StarCraft® II

The Tides of War Discussion/Planning

Finally done. Sorry about being two hours longer than I had said I would, I kept going back to reword things.

Great House Application: House Ileris

Sigil: A raven with spread wings covering a pair of mountain peaks over a light grey background

Motto: An army of men will not stand against a fleet of warships. Never fight what you cannot defeat.

Name: Eriel Ileris

Region of Power and House: Athernae, a city with a natural bay on the coast of the White Lands near the Barriers.

Starting location: Athernae

Family members:

Eriel Ileris: Head of House Ileris and part of the Athernaen high council. Shoulder length straight white hair, with eyes a translucent dark green colour. Often wears a light grey cloak the colour of the House Ileris sigil's background with turquoise trim. Fairly strong magical capabilities, especially regarding wind control and electricity based spells. The second leader of House Ileris after his father, Feras Ilerius, vanished under mysterious circumstances. Debate exists as to if he is actually still alive or not. In combat, Eriel uses a double sided spear made of Vandarium with a single luminescent lime green gem set in the center of each blade. Clouds appear to swirl inside these gems, and they seem to glow brighter when the weapon is in motion. Eriel refuses to disclose what type of stones these are and where they came from, and they are believed to have magical properties.

Verian Ileris: Wife of Eriel. Very, very pale skin with long red hair and grey eyes flecked with pale blue. She is rarely seen and nobody has the slightest clue what she does most of the time. Considered to be rather odd, Verian is rumored to be so focused on her work (not that anyone knows what that might be) that she has built a network of tunnels and secret passages beneath the city to allow her to get around without any distractions such as speaking to people. Known to be polite and more or less friendly on the rare occasions she speaks to people, but tends to abruptly end conversations and always seems to be in a hurry. Forty two years old, one month and fifteen days older than Eriel.

Zaraiel Ileris: Only son of Eriel and Veria Ileris. Average length black hair with green eyes a bit lighter than his father's. Very studious and slightly antisocial, Zaraiel is almost obsessed with studying ores, especially the very rare types such as Vandarium and in particular Pyrite. Uses a short sword in combat made of Adamantine, with an Obsidian inlay along the center of the blade. Married to Theria Ileris. Twenty one years old.

Ciara Ileris: Cousin of Eriel and admiral of the Athernaen navy, as well as a member of the Athernaen high council. Waist length light brown/blond hair and grey eyes. Rarely comes to land, and prefers instead to live in the bridge of the Kestrel, the Athernaen navy's flagship which she is also the captain of. An expert archer who is also slightly more skilled with magic than Eriel, Ciara focused her learning on magic primarily on ice, wind, and light based spells, becoming proficient in those areas and moderately good in others. Usually wears a hooded white cloak with green trim and carries a longbow as well as a long dagger made of faintly turquoise glass with an obsidian core and a Vandarium edge. Daughter of Richard Ileris, but almost never speaks to her father and generally avoids him. Thirty two years old.

Zirian Ileris: Brother of Eriel and a member of the Athernaen high council. Long brown hair and dark green eyes. Navigator of the Kestrel and a prominent supporter for the advancement of technology. Known for being very polite and formal. Wears a dark grey coat and carries a crossbow and obsidian knife. Twenty eight years old.

Theria Ileris: Wife of Zaraiel Ileris. Wavy black hair and bright blue eyes. Works as a doctor in the city of Athernae. Generally does not fight but carries a knife made of steel and is fairly good with it. Nineteen years old.

Richard Ileris: Older brother of Eriel Ileris. Bald with very pale skin and golden eyes. Declined the position as leader of House Ileris due to a dislike of politics outside of war. Skilled in fire based magic and enjoys killing things with it. Denied a position in the council due to violent tendencies. Typically avoided by the citizens of Athernae for fear of being incinerated. Has a pet rabbit; that and messenger birds are almost the only animals he will not immediately set on fire. Very thin and wears a black robe with red trim. Forty eight years old, father of Ciara Ileris.

Relation to other Great Houses: Loyal to Edwin Bowin, but distant from his rule. There is little communication between House Ileris and the other populated regions of the White Lands, and they are regarded as being rather secretive about internal affairs. Presently neutral to the other Great Houses.

Background: A Great House which chose to be mostly isolated from the rest of the White Lands, House Ileris is dedicated to science and the advancement of technology. They rarely take part in battles when not required to by Edwin Bowin, and usually remain neutral in conflicts between other factions unless they are directly attacked or threatened.

House Ileris maintains a large and powerful standing navy in the Bay of Glass, a natural formation just outside of the city of Athernae, named for its perfectly still and clear waters which are sheltered from the high winds that blow across the surrounding area by a small mountain range.

Because of the close proximity of Athernae to the Barriers, it is rumored that experiments may have been conducted involving pyrite, but this is currently unconfirmed, with the high council denying having reopened the mines or being in possession of pyrite in any quantity.

The area surrounding the city of Athernae is rich in mana (certain areas on the floor of the Bay of Glass have been noted for having higher concentrations than anywhere else known, and are typically avoided due to them being potentially fatal to pass over without a properly shielded craft), resulting in a higher than average number of people capable of using magic. Because of this, the city has its own Academy, and magic users are more accepted in general society than they are in other regions.

The religion of Montua is also more common among House Ileris than others, and those who follow it have little animosity directed towards them due to its prominence as nearly a third of the population of Aternae.

Additional Lore and Information: House Ileris, and by extension the city of Aternae, has a fairly small army in comparison to the other Great Houses, but makes up for this by having an extremely powerful navy and better weapons and armor than most due to their pursuit of higher technology. Due to the high mana concentrations in the area, almost five percent of House Ileris' military forces are capable of using magic, a much higher percentage than is seen in the forces of most other factions.

The Aternaen navy is very well equipped and capable, with the frames and masts of all ships that are frigates or larger being constructed of pure Adamantine. At least one wind focused mage is assigned to each ship in the fleet so as to be able to control the gusts and assist with sailing. The Kestrel, the flagship of the Aternaen navy, is an expensive and powerful frigate class ship with a trimaran configuration consisting of a central hull with two smaller hulls attached to the end of "wings" on either side. It is well armed with two ballistas made of Vandarium, one on each of the smaller hulls, and is capable of reaching speeds of up to twenty five knots.

Hot air balloons are a recent invention, consisting of a large balloon kept afloat by a single fireball ignited by a mage just below its center. A small basket capable of holding a single person is suspended beneath, allowing for these devices to act as portable watch towers from which a single person can see for great distances when equipped with a spyglass. An efficient propulsion system for hot air balloons has yet to be invented, with the closest current method involving a wind focused mage riding in the basket and constantly generating wind currents against a parachute-like sail. This works fairly poorly however, and is slow and prone to wrecking the balloon.
Edited by Owlfeathers on 3/13/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I suppose it can't hurt. I'll submit her.

Name: Amy Corsin

Weapons: Elementally imbued rapier (http://images.wikia.com/rwby/images/c/c0/13.png she's holding it)

Appearance: White hair, down to the middle of her back, green eyes, wears a suit of scale mail that's tight fitting to her body, allowing a full range of movement.

Backstory: Amy has always been a bit of a loner, but when she found her 'talent,' she became truly alone. Who wanted to play with the freak that could make ice at will? Or catch your hair on fire if you said anything mean about her? So she resigned to be alone, doing everything by herself. She spent years mastering her talent and when she finally had, at the age of 18, her father gave her the rapier, which allowed her to focus her abilities. She now works as a mercenary, taking jobs that would seem suicidal to anyone but her.

Personality: Lone wolf attitude, prefers not to be around others. Stands out because of her weapon and hair, though most people notice her hair first.
Edited by Zarkun on 3/9/2013 1:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 11:41 PMPosted by Zarkun
She soon mastered her talent

You want her to be a prodigy at her skills?

By the way, the RP will be up shortly. Use this thread to discuss and QQ.

Hot air balloons are a recent invention, consisting of a large balloon kept afloat by a single fireball ignited by a mage just below its center...This works fairly poorly however, and is slow and prone to wrecking the balloon.

Meh, they can be shot down with fire arrows

@CR
Prologue is done. App accepted

@TheLost
Nerf the weapon to mithril.
Edited by smylez on 3/9/2013 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 01:22 PMPosted by smylez
She soon mastered her talent

By the way, the RP will be up shortly. Use this thread to discuss and QQ.

Hot air balloons are a recent invention, consisting of a large balloon kept afloat by a single fireball ignited by a mage just below its center...This works fairly poorly however, and is slow and prone to wrecking the balloon.

Meh, they can be shot down with fire arrows
Unless they're too high up. But yes, they're pretty vulnerable to being shot down. At least if your balloon goes plummeting and on fire the people on the ground know enemies are in the area.
Reply Quote
The ballons would rely information through some means regardless to show that the enemy is there. It's utility is actually quite limited

@KO
Approved.
Reply Quote
The ballons would rely information through some means regardless to show that the enemy is there. It's utility is actually quite limited

@KO
Approved.
Agreed. They weren't really intended to be that useful though, just provides a place to watch from if nothing better is available and the time or resources to construct a proper watchtower don't exist.
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 01:22 PMPosted by smylez

I'm still working out kinks. Give me a moment to edit it.
Reply Quote
@smylez
So am I accepted?
Reply Quote
@smylez
So am I accepted?

Yes but the White lands population is sparse and cold; your house is in the White Lands. Just keep that in mind.
Reply Quote
What about me? I did make an edit.
Reply Quote
You need to post for me and ask for me to reread the edit.

She trained at a young age (give or take 10 years) and has not developed any social skills. How unladylike.

Approved.
Reply Quote
My characters still need approval.
Reply Quote
"Smylez, did you approve my great house application and characters? I have forgotten."
Reply Quote
Yes to both of you.

Doing stuff...
Edited by smylez on 3/9/2013 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
@TheLost

which one
Reply Quote
@TheLost

which one
I believe he's talking about the leaf blade thing.
Reply Quote
ehh just getting a bit of confirmation before I go changing and I think so too but *points to earlier part of sentence*
EDIT: edited
Edited by TheLostMorph on 3/9/2013 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
@TLM

Everything checks out.
Reply Quote
03/05/2013 07:16 PMPosted by smylez
1. This role-play is intended to be slow and detailed. It will take place on thursday, friday, saturday and any other day we agree on. I reserve the right to change the dates at my whim.
By the way, I forgot to say this, but this is the one rule that may be the one that will be broken a lot.
Reply Quote
Feel free to deny it, as it does not really follow guidelines, but I'd like you to consider.

Name: Adriel Stevson
Region of Power and House: N/A
Class: A wealthy peasant, one of the richer people on the islands.
Starting location: Islands of the Stormwinds
Family members: No children....that he knows of!
Background: At a young age he was introduced to the sea. He is a bastard, the result of some escapades of his father, but nobody is too concerned. His father taught him to pilot ships, and he quickly grew to be very adept at it. At the age of 13 his father died, and he quickly found he could make a good living piloting. For the last 13 years, he's done work for many people, accumulating great wealth in the process. He is known to be the greatest pilot in all the land, and is highly sought after by even nobles.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]