StarCraft® II

Changes to Bonus Pool with 2.0.4

(Locked)

Community Manager
In a few days, we'll be patching StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty to version 2.0.4. You can read more about patching and the contents of the patch here and here.

Along with the patch and the Heart of the Swarm expansion, we're making a change to the way your Bonus Pool works when you play on the ladder.

With patch 2.0.4, your Bonus Pool will be expended at twice the rate as it previously was when you play. This will be offset by a change to the rate at which your Bonus Pool accumulates, which will also double.

This pair of adjustments will not come online simultaneously. The first (Bonus Pool expenditure rate doubled) will be a result of the patch, and the second (Bonus Pool accumulation rate doubled) will come with the Season roll, which should happen when Heart of the Swarm is launched.

We look forward to seeing you on the ladder.
Awesome job by Blizzard. ♥
So basically its more encouragement for playing daily, as opposed to binge playing?
02/15/2013 06:06 PMPosted by zappy
So basically its more encouragement for playing daily, as opposed to binge playing?
I think of it the other way around. My friend and I play around every other weekend, now we'll have even more bonus points to spend. I guess it's like rewarding you for playing and then not playing, regardless of how long between sessions.
But if you binge play, you lose all your bonus pool and then get no additional benefit until you take a break. I suppose it depends on how long you play for your binge plays.
02/15/2013 06:17 PMPosted by zappy
But if you binge play, you lose all your bonus pool and then get no additional benefit until you take a break. I suppose it depends on how long you play for your binge plays.
It's really no different from the current system. It just makes every ladder win worth 33% more points than it was before, assuming that you don't play more than your bonus pool. Sure, you spend those points twice as fast, but you also accumulate them twice as fast, negating any effect that that would have on binge vs daily play.
Does this patch include global play??? You said it's gonna come soon but wasn't listed on the patch notes, i believe.
02/15/2013 07:17 PMPosted by YMP
Does this patch include global play??? You said it's gonna come soon but wasn't listed on the patch notes, i believe.
That's already out, you just have to download whatever client you want to use, say, the EU client, and then load that client instead.
For anyone wondering how this will work, in the HotS beta you don't actually lose ladder points when you lose; you just lose points from your bonus pool. It still works the same as WoL when you win though, granting you double the points it would normally give you.

This way you spend your bonus pool twice as fast, both when you win and when you lose.

I'd assume this is going to work the same way the beta currently does.

02/15/2013 07:17 PMPosted by YMP

I'd assume so, yeah. Global play is already live, you just need to download the client corresponding to the region you want to play in. IIRC, among the UI and general improvements they are also adding the option to play in any region with just 1 client, giving you the option to select the region in the log in screen.
Edited by Deckard on 2/15/2013 8:12 PM PST
that sounds rather silly tbh. people like me who can only fit like 5-8 games a day in will find it hard to keep their bonus pool down.
02/15/2013 08:16 PMPosted by LOKI
that sounds rather silly tbh. people like me who can only fit like 5-8 games a day in will find it hard to keep their bonus pool down.

Your bonus pools grows twice as quickly, but you also spend it twice as quickly. So you won't have any harder time spending out your bonus pool after the change than you did before the change.

In fact, there will be short period of time (after the patch but before the next season) where you will find it's easier to spend out your bonus pool.
Basically this just rewards going through your bonus pool. I guess in a way it may also discourage you from playing when your bonus pool is empty, as your somewhat inflated point value is likely to fall. So if rank in your ladder group is important to you, play only when you have a bonus pool?
02/15/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Locke
Basically this just rewards going through your bonus pool. I guess in a way it may also discourage you from playing when your bonus pool is empty, as your somewhat inflated point value is likely to fall. So if rank in your ladder group is important to you, play only when you have a bonus pool?

If you're playing at a 50/50 win rate (which is the goal of the match making system), you should basically tread water once you've spent out your bonus points. So while it doesn't encourage playing a lot without bonus points, it really isn't discouraging it either.
If you're playing at a 50/50 win rate (which is the goal of the match making system), you should basically tread water once you've spent out your bonus points. So while it doesn't encourage playing a lot without bonus points, it really isn't discouraging it either.

If I understand the favored system correctly (and I'm not 100% certain I do), it tries to keep your point value at something that matches your mmr. So, say you're a 500 point platinum, if you had no bonus pool and kept playing without your mmr changing, you would stay at 500 point platinum. But the bonus pool overrides that by adding more points when you win, without changing the points when you lose. Thus, maybe you equilibriate at 700 point platinum or something. But if you keep playing after running through the bonus pool, you might come down to your skill level, at 500 points again.

Of course, you generally improve after playing a lot, so your mmr should increase naturally. And just general randomness would push your point value around a lot too. So it probably doesn't matter.
Idle Worker icon outside of the GUI now! :)
I would like to know something about this upcoming patch :

I heard from some friends where they had some serious performance drops in 2.0.3 of the beta client. For example, they played my custom map in WoL and it had reasonable performance overall. However, they tried essentially the same map on the beta and they had massive FPS drops and such.

Did it had any performance fixes from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4? I am honestly afraid to lose some of the few remaining custom players I have due to that.
Edited by Honejasi on 2/17/2013 1:46 PM PST
Community Manager
02/15/2013 06:27 PMPosted by Anarion
It's really no different from the current system. It just makes every ladder win worth 33% more points than it was before, assuming that you don't play more than your bonus pool. Sure, you spend those points twice as fast, but you also accumulate them twice as fast, negating any effect that that would have on binge vs daily play.

Actually, this is not the way it works as there are some subtleties we did not mention previously. Let me clarify:

Under this new system you will not receive double the bonus pool for a win on the ladder; when you win you will still receive the same amount. However, the main difference is that you also get bonus poll now when you lose games on the ladder. This doubles the spending rate as well.

The change doesn't make wins worth 33% more than before, but rather makes losses a bit less painful than before.

Hope that helps to clarify a bit.
02/17/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Cloaken

Actually, this is not the way it works as there are some subtleties we did not mention previously. Let me clarify:

Under this new system you will not receive double the bonus pool for a win on the ladder; when you win you will still receive the same amount. However, the main difference is that you also get bonus poll now when you lose games on the ladder. This doubles the spending rate as well.

The change doesn't make wins worth 33% more than before, but rather makes losses a bit less painful than before.

Hope that helps to clarify a bit.

Yes that actually did clarify up a lot. Thank for working so hard (especially on the weekend) and giving us a response. :D
the main difference is that you also get bonus poll now when you lose games on the ladder

Does this mean that it's possible to gain points or break even when you lose? To what extent will you gain points after losing?
The bonus pool changes are already in HotS beta.

Basically, when you lose, instead of deducting, say, 10 points from your points, it instead deducts 10 points from your bonus pool.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]