StarCraft® II

Brutal No Evolutions/Bonus Levels?

failing at conviction became too much of a chore and i lost interest

I gave you a free pass to save progress there, cheat to skip it, and do the rest, and come back later or just admit it's impossible.

I suspect the rest of the missions will be quite doable with infestors.
Reply Quote
Trying this out right now.

If you do Char and then Zerus, it allows you to NOT select any Kerrigan ability after the 2nd tier, so that can be an additional challenge on top (that means no healing skill either).

EDIT: Up to the final Kaldir mission. With only standard zerglings, the part where the Protoss come out of stasis is actually pretty tough. There's one portion that has an immortal that just crushes any roaches, and the rest clean up and then gang up on me. I had a LOT of trouble on the final Zerus mission because Kerrigan is so underleveled, but managed to pull through with some save and loading.
Edited by Kramerica on 5/14/2013 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Trying this out right now.

If you do Char and then Zerus, it allows you to NOT select any Kerrigan ability after the 2nd tier, so that can be an additional challenge on top (that means no healing skill either).

EDIT: Up to the final Kaldir mission. With only standard zerglings, the part where the Protoss come out of stasis is actually pretty tough. There's one portion that has an immortal that just crushes any roaches, and the rest clean up and then gang up on me. I had a LOT of trouble on the final Zerus mission because Kerrigan is so underleveled, but managed to pull through with some save and loading.

Brave manm, keep going! And I permit you to save a file before conviction and skip past it with a cheat and come back later because I believe it's impossible the way with the restrictions.
Reply Quote

EDIT: Up to the final Kaldir mission. With only standard zerglings, the part where the Protoss come out of stasis is actually pretty tough. There's one portion that has an immortal that just crushes any roaches, and the rest clean up and then gang up on me.

Have you tried morphing some of the zerglings into banelings to deal with the zealots, then surrounding the immortal with lings? I don't remember the exact details about the segment you are talking about, so I don't know if that idea is practical or not.
Reply Quote
How was your Warfield experience? I imagine something painful like mass queens/banelings is the only thing that makes any sense, since unupped lings are just : ( and aberrations are the lulz.
Reply Quote
For the Warfield missions you just have to macro up hard before committing to an attack to take over a base. Also, you can avoid nuke damage by having your army outside your bases.

Kerrigan with that chain lightning ability isn't too bad. But no kinetic blast = ugh. I really miss sniping thors/tanks. Also, ghettolings :P

EDIT: Conviction is ridiculous....relying on spawn queen healing, really? Still, I'll try to do it without skipping this mission.
Edited by Kramerica on 5/19/2013 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
EDIT: Conviction is ridiculous....relying on spawn queen healing, really? Still, I'll try to do it without skipping this mission.

The timed part will be hilarious o_O

Yea I figure everything except conviction should be doable; with infestors you can just steal what the enemy has and/or trash light unit squads with fungal.
Reply Quote
I just reached the timed part...and I think it actually is impossible. The very start is a choke point with a friggin thor standing there with no way to avoid taking massive hits. Even if I do a run by with the couple of zerg strays as decoy the next room has tons of infantry there too with goliaths - and a SIEGE BREAKER.

EDIT: If I inch just close enough to the siege breaker group, reinforcements come in to clear it. Right after that is another room with 2 regular tanks and a lot of forces, and after THAT is the mass reaper part...

I may have to go back and redo with the heal ability because this is just insane.
Edited by Kramerica on 5/19/2013 7:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mad props for trying.
Reply Quote
Furthest I got was running out of time while attacking the door to the last room. it is ugly.

The thors on second level weren't bad. You have to clear the top level with as many surviving units as possible, burrow banes on the brige. Draw the bio over it and blow them up, and then you're fighting only the thors. keep the queens back so he can't shoot them and they can keep healing. burrow micro to save units.

but good !@#$ing luck beating the whole level lol.
Edited by Oboeman on 5/19/2013 10:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Do you think having kinetic blast would cause you to be able to beat the level? It would be preferable to use kinetic blast than unlock another tier of abilities.

Edit: and if you really must, swap out to crushing grip as well. Don't go to the third tier if you can help it =).
Edited by Damastes on 5/20/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I swapped out for the charge attack for the extra boost in running and another immediate attack. I was able to fight into the final room, but just ran out of time.

Maybe I could try to just run by the encounter with both thors to save time? I always end up abandoning my troops before the mass reapers anyway.
Edited by Kramerica on 5/21/2013 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Mad props! Do eet. Show Brutal who's boss.
Reply Quote
It's done. With 4 seconds to spare too.

I also just realized that since this was done before Skygeirr, you also do not get ultralisks for reinforcements in the final engagement. Still, I truly think it is nigh impossible without kinetic blast and psychic charge simply due to speed.
Reply Quote
Damn son! Now go spank the rest of dem missions with dem infestors.
Reply Quote
Up to the second Skygeirr mission. Again, a low leveled Kerrigan w/ ghetto skills makes this timed mission a bit harder than usual. I had to lead Terran troops into the first hybrid to kill it :P

As for now I'm having a procedure done on me tomorrow so no updates till thursday at the earliest.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
I like these kinds of challenges. I loved playing wol with no swann upgrades, no research, and no mercenaries.

For your challenge Damastes, I like it but I may try it with one change: just like how we are not to go into the Evolution Pit, I will not go into Kerrigan's chamber. So whatever the game gives me for kerrigan by default, I've have to stick with it.

I do understand your requirement for setting all kerrigan's passive abilities (and heal) to reduce her offensive capabilities, but I find it more satisfying to never alter her at all.. just use what your given only.

Otherwise, I like the idea of going to char first because you're only AA/ranged unit for the WHOLE series of missions are queens... and they can only be made one at a time per hatch!
Reply Quote
I like these kinds of challenges. I loved playing wol with no swann upgrades, no research, and no mercenaries.

For your challenge Damastes, I like it but I may try it with one change: just like how we are not to go into the Evolution Pit, I will not go into Kerrigan's chamber. So whatever the game gives me for kerrigan by default, I've have to stick with it.

I do understand your requirement for setting all kerrigan's passive abilities (and heal) to reduce her offensive capabilities, but I find it more satisfying to never alter her at all.. just use what your given only.

Otherwise, I like the idea of going to char first because you're only AA/ranged unit for the WHOLE series of missions are queens... and they can only be made one at a time per hatch!

Good man. Now give 'em hell!
Reply Quote
you aren't going to get any stats from levelling either levi :p. the stats are applied when you visit the kerrigan chamber. I didn't visit either for the first missions, but I did for conviction and still couldn't do it.
It's done. With 4 seconds to spare too.

I also just realized that since this was done before Skygeirr, you also do not get ultralisks for reinforcements in the final engagement. Still, I truly think it is nigh impossible without kinetic blast and psychic charge simply due to speed.

with blast and dash? ok i may try that.
Reply Quote
You need to do some dash-->dash-->burrow at some parts to activate nydus worm reinforcements; in particular, the one right before the final door (if you dash past the reapers, they will follow you and camp on top of you heh, but right when reinforcements arrive you need to unburrow or your hydras/lings get owned quickly).

The second skygeirr mission is a little tough until you memorize the timings of the attacks so you know when to be at your base. You have to expand once to keep up with production and have a couple of infestors to take over thors and fungal up infantry. The first Terran attack comes at a time when you can draw the hybrid to them too, so that helps. The last one is cake though since you have Stukov and his super OP snipe.

All that's left is Korhal. I remember the first mission being a real pain though the first time I did it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]