patch, and the Connection Info says no download in progress, just fix the dam thing, we didnt have a problem before this patch came out
can it resolve language switching problem?
and will next patch resolve this problem if i don't modify variable.txt?
02/19/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Ayaka
and will next patch resolve this problem if i don't modify variable.txt?

I had the same question.
- Technical Support
02/19/2013 08:06 PMPosted by sGSyntax
Thanks Aldrexus. Beautiful patch btw, props to everyone at Blizzard.

I second that notion! I love it!
Oh thanks. Sneaky download
I am having problems with Night Of The Dead. Every time I launch it, it goes to the loading screen, and loads to about 75%, then the whole game crashes. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and how I might be able to fix it. THANKS!!!
Beautiful patch love the new menus but could you at least show it in the launcher instead of having this sneaky download going on... Mine writes 14 gig to download I'm happy I didn't use much of my data limit this month other way you would have cost me money !! and I'm sure I'm not alone.

SO I ASK FOR NO MORE SNEAKY DOWNLOAD ALL THE TIME plz
Sneaky Blizzard no wonder the lagg was so bad.. i only have 9.65gb of 14gb.. thats an enormous download :/ played two games the lagg was horrible still managed to win but it was stressful..
im having terrible latency problems, i send units to an area, it takes then 1-2 seconds to respond. graphics on lowest so its not only depressing now that i cant use high/ultra like i used to, but still no fix.. please someone suggest anything i can try!
ok so i checked the "Connection Information" from the drop-down menu. and im at 12GB out of 14GB so i will check back in when it is finished and i have tested it. got my fingers crossed.
I don't have a

02/19/2013 08:02 PMPosted by Aldrexus
variables.txt.

I just have "Variables" which is a text document. However i have written in the writeAgentRegion=0 at the bottum, saved, then reopened sc2 and it still dling the patch information. Why is that?
I'd like to second the NO SNEAKY DOWNLOADS PLEASE, as I'm not only stuck on a capped internet plan (though 100Gb is a reasonable cap really) but also am quite rural, with a 1mb 'broadband' connection... fine for actually playing the game, but needing an overnight download for anything more than a couple hundred MB update...

if it's not going to affect my gameplay, TELL me there's an update i will later need, and let me downlod it at my convinience (ie after i go to bed)

in fact, why not make this the default for patching, give me a day notice to download it BEFORE requiring it to play?

eg. tuesday patch is released for optional download, wed patch goes 'live' as required to be present to play the game?

*edit for typo
Edited by PhantomNVD on 2/19/2013 10:42 PM PST
Love it... TY blizzard..
I am also getting different FPS along with latency issues on different maps, i get between 40 and 110 FPS depending on what map I am playing on, is that also going to get fixed, is it a bug?
I am hating the patch. It it total B.S. if you ask me. Please get on this as I bought a new computer just to be able to keep playing this damn game. :0(
I don't have a

variables.txt.

I just have "Variables" which is a text document. However i have written in the writeAgentRegion=0 at the bottum, saved, then reopened sc2 and it still dling the patch information. Why is that?

Likewise, is it going to stop downloading as soon as the game loads?

Edit: Since this is on the first page and hopefully will help people before they post the same questions.

So I confirmed...it does stop the background download as soon as you launch the actual game. It only downloads with the launcher up.
Edited by AxiomPrime on 2/20/2013 12:16 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]