StarCraft® II

For those that are crashing in campaign

(Locked)

Myself as well as a ton of other players have been suffering from the game crashing during campaign and AI missions. There has been a few threads about ATI users having this issue, but most of the comments have players reporting Nvidia hardware.

I was on the Nvidia forums earlier and a Nvidia rep acknowledged the problem and said they are looking into the issue. So if you are having issues with the game crashing your GPU or your entire computer, and you have a Nvidia GPU, I suggest just waiting things out until Nvidia comes up with a solution. I would not bother reinstalling the game, going nuts trying out tons of different drivers etc. A lot of users here have been trying to troubleshoot possible heat issues, which seems to be pointless because the issue largely isn't related to heat but more towards Nvidia error. Best option is to just wait things out.

I'll update this thread when Nvidia makes mention of a solution.
Glad I found you're thread Fusion. I have an NVidia 680 and the game keeps crashing while playing the campaign.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534681/geforce-drivers/gtx-titan-heart-of-the-swarm-crashing/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534644/geforce-drivers/crashing-in-starcraft-2-hots/

These are reference threads that people can refer to. It seems Nvidia users are facing constant GPU crashes, or even full system crashes. Just keep an eye out for an update from Nvidia within the next few days. I'll update this for everybody else if Nvidia posts a solution or releases a new driver update for us. :)
Hopefully they can fix this soon.
Double Post
Edited by Anarion on 3/14/2013 11:44 AM PDT
Yeah I have issues with the random crashing when i set my settings to high/ultra/extreme

with the whole directX/openGL error...

I did disable vertical sync which would let me play for a while after 2 campaigns until it starts doing the stuttering again...
Pretty much to avoid NVIDIA driver crashing you need to not have any background programs running and even shutting down Raptr desktop client for those that track gameplay is helpful. You got skype running in the background then shut it down. Any unnecessary programs should just be shutdown until a solution is found.
Chiming in to say I'm having the same issue. I'll be playing a mission, and suddenly the screen will tear wildly and a loud (I mean LOUD) screeching noise erupts and the geometry/textures disappear, with a crash to the desktop. Then, nothing on my computer will run properly until I reboot (Chrome failing, start menu has tearing and slowness) it's very annoying.

I just want to kill some dominion scum..

EDIT: Nvidia card user here. 560ti
Edited by TaylorEatPie on 3/14/2013 1:25 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Fusion,

Have you tried using an older video driver? Version 306.97, while a bit older may be a good one to try.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html
Didn't work.
I tried 310.90, 311.16 314.07 and 314.14, but I'll give 306.97 a shot. If it works for me I'll update :)
Computer restarts while playing campaign, GTX570 user.

Also any luck with that 306.97 version?
Thanks I'm running Geforce right now and keep crashing on Ultra which runs fine, but always crashes for some odd reason. This is really relieving to hear, Fusion.
I'm still testing out 306.97, but I came across this on Nvidia forums.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534888/geforce-drivers/starcraft-2-crash-3xx-xx-vs-267-85/

Guy recommends using 267.85. I would try that, but I don't think there is a windows 8 compatible version of that driver. If anybody running 7 wants to try that out please do so.
Going to try that now and see if it works, might take some time as my computer may crash and will take some time to restart.

Edit: Apparently 267.85 only supports GTX 590, so its not very useful.
Edited by Feeed on 3/14/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Computer restarts while playing campaign, GTX570 user.

Also any luck with that 306.97 version?

My firsts restarts were with the 306.97 version. I tried with 306.97, 314.14, 306.97 (again) and 310.70... It didn't work: I can't play campaign anymore because of the reboots

PD: I had not version 267.85 for my GTX470 so I can't try that
Edited by EcLiPsE on 3/14/2013 3:52 PM PDT
My firsts restarts were with the 306.97 version. I tried with 306.97, 314.14, 306.97 (again) and 310.70... It didn't work: I can't play campaign anymore because of the reboots

PD: I had not version 267.85 for my GTX470 so I can't try that

Care to post your computer specs? Would like to see if they are close to mine.
Also 267.85 is only for GTX 590. So unless you have it don't bother.
Blizzard Employee
Guy recommends using 267.85. I would try that, but I don't think there is a windows 8 compatible version of that driver. If anybody running 7 wants to try that out please do so.
The video is a bit old so I doubt the same driver would work.

My firsts restarts were with the 306.97 version
From all the "game freezes" threads I've come across, I haven't seen system restarts.

Have you checked to see if your computer temps are increasing? Download something like HWMonitor and check your system temps.

Also, is your video card overclocked at all?
03/14/2013 03:58 PMPosted by Roraks
The video is a bit old so I doubt the same driver would work.

My firsts restarts were with the 306.97 version
From all the "game freezes" threads I've come across, I haven't seen system restarts.

Have you checked to see if your computer temps are increasing? Download something like [url="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html"]HWMonitor[/url] and check your system temps.

Also, is your video card overclocked at all?

Im having the same problem as him, my system keeps restarting, i had ~40C temperature when my system restarted.
I use an overclocked GTX 570.
Edited by Feeed on 3/14/2013 4:12 PM PDT
i havent playied starcraft for awhile so i need to update before playing and i cant finish updating and my computer crashes and restarts
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]