StarCraft® II

[HELP] All In - Brutal

First off, let me ask you read the entire first post before replying. I have got alot of help with advice about restarting and using their strategy, and switching from Air version to Nydus version. That's not the case here. please read it all before you reply. Thanks. (and thanks cacho for the video)

------------------ original post ---------------

I just can't seem to get through this Mission on brutal before I am overrun. I have the Strategy Guide for sc2, but the strategy only works for Casual/Normal. I read up on youtube about which strategy many of them used, but sadly none of them work for me.

I have no Nydus worms to worry about, just the Air units and of course the Leviathan.
I have all the Mercenaries.
Research upgrades:
    - Vandium Plating (hp +5%)
    - Strike Turret (Automated Turret on bunkers)
    - Micro-Filtering (Vespene Gas 25% faster)
    - Perdition Turrets (automated Flamethrower Turrets)
    - Automated Refinery (Refinery no longer require SCVs)
    - Hercules
    - Science Vessel
    - Regenerative Bio-Steal (Vehicles/Ships regenerate hp)
    - Tech Reactor (Combined Tech Lab & Reactor)
    - Psi Disruptor (Slows Zerg Units)

Armory Upgrades:

- Base -
-- Bunker -
--- Projectile Accelerator (+1 range)
--- Neosteel Bunker (+2 slots)
-- Missile Turret -
--- Titanium Housing (+75 life)
--- Hellstorm Batteries (Secondary Attack AOE)
-- SCV -
--- Dual-Fusion Welder (x2 Repair)
-- Terran Building -
--- Fire-Suppression System (repairs 50% life / buildings no longer burn)
--- Orbital Command

- Infantry -
-- Marine -
--- Stimpacks (-10 hp, +50% faster)
--- Combat Shield (+10 life)
-- Medic -
--- Stabilizer Medpacks (25% faster, 33% less energy)
-- Marauder -
--- Concussive Shells (slows units)
--- Kinetic Foam (+25 life)
-- Reaper -
--- G-4 Clusterbombs (Anti-Personel Charges)

- Vehicles -
-- Goliath -
--- Multi-Lock Weapons System (Air & Ground weapons fire at the same time)
-- Siege Tank -
--- Shaped Blast (75% less friendly fire)

- Starships -
-- Medivac -
--- Advanced Healing AI (heals 2 units at once)
-- Viking -
--- Ripwave Missiles (AOE ability)
-- Banshee -
--- Cross-Spectrum Dampeners (cloaks twice as long)
--- Shockwave Missile Battery (multiple missiles in a line)
-- Battlecruiser -
--- Missile Pods (AOE Missiles)
--- Defense Matrix (Shield that absorbs 200 dmg)

- Dominion -
-- Spectre -
--- None
-- Thor -
--- 330mm Barrage Cannon (AOE, Stuns)

Some might think I picked the wrong upgrades, but I like what i have, and I don't feel like going back and replaying just to try and make the mission easier. Air version is harder IMO as is, plus with no hive mind emulators, No Viking range upgrades, No Ghosts this mission really becomes complicated. Several strategies fail.

Strategy One: Get the tank on higher ground in 4 points with turrets to fend off waves of units, using viking to fend off broodlords. Eventuall you are forced back becuase too many waves flank you from all sides.

Strategy Two: Pull back early, and wall up behind perdition turrets, Missile Turrets, and Siege Tanks grouped up while using bunkers and viking to protect the Artifact. This seems to work somewhat better from the first one, but in the end the artifact is what gets destroyed by broodlords since siege tanks cant hit air units. (thus why this is used in the Nydus version only)

Strategy Three: Mass building using tech reactors to outnumber the Zerg. Marines, Thors, battle cruisers, to wipe out diff bases making it down 2 lanes that attack. This strategy works well enough but in the end your out of resources and you get overwhelmed before you can kill all of the zerg bases.
I really could use some advice, I beat hard mode some time back before 2.04 brutal seems to be unbeatable for the moment. I have tried every day now since and I am now looking for some advice.
Edited by JCarrillo on 8/18/2013 2:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From what I've heard facing Nydus is considered easier on brutal than facing air.
Reply Quote
02/28/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Anvos
From what I've heard facing Nydus is considered easier on brutal than facing air.
that doesn't help since I cant go back and change it, so back to my previous question stated in Post #1
Edited by JCarrillo on 2/28/2013 3:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Are you hunting down the the nydus worms when there isn't a rush coming? It is pretty easy if you keep on top of the nydus worms so they don't stack up.
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 02:33 AMPosted by Pongsifu
Are you hunting down the the nydus worms when there isn't a rush coming? It is pretty easy if you keep on top of the nydus worms so they don't stack up.

I have no Nydus worms to worry about, just the Air units and of course the Leviathan.

does no one read my post? :(
Edited by JCarrillo on 3/2/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well, you seem to have all the upgrades in line My suggestion is mass ghost with turrets to back up the mutas on the ledgesNaturally you you the unit converter thing that mind controls enemy unit permanently. take the mutas and get a mass muta flock, take air units whenever you can. By the ened you will have a muta flock that is bigger than 200/200 and with your ghost you should be able to overrun the attacks!
Reply Quote
that doesn't help since I cant go back and change it, so back to my previous question stated in Post #1

First of all, yes you CAN change your decision. Just have to reload a Campaign Savegame from the first Char mission and then choose "Shatter the Sky" mission instead of "Belly of the Beast". You can re-do those previous missions in the easiest difficulty so it won't take much time and effort and then change difficulty back to Brutal for "All In" once again. Difficulty can be changed between missions as many times as you want.

Second of all, having done both the Air and Nydus Worm versions of brutal "All In" I can safely say that the Air one is definitely harder but obviously not impossible. With Nydus Worms all you need is a Cloak Banshee squad (about 10-12 of them is optimal if memory serves me right) to hunt them down where they pop up and a lot of bunkers/tanks at the chokes on both sides of your base to keep all the other zerg out.

If you really want to do the Air version and you don't want to go back and get more optimal upgrades (example: Hive Mind Emulator helps a ton) then basically all I can say is tough break. If you're set on doing it with the upgrades you already chose then it pretty much just means you gotta play better. Be more alert, be quicker with your reactions and unit commands. That's about all that can be said.

Also patches have had no effect on the Campaign as far as I can remember. The unit/balance changes certainly do not apply to campaign units. It's possible that there has been alterations to the AI however to make it a bit more responsive but the AI still has to use the same tools/units it did on day one.

edit: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Campaign/All-In
You can always try checking out Liquipedia for more help. Might find something interesting.
Edited by Wrecker on 3/2/2013 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Sorry, got confused by this post:

For some reason I read that backwards...
Edited by Pongsifu on 3/2/2013 2:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
10-12 tanks per side with 3 bunkers fully loaded. 6 scvs per side. If your going for the hard use the artifact once then do it on the overlord drop (wait till they all get in range). Buff all your wpns lvls to 3. Armor if your done with wpns. Then spam missile turrets around artifact and dump the rest of the supply into vikings. You should do it no sweat from there.

Note: Tanks 3 range back from the bunkers and with some space between. Every kerrigan spawn you should lose no more then 3. Just replinish from there. Save your bcs to tank the leviatan.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 08:29 AMPosted by Risk
Well, you seem to have all the upgrades in line My suggestion is mass ghost with turrets to back up the mutas on the ledgesNaturally you you the unit converter thing that mind controls enemy unit permanently. take the mutas and get a mass muta flock, take air units whenever you can. By the ened you will have a muta flock that is bigger than 200/200 and with your ghost you should be able to overrun the attacks!

I don't have "Hive Mind Controllers"

03/02/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Pongsifu

Sorry, got confused by this post:

For some reason I read that backwards...

Lol No problem :)

03/02/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Wrecker

First of all, yes you CAN change your decision. Just have to reload a Campaign Savegame from the first Char mission and then choose "Shatter the Sky" mission instead of "Belly of the Beast". You can re-do those previous missions in the easiest difficulty so it won't take much time and effort and then change difficulty back to Brutal for "All In" once again. Difficulty can be changed between missions as many times as you want.

Second of all, having done both the Air and Nydus Worm versions of brutal "All In" I can safely say that the Air one is definitely harder but obviously not impossible. With Nydus Worms all you need is a Cloak Banshee squad (about 10-12 of them is optimal if memory serves me right) to hunt them down where they pop up and a lot of bunkers/tanks at the chokes on both sides of your base to keep all the other zerg out.

If you really want to do the Air version and you don't want to go back and get more optimal upgrades (example: Hive Mind Emulator helps a ton) then basically all I can say is tough break. If you're set on doing it with the upgrades you already chose then it pretty much just means you gotta play better. Be more alert, be quicker with your reactions and unit commands. That's about all that can be said.

Also patches have had no effect on the Campaign as far as I can remember. The unit/balance changes certainly do not apply to campaign units. It's possible that there has been alterations to the AI however to make it a bit more responsive but the AI still has to use the same tools/units it did on day one.

edit: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Campaign/All-In
You can always try checking out Liquipedia for more help. Might find something interesting.

Actually I switched from my PC I formatted to my laptop that has the save file on it, there is no previous save file, so actually I can't go back, but thanks for the tip :) I was aware of the changes, but unfortunatly there is no going back unless i start from the beginning. which is silly since I have completed this mission on casual, normal, and hard with all achievements, I just need to beat this mission on brutal to Finnish.
Reply Quote
10-12 tanks per side with 3 bunkers fully loaded. 6 scvs per side. If your going for the hard use the artifact once then do it on the overlord drop (wait till they all get in range). Buff all your wpns lvls to 3. Armor if your done with wpns. Then spam missile turrets around artifact and dump the rest of the supply into vikings. You should do it no sweat from there.

Note: Tanks 3 range back from the bunkers and with some space between. Every kerrigan spawn you should lose no more then 3. Just replinish from there. Save your bcs to tank the leviatan.

Hope this helps.
See this nis a good strategy I will try, I tried the mass tanks and perdition turrets with Missile turrets from the back, this helps, and the scvs with medics is also a strategy I been trying, I don't get overrun there, the artifact is what get's over run. I also save the artifact for when kerrigan comes, I clean all the zerg right before she hits and push marines on here, so that works well, the problem more less is the levi, because the viking even with wpns at 3 still fail, they do well and i hardly loose any through the mission, they focus on the broodlord,s but they dont have the range upgrade so when they face the levi they get picked off, i normally have 2 squadrens of them, whivh is 7-10 vikings, after the levi comes wither i loose them all to air units or when i attack the levi the levi and its brood take them out eventually and I loose the artifact. I haven't tried spectres because i heard the ghost are for the range.

I have tried and fail several times, every time is around 26 mins.
Reply Quote
Since you still haven't finished the mission, I'll just recommend you play back through the entire campaign on casual, either switching to Nydus worms or getting hive mind emulators instead.

If you go nydus worms, siege tanks and banshees are your BFFs. Siege Tanks destroy absolutely everything that's on the ground if you've upgraded them, except Kerrigan. Banshees should be used to take out Nydus worms and Kerrigan. However, don't use all your Banshees against Kerrigan, or try to split them up to attack her on different sides, or one storm takes them all out and you become open to Nydus Worms. Having PFs instead of Perdition turrets helps lots as well, because with a few SCVs behind them, they can tank lots of damage, and you don't have to replace marines. I'd recommend having the attack speed research as well, because surviving longer is good, but killing things before they can do much damage is better. That's all I can remember from my run.

If you go air, use the Hive Mind Emulators to take over brood lords to kill Kerrigan, and basically every Mutalisk that comes your way. You become unstoppable with an army that size.

Tl;dr: Ground version, upgrade Siege tanks, Banshees, get PF.
Air version, lots of Hive Mind emulators, GG Kerrigan.
Edited by Zenzeri on 3/5/2013 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZHQMgkgkog

try this...make sure you go ground....and no you don't have to follow *everything* this guy does but as an intelligent being you should be able to extrapolate a solution to your problem.
Reply Quote
Start with moving your BC's to the back of your base, just behind the mineral line. There will always be a broodlord or two every now that then that can be dispatched via Yamatos. Build a ton of turrets at the artifact, and leave the bunkers there. I sometimes build one ore two more bunkers.

Pull all your ground units behind the artifact (low ground) build two psi disrupters on the low ground but behind your ramps (toward your CC). Line the area there with about 10-12 tanks as someone already suggested.

Build marines and a few medics to deal with Kerriga while you spam vikings.

When Leviathan comes, you can lure him with your vikings to your turret wall near the artifact. Don't clump the vikings up because they will get mass funguls. Use 3-4 and lure it to your turrets and then finish him off with your vikings while your turrets take the beating.

Don't forget to put turrets up behind your mineral line to take care of small groups of mutas that may attack your pair of BCs. You can also put 3-4 vikings back there on standby and they should be fine with their biosteel.
Edited by hanster on 3/7/2013 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Man, you got like the worst research upgrades. Artosis has similar ones and it took him forever to beat all-in air on brutal, and he's a masters player. Then again, artosis was trying to play the game like it was multiplayer (e.g, not abusing campaign-only units).

Also, you got the psi-disruptor and chose to fight air? :s

All I can say is good luck... I'm playing brutal right now and I'm trying to gear EVERYTHING towards what I need to beat all-in.
Reply Quote
just play the while campaign on casual, just make the basic upgrade on dics rines and tanks. and save b4 get into char. Then upgrade armory and lab according on what u going to do all in air ¿hive mind? or nydus ¿mass tanks and slow zerg shiit
Reply Quote
I heard the bare minimum for this was planetary fortress, tech reactor, full upgrades for the Banshee, Marine, Medic, SCV, and Siege Tank, and buy Dusk Wings. Never tried it though.
Reply Quote
I beat All-in Air in brutal.
I went Hive mind heavy to be able to finish it but since you don't have that here is what i suggest. Since you have IMO have very good Turtel upgrade you should make a Exelent wall.Remenber that in this mission you main focus would be to make a fast/mobile army to deal with all the zerg mutil front attacks, so build your base with enough space soo you don't end with a conga line everytime you move your marine.

First-Fall back and wall up near your base.
Build Bunker and field then with MARUDER! first but leave space between you bunker so Units can move fast to one side to you base to the other,behind bunker make Perdition turret to deal with ling and then put 4+ tanks(get siege breaker)in each side with 2-4 SCV in auto repair and finally put 1-2 Psi disruptor in each front.That should deal with almost all the ground(Lings,Roach,hydra,Ultras) that zerg had, but you still have a giant hole of Anty air.

Second-Build 5 Rax and get a 40 marine supply with Upgrade and Medivac next to Artifact, They will be your Anty air. One biggest problem in this mission are all the mutas they send you from all side. That is why you need to have then Up there. You can swin back and foward to attack your two entrance and and still Proctec the Tower. Also Marine are the best counter vs Kerrigan. You don't want her to reach you wall or she will blow it open and allow all the zerg in.

Third-Build Viking15+, Science Vessel 4, Battel Cruiser 4 + the 3 they give you at the begining(Get the mErcenari) They are your Anty Leviatan team. At soon you have an army like that, Attack, Use irradiate,Yamato and micro to kill it fast.When you are done, move your BC to the Mineral line to deal with arrasment and leave anything else over the artifact.

Other Tips
-Move your BC to the center to deal with the Space drop pod of zerg and over mineral line at the begining
-Get all the Merc you can!!! they are AWESOME,specially siege breaker
-Get 2 EB/armory and Get all upgrade fast(The first wave of zerg have 1/1)
-Know when kerrigan attack, Don't use your artfact 3mint before she attack. You want to use it on her when she is close enough to you,to focus on her with your marine without worrying about your flanks.
-Leave vikings over bunker to deal BL/Mutas.

Good luck, hope this become useful to you.
Reply Quote
First off, it's going to be kind of ugly simply because your tech tree choices aren't very optimal. Really there's one big choice you need to make for this mission: whether you will use the artifact on the Leviathan or the subsequent Kerrigan wave (they're too close together to use on both).

Obviously you want to go with a bunker/siege tank defense for most of it, getting some missile turrets/vikings to clean up mutas and brood lords. You need a medic/marine ball to deal with Kerrigan because she'll eat your siege tank lines alive. I prop up 3 turrets or so at each entrance, in the back, and another 7-8 in front of the artifact.

If you chose to use the artifact on the leviathan, you're going to need to invest double into your MM ball and get a couple of extra siege tanks to replace the ones you're inevitably going to lose. I'd stop at 15-20 vikings in this case. If you use the artifact on Kerrigan instead of the leviathan, you're going to need to throw down an extra starport and pump out some BC's for yamato- vikings won't cut it there.

For upgrades, infantry attack is probably the most important, followed by vehicle attack. You want air attack/armor and infantry armor eventually, but it isn't as immediately important. Vehicle armor is rather underwhelming- your siege tanks shouldn't be getting hit much anyways.

Either way, you're heavily reliant on your ability to multitask in this mission since you didn't take any of the easy ways out. If you can't hack that your best bet is to go back and get better upgrades.
Edited by Borgbilly on 3/17/2013 12:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]