Urgent!!!! Radeon 5870 for mac Issue

Dear All,

I have a serious problem with my new Radeon HD 5870 for mac. While playing graphics intensive games like Starcraft 2, the screen will flicker or go into a hard freeze with either vertical grey lines or a blank screen.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

My system detail as follows:

Mac Pro (early 2009)

Processor 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Many thanks.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
since the mac pro is easy to open up. i'd check to see if the gpu fan on the 5870 is working when computer is on. i have heard stories about these going bad and the gpu overheating. you could also use smc fan control to increase the actual towers case fans to remove more ambient heat from case (which helps the gpu stay cooler as well. it is what I do on my 2008 mac pro with 5870 so the gpu fan doesn't have to rev up nearly as much (cause that fan is loud as crap and my case fans are quiet, so i'd rather rev up my case fans manually then listen to that gpu making all that noise)
Reply Quote
Thanks for your reply

how can I manually control the fans??
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
You can install smcFancontrol to adjust fan speed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]