StarCraft® II

Common Concerns Following Patch 2.0.4

Community Manager
Over the last two weeks, we’ve recognized a few issues that StarCraft II players have raised repeatedly. We want to make sure that everyone playing the game is able to enjoy themselves, especially following a patch with as much new content and ways to play as patch 2.0.4 contains. Here is a partial list of the most common issues we want to make sure are addressed:

Latency
For many players, the background downloader defaulted to a state of unexpected high activity. You can find a complete explanation of that here. Along with today's patch 2.0.5, this should no longer be an issue.

Where is Global Play?
While Global Play was technically enabled with patch 2.0.4, we did not expose the Region button for Global Play until patch 2.0.5 (today). Furthermore, you will not see the Region button if you have "Remember Account" checked. For most, finding it is just a matter of unchecking Remember Account Name and then clicking the up arrow next to the login ID field. That takes you back a screen and the Region button should appear on the far left.

Don't forget that you can't play in a region that has not yet updated to your version of the game.

Where is "vs. AI" mode?
To play a custom game locally against AI opponents, go to the Custom Game screen, right click on any map you want in the map list and select “Create Offline Game”. This will create a local lobby and allow you to select AI opponents of various skill levels as you could previously.
You can read more about this and discuss it here.

Language Selection
With patch 2.0.5 (patch notes here), we fixed a bug preventing this feature from showing up if you had not fully updated the game files. Please note that the Options/Language tab is only available after you've logged into the game. You cannot change language from the Options button on the login screen.

Actions Per Minute (APM)
A number of players have noted that the APM calculation appears to have changed. We can confirm that there is an issue here, and we're working on a fix that should come with a patch after the release of Heart of the Swarm. Furthermore, we've long had a goal of changing APM so that it is perfectly accurate with regard to real time. We continue to work on that, and intend to have more to say about that in a few weeks.

That Idle Worker Indicator
It's not as easy to notice as we originally thought it would be. We've seen a number of players ask us to address that, and we're on it. Our hope is that with a patch after the launch of Heart of the Swarm, we'll be able to make it stand out a lot more.

-----

There are other issues that we've noticed players question over the last couple of weeks and even today since patching to 2.0.5. At this time, we continue to investigate everything listed in our Known Issues thread.
Reply Quote
could you please tell us an ETA for update on the other servers?
ps. would have been nice if you guys released it all at the same even if it would have been time at a later time :/
Reply Quote
my frames per second post patch 2.0.5 are still just as bad as patch 2.0.4.

~90fps-120 on medium graphics. (sub 30 fps on ultra)

before patch 2.0.4 I had 200+ fps on ultra graphics...

Also my "suggested/recommended" settings are to play on ultra based on my specs so idk y the frame rate has dropped so significantly.
Edited by stealth on 3/6/2013 9:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
could you please tell us an ETA for update on the other servers?
ps. would have been nice if you guys released it all at the same even if it would have been time at a later time :/

All servers should be updated to the same version by the end of this week.

Our global deployments always run the course of a week's time. It's not a process we can easily change.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Different then the "Vs AI" question, a Offline Mode and Guest Mode are no longer easily accessible; the button to enter Offline Mode won't appear unless you can't actually connect to battle.net. Furthermore, you cannot host Arcade Maps offline they way you can in Melee maps to play vs the AI. Are these concerns going to be addressed too?

Thanks!
Edited by TheSkunk on 3/6/2013 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
The "open games" screen for arcade and custom games still does not have a bookmark column. This is a step backward from 1.5.4.
Reply Quote
Different then the "Vs AI" question, a Offline Mode and Guest Mode are no longer easily accessible; the button to enter Offline Mode won't appear unless you can't actually connect to battle.net. Furthermore, you cannot host Arcade Maps offline they way you can in Melee maps to play vs the AI. Are these concerns going to be addressed too?

Thanks!
This.

I feel like this was an important part of the UI that got "lost". I would be really grateful to see this re-integrated, if possible.
Reply Quote
Actions Per Minute (APM)
A number of players have noted that the APM calculation appears to have changed. We can confirm that there is an issue here, and we're working on a fix that should come with a patch after the release of Heart of the Swarm. Furthermore, we've long had a goal of changing APM so that it is perfectly accurate with regard to real time. We continue to work on that, and intend to have more to say about that in a few weeks.

I had a feeling it was a bug. Nice to know it'll be addressed.

That Idle Worker Indicator
It's not as easy to notice as we originally thought it would be. We've seen a number of players ask us to address that, and we're on it. Our hope is that with a patch after the launch of Heart of the Swarm, we'll be able to make it stand out a lot more.

Ehh... really? I think they're fine the way they are. Can't imagine them getting any bigger without significantly distracting from the art.
Edited by SolaGratia on 3/6/2013 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
my frames per second post patch 2.0.5 are still just as bad as patch 2.0.4.

~90fps-120 on medium graphics. (sub 30 fps on ultra)

before patch 2.0.4 I had 200+ fps on ultra graphics...

Also my "suggested/recommended" settings are to play on ultra based on my specs so idk y the frame rate has dropped so significantly.

This^

I used to be able to play the game on ultra settings before patch 2.0.4 and now it barely runs at all on the lowest settings. I can't play MP because it drops me because of lat now and SP runs so slowly that it is almost not playable.

Hope you guys are still looking to fix it because I've been running through a ton of hoops (even contacting my ISP) trying to fix it but it's not fixable on my end because it's a problem with the patch, not my hardware.

I aprechiate that you guys tried fixing it but you need to know that it's still not fixed.
Reply Quote
Actions Per Minute (APM)

Thanks for finally acknowledging that there is a problem with APM. It was annoying trying to convince people that their APMs didn't triple all of a sudden just because"APM is now calculated in real time."
Edited by WTFunk on 3/6/2013 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
So do we know what's wrong with the APM calculation? I'm just getting back into SC2 and have really enjoyed trying to raise my APM. Is it safe to assume that while the actual numbers are off, they are not randomly inaccurate, and so if I get 110 one game and 130 the next, I know my APM was in fact higher to some unknown degree, even though the actual numbers themselves are inaccurate?

(Not expecting a Blizzard answer on this, just wondering if any players are familiar enough with the issue to be able to answer with some confidence.)
Edited by Brad on 3/6/2013 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey so I found a funny bug where the worker counter on the Command Center would inflate on the numerator and the denominator would decrease :S

It has happened a couple of times, but had different effects. I think you guys need to do a little debugging on that to figure out what causes it because 32/12 with one worker being removed turning to 32/11 doesn't really make sense....
Reply Quote
The fact that you managed to make this poorly optimized game have even worse frames stemming from the recent patch dumfounds me. Then again you did take 2 years to nerf the infestor so maybe I should come back when Legacy of the Void is in beta stages.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Brad
So do we know what's wrong with the APM calculation? I'm just getting back into SC2 and have really enjoyed trying to raise my APM. Is it safe to assume that while the actual numbers are off, they are not randomly inaccurate, and so if I get 110 one game and 130 the next, I know my APM was in fact higher to some unknown degree, even though the actual numbers themselves are inaccurate?

Not necessarily. It appears that average APM is additive at certain timer counts so the longer the game goes on the higher your average APM will be. If you had 110 APM in a 10 minute game and 130 in another 10 minute game then yes you had more APM in your second game. But if you had 50 APM in a 5 minute game and 200 APM in a 40 minute game your actual APM may have been the same in both games.
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 01:34 PMPosted by BobbyDigital
Then again you did take 2 years to nerf the infestor so maybe I should come back when Legacy of the Void is in beta stages.

Uhh, I am pretty sure the one year anniversary is drawing near, not the two year.
Reply Quote
Hey so I found a funny bug where the worker counter on the Command Center would inflate on the numerator and the denominator would decrease :S

It has happened a couple of times, but had different effects. I think you guys need to do a little debugging on that to figure out what causes it because 32/12 with one worker being removed turning to 32/11 doesn't really make sense....

I've noticed this as well, but the number seems to change when mineral patches are exhausted. You no longer require the amount of workers you had before to optimally saturate a base.
Edited by Aristarcus on 3/6/2013 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

I've noticed this as well, but the number seems to change when mineral patches are exhausted. You no longer require the amount of workers you had before to optimally saturate a base.

Hmmm I will do some investigating...
Reply Quote
03/06/2013 01:37 PMPosted by WTFunk

Not necessarily. It appears that average APM is additive at certain timer counts so the longer the game goes on the higher your average APM will be. If you had 110 APM in a 10 minute game and 130 in another 10 minute game then yes you had more APM in your second game. But if you had 50 APM in a 5 minute game and 200 APM in a 40 minute game your actual APM may have been the same in both games.

Okay, that makes sense and is a trend I had noticed. Thanks for filling me in.
Reply Quote
FPS is a MAJOR issue. I used to be able to play 2v2's with 1600x900 res and unit models on high. Now 2v2's are completely unplayable even on the lowest settings at 1280x720 res. And even my 1v1's crash to like 2 frames a second during major engagements, meaning until you fix this TERRIBLE optimization I'm doing nothing but cheesing if I'm not playing a different game that actually works properly.

But seriously, has Blizzard become so inept that they can ruin the fps in a game by CHANGING UI? That's unacceptable for a larger company. This happened too with the arcade patch. I paid $60 for this game, I don't care if you don't update and balance the game, but it does get on my nerves when you release !@#$ty patches that break and ruin the game. (Eg. Arcade patch, Queen buff)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]