StarCraft® II

StarCraft 2 is Dying and How to Save it

48 now.

People really need to read at least 1 page of the thread before posting.
A new unit every week is a terrible idea. A new game each year means buying something not of high quality. Yes COD is fun, but from a design standpoint it's not that great. If you feel SC 2 is dying provide evidence not useless opinion.

Also what proof does the OP have that making payments makes a player loyal? So loyality is by only playing SC2 or just Blizzard games? This thread is trash.

Another bite.

I don't know HeReTiC does it.
10/10, such a good read. My mortal eyes are unworthy of gazing upon brilliance like this.
02/18/2013 12:03 PMPosted by DuoBit
Also what proof does the OP have that making payments makes a player loyal?

It's simple logic and common sense.

1. WoW has a monthly subscription fee.
2. More people play WoW then SC2.
3. Therefore, monthly subscription fees attract more players and lead to them playing over a longer period of time.
Well said but now that you have put it out there that SC2 is dying and what to do to help get it back on it's feet Question is how can we the customer make it change ? I mean we can complain until we're blue in the face but unless the creators of the game actually listen to us and make the changes we're pretty much boned nothing will change and before you know it SC will be done for.I guess the main question here is how the hell can we get them to fix it !!

(Oh and on a side note i think they should make it so you can play the main caricature James Eugene AKA Jim Raynor through the whole game and get like special power ups for him and for the guys in your crew.)Just a thought :)
49 bites now! 50 should be around the corner.
^_^
He has some valid points. All things come to an end but even Starcraft 1 isn't completely dead after almost 15 years. How are you going to say that about the biggest RTS game that is just over 2 years old?

I take away points because he was ranting and bring up president Obama and the moon landing. He's got bigger problems than Starcraft 2.
1. WoW has a monthly subscription fee.
2. More people play WoW then SC2.
3. Therefore, monthly subscription fees attract more players and lead to them playing over a longer period of time.

1. (League of Legends does not have a subscription fee...)
2. League of Legends has a way larger player basis then World of Warcraft.
3. Monthly fee's does not have as much correlation with player basis like you claim.

The reason why StarCraft 2 has a lower player basis is because...

1. Too high of a skill cap.
2. Nothing much to gain ingame.
3. Too much competitive pressure in Melee Ranked games. Similar to a duel then a game.
4. Inconvenience (must be bought in store or digitally)

Lets look at League of Legends...

1. Friendly skill cap.
2. Champions everyday and runes to buy.
3. Less pressure. Relaxed.
4. Download anytime, anywhere. Free to try out.
Hey guys. It doesn't even matter whether you discuss this or not. It's onto Blizzard. Blizzard is still selling SC1BW, which is released in 1998, with the price of $15. It's the way they do the business, and any other game companies. Even if some companies succeeded with free-to-play model, it doesn't mean every one have to follow because only few survived in the market.
02/18/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Zakarious
50 should be around the corner.

51 52 and 53 as well. He has truly outdone himself this time.
02/18/2013 02:00 PMPosted by DirtyD
51 52 and 53 as well. He has truly outdone himself this time.

Aww, 50 deleted his before I could read it.
Edited by Zakarious on 2/18/2013 2:03 PM PST
02/18/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Zakarious

i wrote "i'm soooo confused. what the hell is going on here?" call it a bite if u want. i thought everyone was crazy for a few minutes then i read it again and realised it was a big troll :S
02/18/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Jungleman

i wrote "i'm soooo confused. what the hell is going on here?" call it a bite if u want. i thought everyone was crazy for a few minutes then i read it again and realised it was a big troll :S

Dang. Well I retract that 53 then.
This almost got me. After reading for a little bit, I though "Wait, is this guy serious?" Then of course I read the poster and laughed. Still, I am obligated to say my thoughts about it. The reason LoL is winning in the playerbase is due to these reasons:

1) LoL is free to play, and is extremely easy to play. Casuals are drawn in like flies to these games, which adds a whole lot of players. People can play it and not care about win-loss, league, or anything, they can just play for fun. Even if they're terrible, they don't really get punished like in other games.

2) LoL hasn't been getting hate like the previous winners. CoD, Halo, and WoW have been getting hate constantly during their reign, with stuff like the players being no-lives, little kids, or immature people. Due to this, their reputation has gone down, making people not want to start playing, or quit for fear of being branded by these titles. Therefore, their player growth has slowed down, while LoL's keeps going.

3) LoL isn't as "Mature" as other games. Before you flame me for saying this, I don't mean it's a game for babies or anything. I mean it doesn't have blood and gore, and death is insignificant; you revive every time you die. The whole game looks so cartoony and calm, and people don't feel appalled by blood, gore, and darkness like other games.
Edited by Martiny on 2/18/2013 2:59 PM PST
1. Killing major characters is good for the game's lore.

I absolutely love Illidan (in fact, I like him so much that it's probably unhealthy), but I can't think of anything more enjoyable than charging into the Black Temple and destroying him. Arthas, although I liked him less, is no different. Blizzard's writers worked hard to build these characters, and I, along with many others, quickly fell in love with them, and what better thing is there to do to the lore you love than to destroy every interesting character in it?

Blizzard done the same for StarCraft as far as the building of characters such as Jim Raynor, Zeratul, and Kerrigan is concerned, but we aren't allowed to kill them. Where's the fun in that? Blizzard, your lore is filled with other characters who could take their place after their deaths (only to be killed themselves); why not let us kill hem?

This one made me smirk the most.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]