StarCraft® II

Your top 5 all time game disappointments

Bioshock and Diablo 2 disappointments? What? </3 Alright, I can understand Diablo 2 but Bioshock? Come on!

1. Diablo 3 - why couldn't you be like D2, whyyy

2. Mass Effect 3 - its ending, its counter to everything you fought and did in the first two games, not only that but the latest dlc Citadel felt like a slap in the face

3. Assassins Creed 3 - dull plot and boring main character

4. Crysis 2 - boring, your generic-fps but with awesome graphics that I have ever seen in a while but can't top the king, metro 2033

5. Skyrim - was awesome when I started but eventually, everything felt recycled and the same thing over and over, the story was also lacklustre
Edited by Exemplar on 4/10/2013 4:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I really have to disagree with you on Oblivion, I found it to be a much better game than Morrowwind in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Bioshock and Diablo 2 disappointments? What? </3 Alright, I can understand Diablo 2 but Bioshock? Come on!

Being a System Shock 2, I had great expectations for its much-hyped "spiritual successor". What I got instead was a mediocre, heavily-scripted mainstream shooter taking place in an implausible setting and served with an obnoxiously pretentious story. Thank goodness, STALKER was there to console me.

I have since gotten over my disappointment, but really, at the time, that game really made me angry.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 4/15/2013 5:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Fair enough, System Shock was also a good game indeed.
Reply Quote
The most dissapointing games for me have been in the latest 3-5 years.

1 - Duke Nukem Forever - I don't even have to start;
2 - All Borderlands series - too boring. Basically a Diablo from FPS perspective, that just doesn't work for me;
3 - Red Alert 3 - didn't live up to its predecessors;
4 - Prototype 2 - too similar to the original one;
5 - Hitman: Absolution - the same thing as with RA3.
Edited by Nomenanza on 4/24/2013 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In no certain order.

1. Dragon Age 2- This doesn't need an explanation. The only good thing was I had a voice, other than that it was pretty bad.
2. SW:ToR- lol.
3. WoW: Cataclysm- Boring, easy, to much rehashing.
4. Mass Effect 3- lol
5. TESV: Skyrim- Main story was retarded, the game was way to !@#$ing easy even on the highest difficulty(this was on a %^-*ing XBox), Magic was broken as !@#$, sneak was broken as %^-*, melee was broken as !@#$ once you got Deadric.
6. Ever CoD after WaW- It's just the previous game with prettier graphics and a few guns swapped in and out
7. EA- EA is the cancer of quality gaming.
8. Blizzard- WC4 where
9. Gears of War 2- Awful online play
10. Gears of War: Judgement- Turned into 3rd person halo
11 Bioshock Infinite ending- Those kind of endings leave a bad taste in my mouth.
12. Prototype 2- Suprise Mercers a bad guy now, aka poor and lazy writing.
Reply Quote
Hope this doesn't count as necro-posting, but I just saw this thread; here goes...

- Rage

This game was being billed as a cross between Fallout and Borderlands in that it would have vehicles, be in a post-apocalyptic setting, have item crafting, but wouldn't use a leveling system. The game had stellar graphics, audio, rock-solid controls, and a lot of potential, but was ultimately a failure.

The campaign was incredibly linear; once you finished a certain area/level you could never go back to it (unless a side-quest called for it), and the overworld had nothing of value in it, nor was there much of anything to do. Sure, you could try and beat your top score on Mutant Bash TV, but that was about it. The Rage Cup races were awesome, but lacked variety, and there simply weren't enough of them. Perhaps the biggest let down of all though was the story. The game leaves many, many questions unanswered, and a lot characters fates are unresolved. This game had massive potential in my opinion, and iD squandered it.

- Metroid: Other M

Being a huge fan of the series, I had high hopes for this game. It was tauted as being more akin to a 2.5D Metroid, and would feature classic gameplay. The first warning sign that this was going to be bad should've been the developer: Team Ninja. This group is known primarily for one game, and that game is Ninja Gaiden. Now, Ninja Gaiden is not a bad game. The problem is, the concepts and ideas of that game are totally different from those of Metroid, but that's essentially what we got: Metroid Gaiden, a complete mash-up of the two that resulted in one of the worst games, if the worst game I have ever played.

The gameplay is incredibly linear, which is the total opposite of the series' usual open world exploration in which the player is only limited by their current skills and equipment. Other M forces players forward with the only time that you can backtrack being once you've beaten the game, totally defeating the purpose of going back and obtaining the remaining power-ups the player will inevitably miss on their playthrough. Boss battles are literally ripped straight from Ninja Gaiden in that players are pitted against a massive creature in the middle of a huge chamber to try and ramp up the scale and give the game a more epic feel. Ultimately, they just end as an epic fail since most fights are merely an exercise in hitting the auto-dodge button and waiting to shoot the weak spot. Speaking of dodging, yeah that mechanic is lame. It takes so little effort to actually win an engagement there is no feeling of "I blasted that alien scum good!" or "Glad I took care of that abomination". Another huge sin in this game is the is the infamous quicktime event, first introduced in Shenmue. This garbage has creeped its way into far too many adventure games, and is an exercise in laziness by developers that want to make a game feel more "interactive" in a cinematic way.

The soundtrack and audio were both totally lackluster. Metroid soundtracks are usually organic sounding, to help immerse the player in the alien world they are delving into. Other M's soundtrack consists of boring techno-pop that is neither catchy nor memorable, and doesn't fit a single area of the game.

Graphics and art in this series are traditionally (read: always) dark, as the original game was actually inspired by Ridley Scott's Alien. His name is even used for Samus' recurring arch-nemesis, the Pterodactyl-like Ridley. This game forgoes this for a very anime approach: lots of vibrant colors. There are simply too many vibrant colors, and they are all over saturated badly. The game looks cartoony, and the feel of being on a dark, hostile, alien planet with each room looking as foreboding as the next is lost in a sea of color. The overall art style is clearly once again, Ninja Gaiden re-skinned with Metroid.

Finally, we come to the story. The writing is atrocious. The plot, incredibly stupid at best. It consists of emasculating the hero Samus (oh I'm aware Samus is female and that I just used the term emasculating) by making her into a panicky, less than confident soldier constantly seeking the attention of the daddy figure in her life, her CO Adam Malkovich. The plot only gets worse as players soon realize that they have every power-up for the suit from the get-go, but simply can't use them until they have Dad's permission. Add to that a series of awfully conceived side-kicks in the other Galactic Federation Marines who are along for the ride and you end up with a terribly written story of pathetic whiners, overly complex plot twists that are not complex (they're simply bland and stupid), and an anti-climactic ending that will leave you disappointed at best. I was warned not to buy this game by a buddy of mine. I guess I should've heeded his warning as I can never get that time or money back.

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The only game I've been really competitive about. It looked promising at first, minus a few dumb characters they announced to be in the game. Feeling uneasy, I rented the game first to get a better feel for it. What I got was a huge let down.

The roster is disappointing. There are two non-Nintendo characters that were !@#$%d out to appear in this game: Solid Snake, and Sonic the Hedgehog. Both of these characters were not fun to play as. Sonic was simply not a good character, and Snake is incredibly broken (his hit-boxes are all over the place, and his explosives have way too much knock-back and do stupid damage). The rest of the roster featured some bland new characters, and a few returning favorites including mine: Captain Falcon and Fox. I won't pick apart the entire roster as it will take too much time.

The gameplay is just awful. Horrible physics, no wave-dashing, random tripping, Final Smashes; this game is literally designed for children. Sakurai (the game director) made a happy accident with how they designed Melee, and this game is the polar opposite of it. Thankfully, the Smash community has designed a mod (it does not require modding your system, just downloading the patch for the game) that undoes the horrible design by adding in the Melee physics, fixing characters by adjusting their hit and hurt boxes, and a host of other things.

-Final Fantasy: The After Years

I loved Final Fantasy IV, and hoped this game would be an interesting look at the world now that some time had passed. The game is basically a series of bite sized adventures for a small group of characters that mostly consists of serious grinding followed by a few frustratingly difficult boss fights. The writing is pretty lackluster, and the new character abilities just feel tacked on. Unless you're a die hard fan of the series or are looking for a serious challenge in beating this game, don't bother.

-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

I liked it at first, but the more I played it, the more I realized what I had been playing: a Michael Bay film in the form of a video game. Explosions a-plenty, forgettable characters, cheesy one-liners, and a stale story that isn't original in any way all make for a predictable game that just gets old real fast. The gameplay is fairly solid at least.
Reply Quote
1. Star Wars Battlefront 3 cancelled (both times). This game just needs to happen already.

2. Star Wars 1313 cancelled. I was really excited to try this out. It looked pretty awesome.

3. The legendary ending of Halo 4. I didn't like the special ending because it took away some of the mystery.

4. No firefight in Halo 4. Spartan Ops is pretty awesome, and I think it's lots of fun along with their incredible movies at the start of each episode, but requiring an internet connection with Xbox Live Gold is totally uncool.

5. No LAN option in SCII. I get that most gamers play online nowadays, and I certainly don't know what goes into programming that, but I think it would have been nice to let people play LAN matches.
Reply Quote
#1 : Duke Nukem Forever : Well , where to start . Not like this game was abyssimal it was just not what it was suppose to be... at least still a little enjoyable with the DLC.

#2 : Serious Sam 2 : WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ....

#3 : Black Ops II : Campaign was good , Multiplayer however felt to repeptitive and bland to me.

#4 : Rage 2 : IT GOT CANCELLED . The original ended on such a bs note that it almost had to be completed.

#5 : Quake Live : As of recently they ditched most of the classic arenas , which puts this on my **** list....
Reply Quote
#4 : Rage 2 : IT GOT CANCELLED . The original ended on such a bs note that it almost had to be completed.

Aside from the ending, how is the original?
Reply Quote
-Final Fantasy: The After Years

I loved Final Fantasy IV, and hoped this game would be an interesting look at the world now that some time had passed. The game is basically a series of bite sized adventures for a small group of characters that mostly consists of serious grinding followed by a few frustratingly difficult boss fights. The writing is pretty lackluster, and the new character abilities just feel tacked on. Unless you're a die hard fan of the series or are looking for a serious challenge in beating this game, don't bother.

It's because it was originally a Japanese cell phone game series so they needed to drag out the content hence the grinding.
Reply Quote
1-megaman 1

2-oblivion

3-call of duty 1 2 3 4

4-diablo 1

5-i am empty
Reply Quote
let's do a little countdown, shall we?!

#5: World of Warcraft (post the Burning Crusade). the true spirit and challenge of the game is forever gone. R.I.P. the glorious old days! patch 5.0 was literally the nail in the coffin for me.

#4: Armoured Core series on PS3. Total BS!! took away the difficulties and ridiculously well done balancing of the later 3-series on PS2. it's made to be noob-friendly so that the series can be mainstreamed. The AC games on PS3 look especially pale in comparison to Last Raven - which till this day still remains as my top rated game of all times with a 9/10 (the soundtrack - when compared to AC3 and AC3.SL - is quite literally the ONLY down for me)... closest to that high rating is a 2-way tie between SC.BW and FO3 with 8.5 ^^

#3: Command & Conquer 4. I don't really mind a small change... but a change to the gameplay of this classic series THIS BIG without any good reasons is just... a failure. also the development was rushed and under-staffed. Blizzard should look at this as a good example of what NOT to do...

#2: Diablo 3. well... don't need much explanations here I guess... way to disappoint the high hopes for a decent sequel to one of the best games ever made by mankind. so I guess it's more like DiaBLOWS 3.

#1: Mass Effect 3. yup. takes the cake. what started out as a well made game series with fairly decent sci-fi and story just got turned into the biggest collective pile of human stupidity, hatred and faeces with its truly awesome ending. need I say more?
Edited by ynori on 5/11/2013 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
#1: Mass Effect 3. yup. takes the cake. what started out as a well made game series with fairly decent sci-fi and story just got turned into the biggest collective pile of human stupidity, hatred and faeces with its truly awesome ending. need I say more?

I'm curious: had it not been for the ending, would Mass Effect 3 have not been such a disappointment?
Reply Quote
Aside from the ending, how is the original?

Read my write up of it. If you want, I can get you a link to a full review I wrote on it at gamefaqs.com. It had serious potential, but iD squandered it.

It's because it was originally a Japanese cell phone game series so they needed to drag out the content hence the grinding.

I keep forgetting about that. Still, I was hoping for something a little more polished. Oh well.

05/10/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Doomrpg
megaman 1

That is a classic right there! Most people that don't like it usually are turned away by its difficulty, or the fact that it isn't Mega Man 2.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 11:01 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf

I'm curious: had it not been for the ending, would Mass Effect 3 have not been such a disappointment?

where should I start... ok here's an example: the actual appearance of the reapers in ME3 was a huuuuge let down. after all those hypes about this omnipotent ancient 'evil', with unfathomably advanced technologies that eats galaxy-spanning civilizations for breakfast from the first 2 games... what actually turned up was just simple machines that are programmed to kill. from this and other story elements that are hastily ganged together to fit the plot, you can see straight up that the storyboard development is probably done during toilet breaks.

I was expecting to fight a vastly superior enemy that I have absolutely no chance of winning. I was expecting a last stand. but what I got was simple missions to recruit a rag-tag team and then started pushing back, and eventually defeating GODS by throwing rocks and sticks. and 'different' endings that are just... just... i'm lost.

/faceplam

I got my ME3 key for free, because EA messed something up with my account and this was their way of saying 'sorry' (now in retrospect it was probably a big middle-finger from them by giving me his game). and now after playing it, I STILL want a refund.
Reply Quote
05/11/2013 11:25 PMPosted by RadioMan
Read my write up of it.

Yeah, I've read it, but as far as gameplay is concerned... I dunno, Id games are always incredibly linear and generally never allow you to revisit previous levels. Also, even before Rage's release, the developers had repeatedly said the game was not to be an open world game. I'm surprised one could expect the opposite.

In fact, my question should have been "As an Id game, how is Rage?"

05/12/2013 05:31 AMPosted by ynori
where should I start... ok here's an example: the actual appearance of the reapers in ME3 was a huuuuge let down.

I hear you: I think the Reaper fleet should have never been allowed to leave dark space to begin with. If anything, ME3 should have focused more on the Collectors launching a counterstrike and Cerberus' efforts to build a "Trojan Horse" Reaper using the remains of the Human Reaper to neutralize the Reaper threat.

Heck, I would go as far as to say Shepard should have died at the end of ME1 and the sequels should have each featured a new protagonist (Taylor in ME2 and Vega in ME3) dealing with the consequences of your previous actions. Heck, Cerberus could have even had Shepard brought back in ME3, but instead as the evil counterpart of what he/she was in ME1 in order to further the Illusive Man's pro-human agenda.

But I digress: if the entire ME3 is such a mess, then why did people obsess so much on the ending?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 5/12/2013 8:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
#5: World of Warcraft (post the Burning Crusade). the true spirit and challenge of the game is forever gone. R.I.P. the glorious old days! patch 5.0 was literally the nail in the coffin for me.

I don't think WoW is more "easy" right now than it is "accessible". I skipped Cata because I thought it was meh, but I did play through WotLK and some of MoP. Yes, they made it easier to obtain good items by making more 10 mans and !@#$. And making 10 man versions of 25 man raids, to be more accessible to the general public (some people couldn't get together 25 people). However, if you were in a good raid guild, you could have done 25 mans and gotten better equipment that way. And if you were totally baller, you could do heroic 25 mans and get even better equipment, and if I recall in WotLK, heroic 25 mans were pretty tough. Except for ICC after they added the 30% buff for everyone.

In MoP, they added LFR, which makes it more accessible for casual players (ie people not in a raid guild) to see content and get (crappy) purples. Yes, that caters to the casual people, but again: if you were totally baller and a hardcore player, you could always do heroic raids (which are pretty hard). Besides that, you have challenge dungeons, which if I had to say, are about 3 or 4 times harder than the heroic dungeons in BC (especially if you're trying to get the Gold). Same with PvP. The dregs could get the same level of equipment as the Gladiators, but Gladiators would have a different colour on their equipment to signify that they're total ballers.

Coming from a previous Duelist (I got all 5 pieces of Wrathful + tier 2 arena weapon), I think that's a pretty good change on their part. It's like if two people were playing tennis, and then they gave the guy that won more games an awesome racket, tennis shoes, etc. And then on the other hand, they'd give the other guy like a 15 year old used racket, busted up shoes, and so on. If you're a better player than the other guy, you wouldn't need a difference in equipment to beat them. All you'd need is your skill. And I think that's how the PvP should be; it should be about which team works better together, their individual skill, etc. to determine who wins. Instead of being, "Which team has better gear".

Oh, and I also thought that ME3 was okay. Sure, the ending sucked and everything, but I wouldn't judge the entire game based on that. There's still the gameplay, characters (I think they were more memorable than the ME2 ones, like that black dude who was one of your first companions), story up until the last half hour or so, etc.

However, I was considering getting Armored Core 5. I guess you wouldn't recommend it, huh? I just like mech games, and those are pretty few and far inbetween now. I heard AC4 sucked, and 5 was... marginally better, so I was wondering if it's worth a shot.
Edited by Delmin on 5/12/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the only AC games that are truly challenging and worth getting are Nexus and Last Raven (for the hardcore, like me). both of them are on the good ol' PS2. I think you can pick a 2nd hand one up at your local game shop with your lunch money.

ME3 fails because of the way the approach the ending. in the first 2 games you make your choices during the game and that affects what you get in the end. but in ME3 no matter what you do and what you choose during the playthrough, in the end you can just go select what you want. THAT is why people are so mad about it. but why do people got obsessed with ME3 endings? well, I say it's because followers of the series refuse to accept what they got so they try over and over in vain attempt to make sense of everything.

and even the gameplay and character development aren't really that different from the previous ones anyways, nothing really makes it standout as to classify it as an 'improvement'.

as for WoW, yes some changes in the more recent patches does indeed make the game more accessible, that I have to agree. what I am referring to is the fact that they made the gameplay so much easier with the revamps on talents and items. I know they are trying to get rid of cookie cutter builds but what they did is gave EVERYONE the same thing, so all you need to do well is to learn the correct button pressing sequences and don't even need to use your brain to value and compare your options for skills and gear.

p.s. well I guess not everyone's a pure gamer. only nerds in nerd city are so picky about everything >> the public IS the majority...
Edited by ynori on 5/12/2013 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]