StarCraft® II

Monitor goes black

I have read other posts and checked google but I haven't found a solution that has helped. Pretty much every time I try to play, about ten minutes or so in my monitor goes black and there is nothing I can do but restart the computer. I usually listen to something on itunes while I play and that continues to play through my speakers even after the screen goes black. This never happens any other time besides during starcraft 2 so I'm not sure what is causing it. Any ideas?
Edited by ADTR on 3/11/2013 6:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Black screens can unfortunately be caused by a lot of variables. Thankfully, we have a support article that gives you troubleshooting for most all of them. Give it a go! :)
Reply Quote
I have looked at that page before and I honestly cannot figure out how to update my drivers because I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 and that isn't even listed on their website.

As for the firewall I have Norton and nothing has changed since the black screens have started happening. Would it have suddenly changed and start happening because of the firewall?

Also, I have tried the repair tool. Is there anything else I can do?
Reply Quote
Bump for anyone who can help me please.
Reply Quote
Last try?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Here's the latest drivers for Windows 7 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.07-whql-driver.html

These are for Windows 7 32 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-314.07-whql-driver.html
Edited by Velnrak on 3/13/2013 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you, I don't know why I couldn't find those.

But unfortunately I tried playing and the same thing still happened even after updating the drivers.
Reply Quote
Are there any other ideas?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you see what happens in Windowed mode and Windowed (fullscreen) mode?
I tried and it still happens in windowed mode.
Reply Quote
i am having the same issue and it also persisted through a driver update. I am using a GTX670 @ 2560 x 1440 dual display.
Please note when it doesnt freeze just gives a black screen. When that happens i move my mouse to the other monitor and enable/disable dual display and it begins to work again, saving me from not losing the game.

Appreciate any efforts put forth by the blizz staff
thanks
Reply Quote
That won't work for me, I actually have my computer attached to my monitor and TV but both go black when this happens.
Reply Quote
oh must be because i am on extended display rather than duplicate
Reply Quote
I am on extended also so it sounds like we are having different issues.
Reply Quote
Would getting a new graphics card fix it?
Reply Quote
I get the random black screen as well.

I can still hear ingame sound and my friends on skype. But the screen stays black and they say I am lagging out, then I drop out of the game....

COME ON!
Reply Quote
My Friend has the same problem, roughly 10 minutes into any game his computer blackscreens and all we hear is OH **** IT JUST BLACK SCREENED GG, then he dcs

Id really appreciate it if anyone could fix this or hook me up with a solution?
Reply Quote
same thing happens to me, I have no idea why
Reply Quote
is your game resolution the same as your monitors resolution? I ran into this problem during vanilla...if they dont match it could be causing some problems on older video cards that dont like to change resolution. There some variable file you have to get into...and change your resolution manually. Either in your documents..or a file where you see your downloads there should be a starcraft file...click on it....then click varibles. CHange your resolution to your monitors. See if that helps. You have to put in the text in the right place..and make sure it is right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]