StarCraft® II

WERE DID POLITICAL INTRIGUE GO? PROPHECYS ?!?

One of the things that made SC and SC:BW great was the political intrigue, the backstabing, watching the balance of power between the races and the inter-race factions.

Its the same reason game of thrones is so interesting.

It now seems that SC2 has taken all these political machinations and maneuverings out in favor of "Prophecy" and some big outside threat.

This seems very out of place for starcraft and whats more seems like a retread of the burning legion/war3 storyline.

Why did blizzard take this route? Is anyone else disappointed? Any chance we will see a return to the space opera character driven politics of the first games? This whole "different races band together against a common enemy" thing is just too predictable and feels like I am playing Reign of Chaos in space.
Reply Quote
Very disappointing. Add that to this ridiculous love story, Kerrigan flying....FLYING, the plot holes galore, and the terrible dialogues and if not for the gameplay, Heart would have been a lemon.
Reply Quote
Very disappointing. Add that to this ridiculous love story, Kerrigan flying....FLYING, the plot holes galore, and the terrible dialogues and if not for the gameplay, Heart would have been a lemon.
All the zerg were being pulled up into the Leviathan.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:29 PMPosted by Yarko

And when did a Leviathan ever show to have the power to "pull" units back into it? Yet another hole.

No, they did it for a dramatic cinematic moment and it was just stupid.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:35 PMPosted by medcsu

And when did a Leviathan ever show to have the power to "pull" units back into it? Yet another hole.

You ever see an Overlord land to load units? Or use it's long tentacle things to stuff them into their tummies?

You ever notice medivacs are just dropping people out of the sky, and they don't die?
Reply Quote

That's the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

Seriously, your whining about the Leviathan pulling stuff back? WHAT IMPOSSIBLE! there is no way that a giant Space Station sized beast would be able to do that!

Find something less stupid to whine about.
Reply Quote

Seriously, your whining about the Leviathan pulling stuff back? WHAT IMPOSSIBLE! there is no way that a giant Space Station sized beast would be able to do that!

When you actually play the game, beat it, realize the story line in said game, and most of all - matter, you will then be allowed to respond to me. Until then, you have no idea what you are babbling about because you have no idea what content is being discussed.

Oh and a side note, you are really, REALLY going to compare an automated space station to a creature and use that as your example to define what can and cannot be used to load troops? Thanks for that laugh. Now run along and play the game, then I will give you permission to have an opinion. Shoo shoo....you're still here?
Reply Quote
nerd rage......nerd rage everywhere!
Reply Quote
Im not sure what this has to do with leviathans...this is about the storyline
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:45 PMPosted by medcsu
Oh and a side note, you are really, REALLY going to compare an automated space station to a creature

He said space station sized.
Im not sure what this has to do with leviathans...this is about the storyline

Prophecy was hinted in SC1 through Brood Wars.
Reply Quote
It was hinted at ...but it was only extra flavor to an already embroiled uniservse with many competing factions

Which made the story interesting
Reply Quote
I don't want to hate on HotS because of Prophecy, because that's WoL's fault. HotS actually downplayed the prophecy crap, by saying one of the visions Kerrigan had as the old Queen of Blades was a message sent by Amon. Maybe they're all messages sent by xel'naga.
Reply Quote
Politics aren't a zerg thing. I'm sure you'll get your fill of politicking in Legacy of the Void.
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 02:37 PMPosted by Tierdal
It was hinted at ...but it was only extra flavor

No it wasn't. The extra Duran mission focused on the return of the hybrid in the near future. Now this is happening and the teenage kids are whinning about it.

Politics aren't a zerg thing. I'm sure you'll get your fill of politicking in Legacy of the Void.

Agreed. There should be much more politics in Lov with zeratul maneuvering to win the support of the conclave to his cause. The kids that think romances and girls have cooties should like that better.
Edited by DaveRoid on 3/20/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No it wasn't. The extra Duran mission focused on the return of the hybrid in the near future. Now this is happening and the teenage kids are whinning about it.

The hint really did not say anything about anything. We knew Hybrids existed (we knew nothing about what they looked like, how powerful they are, how many their are, etc) and that Duran served some greater master (almost everyone assumed this was Xel'Naga). That's about it.

I always thought of them coming in the same way Tierdal seems to have conceived it: as working within the already established system. A fourth faction with their own political and social intrigue that would form alliances and wage war based on their goals.

They do indeed fit this description at the most basic level, except that they are portrayed as essentially super beings whose only goal is to destroy. They are working outside the established system and Amon is literally seen as a god for some (Tal Darim). Its kind of hard to work a god into political systems.

For example, instead of having characters be motivated by political/power reasons, we have to just accept the fact that Kerrigan can't be killed because of a prophecy and a vision that the universe will end if she dies. It's nearly impossible to have characters navigate political complexities when there is a giant trump card like that.
Reply Quote
The hint really did not say anything about anything. We knew Hybrids existed (we knew nothing about what they looked like, how powerful they are, how many their are, etc) and that Duran served some greater master (almost everyone assumed this was Xel'Naga). That's about it.

I always thought of them coming in the same way Tierdal seems to have conceived it: as working within the already established system. A fourth faction with their own political and social intrigue that would form alliances and wage war based on their goals.

Umm they are not a race, that would be lame. They were literary Gods and were referenced as such numerous times in sc1.
Reply Quote

Everything has to be introduced at some point. If they showed that before the final cutscene, you could just as easily ask why you hadn't seen it before. And even if it's not that, given how powerful Kerrigan is levitation should be pretty easy.
Reply Quote

When you actually play the game, beat it, realize the story line in said game, and most of all - matter, you will then be allowed to respond to me. Until then, you have no idea what you are babbling about because you have no idea what content is being discussed.

Oh and a side note, you are really, REALLY going to compare an automated space station to a creature and use that as your example to define what can and cannot be used to load troops? Thanks for that laugh. Now run along and play the game, then I will give you permission to have an opinion. Shoo shoo....you're still here?

Leviathans are space stations. Zerg technology being based entirely on biology does not make it any less powerful or useful or varied than tech based on metal and electrons. Just because something is a living creature and not a lump of metal does not mean it can't possess the same abilities. I don't see you whining about terrans and zerg being able to communicate.
Reply Quote
Umm they are not a race, that would be lame. They were literary Gods and were referenced as such numerous times in sc1.

The word god was not used a single time in either SC1 or BW. The word religion was only used once, in possibly a condescending way meant as an insult. This is why there have been threads wondering how SC2 has turned into a fantasy that constantly referencing gods, religion, prophecies, and power.

The Xel'Naga were said to be an extremely advanced race capable of advanced genetic manipulation. They were essentially scientists who were trying to create a perfect race (purity of form and purity of essence) by locating races that showed promise and then helping them along.

The hybrids weren't mentioned at all except in the one mission where all we knew was that they were genetically engineered from zerg & protoss DNA. Still just another species like the Zerg and Protoss.
Edited by LovelyMines on 3/20/2013 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In StarCraft 1 it was.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]