StarCraft® II

2 Cinematics...

Is anyone else disappointed that there were only 2 cinematics in true blizzard style. Sure the game engine looks great but the cinematics are one of the things i look forward to the most in blizzard games.

Activision mandated budget cuts maybe?
Reply Quote
Huh?

Opening cinematic, Kerrigan vs. Zeratul, Kerrigan vs. Narud, Final Cinemetic??

Those are all CGI quality, there might of been more...
Reply Quote
Huh?

Opening cinematic, Kerrigan vs. Zeratul, Kerrigan vs. Narud, Final Cinemetic??

Those are all CGI quality, there might of been more...

Kerrigan vs Zeratul and Kerrigan vs Narud are no "true" CGI - cinematic by Blizzard. Doesn't mean that they were bad. I personally liked them. They are made with that "story-mode" - engine but with some CGI - effects or something.

@OP
I bet that LotV will have 3 again. I mean, anyone noticed that in the WoL INTRO, there are some short cinematic-frames in the end that still hasn't appeared in any cinematic in WoL or HotS yet ?

- Hydralisk attacks, with Fire in background
- Banshee flys through a city
- Kerrigan turns around and looks into the camera with her burning eyes
- Mutalisks flying deep
- Kerrigan (Or at least someone with the same Zerg- Heels) fights a Protoss (Zeratul?)
- Hydralisk gets shot by "laser" (obviously by protoss)
- Marines going to shoot something while a nuke explodes in the background

According to the colors of those frames and backgrounds and stuff, those could be at least 3 different cinematics. Some of those could be made only for the intro but some others look more like "story-mode" to me.

Starts at 2:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZd9n373vf4
Reply Quote
Is anyone else disappointed that there were only 2 cinematics in true blizzard style. Sure the game engine looks great but the cinematics are one of the things i look forward to the most in blizzard games.

I wish people like you would never come on these Forums.

1) Activision has absolutely no control over Blizzard or any of its games. All Blizzard is obligated to do is give Activision a heads up, as to what games they are making and when they plan to release them. Activision has no control over the budget, genre, release date ect.

2) Please enlighten me as to what "Blizzard" style cinematic is.

3) No I was not disappointed with any cinematic's.
Reply Quote
Yeah i remember the video you're talking about. Just coming from WoL having 4 (intro, kerigan vs Zeratul, kerigan flashback, and final) to 2 in HoTS scares me for the prospects of Legacy.
Reply Quote

1) Activision has absolutely no control over Blizzard or any of its games. All Blizzard is obligated to do is give Activision a heads up, as to what games they are making and when they plan to release them. Activision has no control over the budget, genre, release date ect.

1) Bobby Kotick is Mike Morhaime's direct superior at Activision/Blizzard. If you don't think that Activision's CEO doesn't have serious authority over budget allocation for Blizzard games you're insane.

2) compare Hots intro cinematic and final cinematic to the other 2 (which are made with the in game engine) the intro and final are in true blizzard style (see cinematics from other blizzard games for more examples)

3) Thanks for your input!
Edited by Vyas on 3/17/2013 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ye I was kinda disappointed too at first but I thought the Kerrigan vs Zeratul and Nazul cinematics were pretty good too.
Reply Quote
Those cinematics made with the in-game engine take much less time than the opening/ending quailty CGI, and are less expensive. I think they still look great, though I wish they were rendered in-game like WoL's did so we can use those models/assets in the editor.
Reply Quote

1) Bobby Kotick is Mike Morhaime's direct superior at Activision/Blizzard. If you don't think that Activision's CEO doesn't have serious authority over budget allocation for Blizzard games you're insane.

2) compare Hots intro cinematic and final cinematic to the other 2 (which are made with the in game engine) the intro and final are in true blizzard style (see cinematics from other blizzard games for more examples)

3) Thanks for your input!

1 . The deal under which Blizzard was given over to Activision stated that Activision cant touch Blizzard. The budget for all their games comes from Blizzard itself. Just Google the agreement.

2. That was somewhat of a rhetorical question but ok. We have the into, the Kerrigan vs Narud, Raynor Rescue, and ending. Pretty sure the Cacoon hatch is also CGI.
Reply Quote
Can you not see the difference? The cutscenes (except the opening and ending CGI) are all built using the in-game engine on ultra settings with more special effects.
Reply Quote
The correct terminology is rendered and pre-rendered. And the pre-rendering team they use is five-star and cost a lot of time and $$$. As far as the rendered scenes, the team Blizz has developed over the years has gotten really good actually. I'm not surprised some people didn't understand what you meant OP.

Note: You can test this by setting the graphics is low in-game and watching some of the cut-scenes vs. the pre-rendered stuff.
Edited by Turf on 3/17/2013 5:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In HotS, the settings don't change the graphics of cutscenes because they are ogv files. I think there are only 2 options to change the definition.
Reply Quote
In HotS, the settings don't change the graphics of cutscenes because they are ogv files. I think there are only 2 options to change the definition.

You are talking about the pre-rendered stuff. I'm talking about the rendered dialog scenes.
Reply Quote

OMG Activision does not own blizzard, it never owned blizzard, stop bringing up activision. Vivendi owns blizzard and activision.
Reply Quote
The opening, the shots of the Primal Zerg on Zerus, the fight between Kerrigan and Duran, and the ending. I count 4 shots of pre-rendered cutscenes.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 07:48 AMPosted by PaniponiX

OMG Activision does not own blizzard, it never owned blizzard, stop bringing up activision. Vivendi owns blizzard and activision.
Don't delude yourself Kotick owns their souls. They're slowly going the way of EA
Reply Quote
Bear in mind, those types of scenes tend to be rather taxing on time+ resources. I actually have a book they released on the making of Wrath of the Lich King's opening cinematic, and they noted that between all the planning, production, etc., it takes the better part of a year just to make one of those few-minute scenes.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to come back and touch on something.

Setting the activision thing aside, some people are coming in and saying "are you blind? there are 4!" citing the narud battle and the zerg homeworld (if you're counting those you can count Nova arriving to nab kerrigan, kerrigan hearing of jim's death on the ship's tv, and kerrigan breaking jim out of prison as well).

The thing is, while they look alright as far as cutscenes go, they are not the same as the intro and final cinematics, which are in the style of cinematics from other blizzard games like diablo and warcraft.

I've hesitated to say things like "pre-rendered" or "CGI" because people still seem to niggle and tell me "but they ARE pre rendered and CGI". If they are, that's not what I'm talking about.

If you want a clear example of the difference between the two kinds look at Mengsk's and Jim's hair in the final cinematic and compare it to scary Jim's in the narud fight.

Now I'm not saying I'm angry because of low def hair, it's just an easy way to notice the big difference in level of detail. Pre-rendered hair can blow in the breeze, game engine hair doesn't move (another good example of fine detail in true blizz style would be the fur on Arthas' boots in the Wrath of the Lich king cinematic).

the first and last Cinematics take WAY more money to make, and for WoL they were willing to splurge.

The cutback worries me for the future.
Reply Quote
What in gods name are you people talking about? 2 movies?

Numbers are being thrown all over the place and it doesnt make sense.

Trailer, Intro story, the arrival of Dominion fleet, Meeting on Hyperion, announcement of Jim's Death, Zeratul/Kerrigan fight (Queen of Blades creation but thats like 30 seconds), Warfield's death, Narud/Kerrigan fight, Freeing Jim, ending clip.

Thats 10 videos. Where the !@#$ are you getting 2 from?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]