StarCraft® II

The Dig

So i was playing campaign again i got to the "The Dig" does anyone else have the problem of not being able to control the laser drill because it's a neutral unit?
Reply Quote
I believe your not able to control it until Matt or one of them suggests using it on the protoss archons.

If you still can't click select it go to your options and reenable the select enemy and neutral option.

If you have Hercules by this mission it makes a good spotter to use the laser to destroy the protoss bases.
Edited by Anvos on 3/5/2013 2:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
TRICK: If you have Orbital Commands and your base is adequately protected, you can scan the Protoss base and use the laser drill to kill structures. There isn't a Nexus on the right base, so you can significantly reduce the enemy threat by taking out warp and star gates. Note: You can reduce the enemies production by killing the 2 Nexuses on the right, but the probes will rebuild it. To successfully stop any rebuilding and mining, kill the Nexus, then kill 2 probes/scan. Once each Nexus and probe is destroyed, the attacks will dwindle to nothing. This is also a good way to get Yippee-Ki-Yay....... .
Reply Quote
Personally I find the Hercules drop ship one of the better scouts for this mission to serve as the lazer's spotter if your going for the destruction route.
Reply Quote
So i was playing campaign again i got to the "The Dig" does anyone else have the problem of not being able to control the laser drill because it's a neutral unit?

You don't get control of it until Matt Horner says he's giving you manual control of it, right when the protoss threats (archons at first) start pinging on the map.

Also make sure to give it other attack targets with the shift key while its still killing the first target, as it automatically resumes firing on the vault door if no other targets are selected before then.
Reply Quote
Float a barracks over the Protoss base. It's half the minerals, costs no gas, and is twice as durable as the Hercules.
Reply Quote
03/12/2013 04:10 PMPosted by DBarricade

You don't get control of it until Matt Horner says he's giving you manual control of it, right when the protoss threats (archons at first) start pinging on the map.

Also make sure to give it other attack targets with the shift key while its still killing the first target, as it automatically resumes firing on the vault door if no other targets are selected before then.

You also need to remember to attack the first without holding shift or else it will just stay burning the door.
Reply Quote
The level itself is quite doable. Just wall off the ramps with bunkers, pump out tanks and turrets as needed, and let the laser do its job. (Don't forget about the relics for the Protoss research.)

To get the "Yippee Ki-Yay" achievement, is a whole other can of worms. There I'm stumped.
None of the suggestions I've seen so far seem to work...
Floating barracks, Vikings, M/M/M ball backed by STs & Goliaths, Nukes, OCC Scans, various combos of the above, etc.
I even tried cheating a bit and dropping to casual to pick up Thors before my last attempt, no joy.

Any of these methods are a cakewalk on Normal, leading to a quick win by wiping out the Protoss before the laser is even close to finished. You would think that, at worst, this might come down to a game of beat-the-clock on getting that last building down on hard. But instead, the better I do, the faster they overrun my base.

On the other hand, since most of the guides I've read/watched were put together before HotS, I'm now wondering if Blizzard buffed up the Protoss in version 2.x on this one. (Or maybe made the laser work faster on the door, so you don't have as much time?) Following the video guides move-for-move, the size and frequency of the Protoss attacks don't match up to what is shown. I even saw several claiming to be on Brutal, but only encountering Normal sized/timed attacks.

Even with the laser targeting everything they send at you, enough still get through to demolish your defenses (usually the air attacks, since they move in immediately, only time to target the Void Rays.) By the time its possible to dig in well enough to fend off the Archons and Immortals, the Colossi are coming out and the attacks are almost constant. And at that point, there isn't time enough left to get more than a few buildings down.
Reply Quote
03/08/2013 08:46 PMPosted by Soundwave
TRICK: If you have Orbital Commands and your base is adequately protected, you can scan the Protoss base and use the laser drill to kill structures. There isn't a Nexus on the right base, so you can significantly reduce the enemy threat by taking out warp and star gates. Note: You can reduce the enemies production by killing the 2 Nexuses on the right, but the probes will rebuild it. To successfully stop any rebuilding and mining, kill the Nexus, then kill 2 probes/scan. Once each Nexus and probe is destroyed, the attacks will dwindle to nothing. This is also a good way to get Yippee-Ki-Yay....... .

Umm... It sounds like you are suggesting that Nexuses go down on a single scan. They absolutely do not.
Reply Quote
03/09/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Anvos
Personally I find the Hercules drop ship one of the better scouts for this mission to serve as the lazer's spotter if your going for the destruction route.

Holy cow, I did that too! I didn't think anybody else did because everyone was suggesting using barracks as a spotter
Reply Quote
What you can do if you have ghosts is used cloaked ghosts to defend/nuke enemy bases. It takes a while, but is very doable.
Reply Quote
If you're having difficulty on hard, here's how I did it on hard:

-1. constant scv production
0. pretty early on, get another factory
1.5 2 bunkers in good position defending tanks on the left, 1 bunker adjacent to top of ramp on the right, fill with 2 marauders,1 medic, 1 marine) (also need to have groups of 2 or 3 missile turret on both sides of laser, and also 3 turrets by your 7 siege tanks next to the expo.
1. macro like crazy to get to about 10 siege tanks,
2. put all tanks around the laser (not in two group on the two sides,
2.5 scatter scv's around your tanks and turret ball (my two turret clusers were just to the side of the tanks, so my scv placement was so that the scv could repair both) for auto repairing, 2 or 3 scvs per "small area" is enough (basically bunker and turrets and tanks were all within range)
3.I just let the protoss come barely up the ramps un attacked, only to die to being shot by 5 siege tanks
Make 5 siege tanks in an arc around each ramp, then get 7 more, expand, and use those 7 to defend your expo
4.make two starports once you get your expo running
5. don't forget to upgrade ground mech when you can afford to (i.e. when your macro is rolling and you can afford constantly making 2 tanks off two factories

I eventually stopped tank production when i couldn't die from attacks. I then went 2 starports with reactors, floated a barracks, and went to the very left of the map, up to the top corner, and started to kill the main base with the laser and my air vision, being careful to not overextend (although I messed up and lost everything actually and had to do it several times)

I killed the nexus and the rebuild nexi about 5 times the first try. The last try, i finally realized i had to kill the probes in the mineral lines, because they will constnatly rebuild the pylons and cannons.

(you should be flexible if you want to follow this, basically macro hard, decrease the surface area you have to defend (i.e. putting siege tanks really close the laser so you have one giant cluster of siege tanks around the laser and don't worry about the protoss coming up your ramp because they will die to critical siege tank numbers/cluster), and have at least 3 clusters of 2 or 3 turrets up as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to move buildings around, although I did it without moving any buildings.

basically, for hard, you just have to have good building placement, put down an extra turret or two beside each of the ones already given to you, get two factories that make siege tanks (eventually constantly once you have enough scv's, and if you want to kill stuff with the laser, you need to expand to making more stuff)

Also, make sure to not put tanks on the edge of the right of your main base if you have siege tanks next to your expo defending your expo since the high ground tanks will shoot the low ground tanks.
Hm, i got a critical mass of siege tanks on hard (after of course making sure my macro and main base and expo were safe - you should try to get, went mass vikings and floating barracks

The last try, I cheated, and did casual and a single barracks let me to inch my way into the protoss base. Basically i went to left of map, up (so around the tower thingy you're supposed to kill as bonus) and inched into the top base from the left and killed every unit with the laser as soon as i could right click on it. This included probes. Also, you there is a spatial orientation that lets you click on cannons that are barely in range of a barracks (in thin annulus (circle) that is between the fog of war and your vision and so you can kill cannons without taking damage.
(The orientation is something like directly horizontal and slightly up or down (or switch horizontal/vertical)
You can also kill archons, voids, and scouts if you inch really slowly with barracks on casual mode before they attack you.

edit: i forgot to say that on the casual run, I managed to kill all protoss buildings with the laser using about 2 or 3 barracks (they eventually died since I did have an orbital for mule repair and since i got impatient and was less careful as the game progressed)

Apparently, you can beat the level by kill all protoss buildings instead of using the laser to finish kill the xelnaga thing. It was pretty awesome :)
Edited by hurdler on 1/12/2014 10:50 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]