StarCraft® II

StarCraft 2 is Dying and How to Save it

02/16/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Fuyao

Terran, Protoss, and Zerg in Starcraft...
Humans, Covenant, and Flood in Halo...
Humans and bugs in Starship Troopers...
Humans, Aliens, and Predators in Alien...

Blizzard didn't steal anything. The idea of Terran, Protoss, and Zerg are derived from common recurrences in science fiction.

There is a problem when the majority of WH40k fans says Starcraft stole most of it's concepts from WH40k.

Yup. The problem is those WH40K fans that state this. Most likely they are delusional with no actual basis for their statement.
seems like you played only Dawn of War 2, DOW1 does have base building.

First let me give the corresponding models for each race in Starcraft from WH40k

Terran to Space Marine(what changed is the helmet)
Protoss to Eldar(Dark Templar also had the concepts of the Eldar)
Zerg to Tyranid(very obivious)

Blizzard stealing Games Workshop's concept and renaming them to Terran, Protoss, and Zerg. Claiming them as their own, sending ceast and desist letters to whoever tried to steal what they stealed. I'm amazed that Games Workshop didn't sue Blizzard.

You also shouldn't say it is not a ripoff just because WH40k was originated from a tabletop game, there weren't modern RTS games back in the late 1980's, a table top miniture game like WH40k is what "RTS" looked like to people back then. If Starcraft was an tabletop game made back in the 80s, then there won't be any WH40k and Starcraft controversy today.

You are welcome to join and try to convince other WH40k fans that Starcraft is not a ripoff, you will get a much more aggressive response, I'm nice compared to them.

Dawn of War Release Date: September 20, 2004

Starcraft 1 Release Date: March 31, 1998. <---- Modern RTS in late 1990s.

So how's that foot in your mouth tasting?

So tell me how Starcraft ripped off from Dawn of War when Dawn of War was released AFTER Starcraft.

If you're going to make a statement like that, at least make sure your facts are correct.

Also others have made comparisons with just 40K just like you did with 40k & Starcraft. It ALL comes from Science Fiction. How it's used is up to said company. There is ZERO basis for your statement yet again.
Edited by Myke on 2/16/2013 7:16 PM PST
All of these people talking about how Starcraft was or was not influenced by 40k should read this:

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/portals.php?show=page&name=how_warhammer40k_inspired_starcraft&st=0

Check out the bottom paragraph of the 2nd page. It also talks about other influences on the great universe that is Starcraft, and everything it says makes sense. It's an interesting article.
All of these people talking about how Starcraft was or was not influenced by 40k should read this:

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/portals.php?show=page&name=how_warhammer40k_inspired_starcraft&st=0

Check out the bottom paragraph of the 2nd page. It also talks about other influences on the great universe that is Starcraft, and everything it says makes sense. It's an interesting article.

Influenced is VERY different from ripoff.
I don't think I need to remind anyone that what influenced StarCraft will be irrelevant if it dies. Let's get back to the issue at hand.
Edited by HeReTiC on 2/16/2013 7:42 PM PST
So he is proposing that we turn the game into league of starcraft
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA best
Love your ideas but the one thing that caught my eye is to have players have unique units based on their "grinding". Are you talking about multiplayer? Because there's just no way for this to work based on balance issues. I think you know this.

In HOTS they are trying to add new dances and unit skins and I think this is great! I do agree though that they need way more of them. I actually love getting new decals for each race but even those seem few and far between. Decals seem so easy to make they should have thousands of them.

A lot of your ideas make a lot of sense.
02/16/2013 08:06 PMPosted by McQ

Call of the World League of StarCraft
02/16/2013 08:38 PMPosted by HeReTiC

Call of the World League of StarCraft

What about World League of StarCraft Duty?
As sad as it is to say... I must agree on this. Sadly this will probably be the last starcraft game I purchase. =( There is just not enough UMPH to the game anymore and HoTs is already feeling exactly the same... makes me kinda wish I never got the beta so I would not know what it was like and would still feel excited about HoTs coming out. Only real reason I am buying this game really, is for the campaign. As far as the multiplayer goes... eh... I don't even want to talk about it. I really do not play alot of computer games so I think it saddens me more that my favorite computer game is starting to die.

Oh well like the saying goes "you can be the most talked about for what you do, but once somebody comes that is better than you, you are yesterdays news"

RIP Starcraft. ='(
Edited by FalleN on 2/16/2013 8:59 PM PST
I hope this is just a big joke.
Read through the whole thing and agree with 99.9% of it. especially the team games part and that sc2 needs to take a little inspiration from the other massive games of the world. Blizz better read this!
I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I read the first post, and then I laughed some more at the people who actually took it seriously. I tend to respond in a literal manner to posts (I am the kind of person who tries in vain to educate some ignorance out of the people I see), and even I can realize that this is a huge joke, made to get some laughs. It was very successful by the way, HeReTiC, and I offer you congratulations as a member of the forgotten SC2 mapmaking community for coming up with something this funny.
it's... it's so beautiful.

10/10, who cares about timing when you've got a piece of classic art like this!
i disagree with nearly everything
Thought you were serious most of the read xD

...Then I realized, nobody is that completely and utterly retarded, it's just Heretic trolling... Lol
Thought you were serious most of the read xD

...Then I realized, nobody is that completely and utterly retarded, it's just Heretic trolling... Lol

Well aren't you clever
Edited by Swarm on 2/16/2013 10:48 PM PST
02/16/2013 10:42 PMPosted by MarkusDaWise
trolling

The proper term is satire.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]