StarCraft® II

how do you deal with swarm host

almost every zerg i face will just mass swarm host
Reply Quote
Mass marines, press T, and scan? Mass swarm hosts seems like a really terrible strat.

The other obvious thing that comes to mind, make a banshee or 2 and a raven.
Edited by Solo on 3/17/2013 8:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Mass marines, press T, and scan? Mass swarm hosts seems like a really terrible strat.

and you will die. Swarm host, to be honest wreak any ground unit that tries to straight up amove attack them.

The main problem being by the time you kill one wave of locusts, the next wave is already there.

Air is the way to go, assuming they make JUST swarm hosts and no hydras or corruptors or mutas
Reply Quote
You can also step tanks forward a little at a time until the splash damage forces the Swarm Hosts back.

Or, you can counter attack and do actual damage while the relatively immobile swarm hosts make their way back to defend. If you do it with hellions you can kill almost all of the workers.

Or, you can tech to BC/Raven while holding the contain with tanks and them steamroll the zerg while their supply is tied up in SHs and (presumably) hydralisks. judicious use of PDD is recommended.

Or, my personal favorite to attempt, carpet dropping widow mines ON TOP of the swarm hosts and burrowing while the locusts are away, using the splash damage to kill them.
Reply Quote

and you will die. Swarm host, to be honest wreak any ground unit that tries to straight up amove attack them.

The main problem being by the time you kill one wave of locusts, the next wave is already there.

Air is the way to go, assuming they make JUST swarm hosts and no hydras or corruptors or mutas

Swarm hosts on their own are terrible, you can easily A move against them with a larger force, which you should have if thats all they're getting.
Reply Quote

Swarm hosts on their own are terrible, you can easily A move against them with a larger force, which you should have if thats all they're getting.

You have to have MUCH larger force. Or trust me, you will get rolled. You have to be able to kill the locusts EXTREMELY fast, and they have serious dps. People really underestimate swarm hosts.

I can link you replays if you want. Especially with mech, but even with bio you cant engage swarm hosts directly.
Edited by John on 3/17/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just mass drop around him and take out his bases. Can't really win with just swarm hosts, you need lings, banes, mutas, infestors, ultralisks or vipers to win and if you just take out their economy cause they have an immobile army they can't produce those units :P
Reply Quote
Just mass drop around him and take out his bases. Can't really win with just swarm hosts, you need lings, banes, mutas, infestors, ultralisks or vipers to win and if you just take out their economy cause they have an immobile army they can't produce those units :P

^^

Just dont engage the hosts directly, multi pronged massive drops are your best bet. If you mech transition into air as fast as possible
Reply Quote
I usually go mech vs Zerg but if i see that zerg is going swarm host i make 3 startports and make a raven/banshee switch. and use my factories to stop tank production and make hellion/thors. If i see them make a hard switch to mutas or corruptors i stop hellion/banshee production and make vikings.
Reply Quote
Banshees are really good against them.
Reply Quote
You can also step tanks forward a little at a time until the splash damage forces the Swarm Hosts back.

Or, you can counter attack and do actual damage while the relatively immobile swarm hosts make their way back to defend. If you do it with hellions you can kill almost all of the workers.

Or, you can tech to BC/Raven while holding the contain with tanks and them steamroll the zerg while their supply is tied up in SHs and (presumably) hydralisks. judicious use of PDD is recommended.

Or, my personal favorite to attempt, carpet dropping widow mines ON TOP of the swarm hosts and burrowing while the locusts are away, using the splash damage to kill them.

That seems like the best advice. Swarm Hosts are scary good against ground forces, even stimmed marines. I saw my opponent building swarm hosts once and tried to build some Banshees to counter but he had hydralisks and an overseer (not to mention a load of roaches), so my Marine/Banshee army failed. I totally forgot about Ravens though, that would have helped as the particular guy I fought only had 3 Hydralisks. So I'd have to say Raven/Banshee or Raven/BC to counter swarm hosts. I'm no pro, that's just my humble opinion.

I have to say it is kind of annoying that they burrow completely in MP, in the campaign they didn't, well without you picking that mutation. -_-
Edited by HeyZeus on 3/18/2013 5:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hosts are really weak to flank attacks. Hosts are also really bad at dealing with drops and counter attacks to the enemy base. Air is good if you have it. Nukes only work if the zerg is bad. Mines might do ok if you can get them right on top of the hosts. Simplest thing to do is take advantage of the 25 sec window where the locust arnt next to the hosts and flank em.
Reply Quote
"I am terran I can't deal with swarmhosts.. YADDA YADDA YADDA."

Terran actually has free detection wherever the terran wants.
Terran has broken medivacs with speed to flank the swarmhosts or harass the zergs base.
Terran has broken widow mines to get map control and contain the zerg on 2 base until the terran can overrun the zerg.
Terran has Siege tanks that don't need an upgrade anymore.
Terran has reapers that don't need an upgrade anymore don't need a tech lab and still have the same old costs.

How come you can't figure out that you can just keep a zerg on his 2 base without him being able to do much? Just get like 10 widow mines around the zergs base he cant really do anything.
Go bio and force the zerg to go raoch/hydra to deal with drops/widow mines and possible early banshee harass.
Get 1-2 widow mines in each mineral line that kills all muta and zergling harassment.

Back to the swarmhosts:
Get some units into medivacs and flank the swarmhosts... reposition your army to outisde your base. When locsusts spawned and attack your front door just flank them and scan they are INCREDIBLY useless without locusts. Terrams should never have any trouble against swarmhosts provided that the terran is actually smart enough to attack between locust spawns.
Reply Quote
Widow mines destroy ling/bling/muta comps so if you get enough widow mines the zerg is bound to go roach/hydra... not that this would work either but whatever.
Reply Quote
sleepyPanda might be one of the most butthurt zergs on this forum right now. Entertainment at its finest.
Reply Quote

Terran has broken medivacs with speed to flank the swarmhosts or harass the zergs base.
Terran has broken widow mines to get map control and contain the zerg on 2 base until the terran can overrun the zerg.
Terran has reapers that don't need an upgrade anymore don't need a tech lab and still have the same old costs.

How come you can't figure out that you can just keep a zerg on his 2 base without him being able to do much? Just get like 10 widow mines around the zergs base he cant really do anything.
Go bio and force the zerg to go raoch/hydra to deal with drops/widow mines and possible early banshee harass.
Get 1-2 widow mines in each mineral line that kills all muta and zergling harassment.

Back to the swarmhosts:
Get some units into medivacs and flank the swarmhosts... reposition your army to outisde your base. When locsusts spawned and attack your front door just flank them and scan they are INCREDIBLY useless without locusts. Terrams should never have any trouble against swarmhosts provided that the terran is actually smart enough to attack between locust spawns.

Didn't u post this on like 3 different thread. If ur complaining about terran being op then switch to terran

Btw what building structure is require to get swarm host
Reply Quote

Back to the swarmhosts:

*Posts something that has nothing to do with what the OP's actually talking about.

Bring your mindless QQ elsewhere.
Reply Quote
drop on top of them when the wave is about to end
Reply Quote
The composition I like vs swarm hosts is widowmines/tanks/viking.

The key is to not put yourself in a situation where you are trading units to the (essentially free) locusts. Widow mines fill the role of killing locusts. The tanks (sieged up) prevent units from advancing towards the mines and the viking keeps overseers/overlords away from the mines.

Get the drilling claws upgrade so that you can advance the mines forward quickly between locust waves. Just keep inching towards the swarm hosts patiently until you are close enough that you can kill them off. If you do this right you should lose almost no units.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Or queens or spores (if there's creep). Which is a wishful thinking.
Edited by Greg on 3/17/2013 11:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]