StarCraft® II

HOTS randomly crashing my whole computer

(Locked)

I'm also not running an nvidia card so I don't think it has to do specifically with that set......i did figure out a dumb work around though. I've figured out that's its only on the menus when it crashes....so all i do is log in and tab out, while my friend enters us into a multiplayer match, thus not rendering the menus on my screen. When we enter a match, i tab back in, and im fine the whole match....until the game is over and i tab back out and repeat the steps. dumb
Well, I completely updated windows, as well, and it's still crashing.

That eliminates all the suggested causes located here:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/lockups-and-general-crash-errors-pc-26260

Gonna open a support ticket.
I'm also not running an nvidia card so I don't think it has to do specifically with that set......i did figure out a dumb work around though. I've figured out that's its only on the menus when it crashes....so all i do is log in and tab out, while my friend enters us into a multiplayer match, thus not rendering the menus on my screen. When we enter a match, i tab back in, and im fine the whole match....until the game is over and i tab back out and repeat the steps. dumb

Mine's the opposite, never happens in the menus. Glad you've got a work around.
Well, I've done tons of things to try to fix this... Reformatted, tried various things with my drivers. Reinstalled SC2 several times. Tried different settings. Monitored the heat in the various components of my computer as well as stress tested my GPU. Uninstalled possible culprit programs. Tried closing all other programs and processes through task manager. Tried preventing all non-windows tasks and services from loading at all via msconfig. Tried stopping about 1/5 of the windows processes from loading, through msconfig.

Still crashing! Still only in SC2.... I actually got to a point where I could play without crashing. I played about 4 hours in a row no problem. But that happened just once after a crash I was able to play fine. But as soon as I restarted my computer, back to crashing. I've got it to the point where I can play an hour or two without crashing so I guess that'll have to do.

*sigh*

Spent so many hours trying to figure this bloody thing out.
This happens to me too. Ridiculous.
Happening to me as well, only since HotS release.
Having a somewhat same issue. But I am not only having the issue in game, its also in the menu's. For example, I will run SC2 HotS fine. Loading menus, profiles, settings, games fine.. For a short moment.. Then the game will freeze locking up my entire computer to the point it doesn't respond to anything. I've left it sitting like this to see if it's a temporary freeze for about 15 minutes and nothing happened. This has happened after me playing the game for about an hour in a half to me starting the game up loading either Ladder or Arcade and the same thing will happen, so how long the game is running has nothing to do with it... I've went through making sure everything has been updated, done windows updates and such and it still happens... Uninstall/Reinstall nothing happens still crashing... Has anyone figured out a solution to this or even know what might be causing this?
Having a somewhat same issue. But I am not only having the issue in game, its also in the menu's. For example, I will run SC2 HotS fine. Loading menus, profiles, settings, games fine.. For a short moment.. Then the game will freeze locking up my entire computer to the point it doesn't respond to anything. I've left it sitting like this to see if it's a temporary freeze for about 15 minutes and nothing happened. This has happened after me playing the game for about an hour in a half to me starting the game up loading either Ladder or Arcade and the same thing will happen, so how long the game is running has nothing to do with it... I've went through making sure everything has been updated, done windows updates and such and it still happens... Uninstall/Reinstall nothing happens still crashing... Has anyone figured out a solution to this or even know what might be causing this?

That's a very different problem than what I'm having. Have you tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE? Alt tabbing can also work. Does it happen in any other programs? You should go through the Blizz support site and check their answers to crashes as there are many advanced suggestions they have that you didn't mention here.

You could try a hard-drive reformat. This solves maaaaany problems one may have. It can also be problems with the graphics card. That's one of the number one culprits for graphically intensive games like this. Also try closing other programs you have running. Try closing them all (including messengers, virus scanners, skype, etc) and see if you still freeze. If you don't, then you can be pretty sure one of those programs is causing it and you can trace which program is doing it.

You can also try creating a shortcut to the SC2 loader and put " -opengl -nosound" in the target field. Mine looks like this:

"E:\StarCraft II\StarCraft II.exe" -opengl -nosound

If none of this works and you can't think of anything else, try opening a support ticket. I've found they just make educated guesses and they mostly all have different guesses.... and now that my ticket has gotten to be about 15 posts long, they're suggesting things I've told them I've already done :( Still, worth a try.
Having the same issue. Other games play fine, but SC2 crashes my whole PC. I also got some screen distortion:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/0/5230/2465490-image.jpeg
Interesting, my screen distortion was different. It is like textures being stretched into irregular shapes. Never lasts more than a moment before Starcraft either freezes for a while or crashes a moment later. It goes with chirping sounds that can actually be very loud and painful sometimes.

I know it's not my GPU since I just got a new one. The only thing I haven't been able to rule out is my motherboard or CPU. But would either of those things cause graphical glitches like these? I wonder if it's DirectX related...
really blizzard how about you fix this bs already?
I can't believe we are all still trying to figure out whats wrong with our computer setups. It's obvious its a Blizzard problem and they have yet to resolve this.
Reinstall, new Graphic card, reinstall windows and guess what....It's worst. I can sometimes play for 1 minute max....and everything on low lol.
But earlier today I thought I had a fix, or setup to play...I got to play two EI games without a hitch. I had my windows screen at 1024 x 768 and the game at the same resolution. And everything on Low. But now its acting up again....and Im not even playing with a lot of action....in other words I'm playing at the very easy level. And I'm staying at the easy level because I have to keep on surrendering lol before my comp shuts off. And playing in windowed, I had no heat issues or over utilisation of the cpu. And since every other game on this earth works no problem, guess what.....It must be a Blizzard problem.
For me its not so much the computer crashing anymore, so much as it is the game just randomly quiting to desk top with an error message. This is happening a lot in multiplayer games.
Edited by Soulmancer on 4/5/2013 10:06 PM PDT
I have the same issue. temps are normal and i play much more demanding games on this rig for HOURS and no issues. But, I will get hard hang ups with sound and GFX issues every so often that force me to reboot the system. WoL never had an issue but HotS does. very dissappointing on top of the POINTLESS disc included in the box ( for those who don't know about this - you have to DOWNLOAD the entire game instead of install it . you put the disc in and it installs NOTHING after calling blizzard they wanted me to update my mozilla....)this is a huge issue with people who play on capped internet.

Blizzard has grown into such a disappointment over the last few years. This is apparently a widespread issue and NO BLUE POSTS.... I feel like only playing valve games from now on.

ATI 5870 1gig
amd x4 phenom 955 black edition @ 3.7 ghz
8gig corsair ddr 3 1600 ram
MSI 870 - g45 motherboard
Sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer fatality sound card
I love how Blizzard hasn't even responded to this thread.
I have the same issue. temps are normal and i play much more demanding games on this rig for HOURS and no issues. But, I will get hard hang ups with sound and GFX issues every so often that force me to reboot the system. WoL never had an issue but HotS does. very dissappointing on top of the POINTLESS disc included in the box ( for those who don't know about this - you have to DOWNLOAD the entire game instead of install it . you put the disc in and it installs NOTHING after calling blizzard they wanted me to update my mozilla....)this is a huge issue with people who play on capped internet.

Blizzard has grown into such a disappointment over the last few years. This is apparently a widespread issue and NO BLUE POSTS.... I feel like only playing valve games from now on.

ATI 5870 1gig
amd x4 phenom 955 black edition @ 3.7 ghz
8gig corsair ddr 3 1600 ram
MSI 870 - g45 motherboard
Sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer fatality sound card

So true, there are so many blizzfails. And they just keep coming.

I opened a ticket on this issue weeks ago. There were about 12 posts by various Blizz employees and almost all guessed a different solution. One guy just blamed my computer and claimed that SC2 cannot crash one's computer. The last contributor actually came back to contribute further and claims to have promoted the ticket to a higher level in tech support. But that was a week ago. Still waiting on any new information.

And while I freely admit that it could possibly be a hardware problem on my system, the fact remains that, as you say, it's not a problem with any other program, even with more taxing games. Thus, it MUST be at least linked to something Blizz put in SC2, probably something they put into HotS on release. Using MSconfig, and by reformatting all my hard drives, I've pretty much proved it's not a non-Blizz software issue.
I am having the exact same problem
Also having this problem. Had it on my laptop which made it unplayable. Bought a new computer and is starting again.
Having a similar problem, StarCraft II HotS will randomly crash my entire computer. It runs smoothly most of the time on the lowest graphics settings possible, but certain things, such as evolution mission cutscenes, will cause my computer to shudder to a halt regardless of graphics settings.

I was playing on High across the board in WoL. I can barely even play Low now. My question is: what the hell did they do? I've never seen anything like it. It somehow shuts down my entire computer, all by itself.

For god's sake, find out what's causing this bug and fix it, Blizzard. Or at the VERY LEAST, acknowledge that TONS of people are having this issue. Your game is borderline unplayable.
Edited by GeeHaus on 4/20/2013 10:47 PM PDT
Yup same thing happening here, only seems to happen in 1v1 matchmaking though, causes my whole system to crash and start buzzing... which im only assuming is bad
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]