StarCraft® II

HotS thoughts

Developer
Just wanted to let you know that our design team is watching every major match carefully and will continue doing so.

Some things we're noticing are:

- The super aggressive play is turning out to be really fun to watch.

- Nobody is close to figuring the game out yet.

- A few players are really changing up their play and having completely different results than what's expected by the majority.

- Some of the initial balance concerns do seem to be continuing in games whereas the more creative players aren't struggling as much against them.

Some things we're thinking of going forward:

- We'll try our best to not be too quick to make judgments on things that are allowing players to play a much more aggressive game. For example, yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

- We'll continue watching all the pro and community concerns, but keep in mind we'd really like the game to settle before we step in and make a move.
Reply Quote
Good to hear Dayvie.

Grats to your team on such a fantastic tournament. HoTS is turning out to be absolutely fantastic.

Can I ask a quick question though? Who were you cheering for in MLG this past weekend?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
Grats to your team on such a fantastic tournament. HoTS is turning out to be absolutely fantastic.

Good work guys.
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Dayvie

Imo you should explain to people at least the general concepts of how units should be used, strengths and weaknesses. Having everything as a black box might be entertaining to watch on your end, but it does turn some people away.
Reply Quote
Dayvie, this new rhetoric is very appealing.

I like the direction you're taking the balance team- comprehensive analysis and time for players to figure things out as opposed to knee jerk reactions.
Reply Quote
I think that people just rush to judgement on things. I think if WOL had played out Eveutnally infestor broodlord would have been countered by build orders working there way to helping players be ahead.
But people going to complain no matter what. they watch one video on youtube about widow mines and whine all over the place.

Looking at team games things are frusterating right now beacuse people suck so bad hahaha.
Reply Quote
Good to hear from you guys!

Keep up the good work, HotS is awesome :D
Reply Quote

- We'll try our best to not be too quick to make judgments on things that are allowing players to play a much more aggressive game. For example, yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

This. This is EXACTLY what Starcraft needed. I liked watching games before, but 20 minutes of nothing but build up to the final battle between 2 deathballs got kind of boring.

Now that everyone has to be a bit more aggressive or risk being destroyed early makes the games so much more exciting.

Good job Blizz!
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Null

Imo you should explain to people at least the general concepts of how units should be used, strengths and weaknesses. Having everything as a black box might be entertaining to watch on your end, but it does turn some people away.

I'm going to quote (or rather paraphrase) Dustin Browder on this one.

"We don't know how the pros are going to use the units we make, we can sort of make guesses but we are always surprised to see how the units we make are eventually used by people way better than us. What we try and do is think of cool concepts and ideas and then try and make them work, but its the pros that really do the real pioneering work and that's awesome for us to watch."
Reply Quote
Awesome Dayvie. Boostervacs are good for the game and are not unbeatable. Korean vs Korean they really weren't outrageous.
Reply Quote
Of course greedy people will always complain Opness if they lose to aggressive player, but I think that most of the greedy fast expand build that was the norm in WoL cannot work anymore in hots
Reply Quote

"We don't know how the pros are going to use the units we make, we can sort of make guesses but we are always surprised to see how the units we make are eventually used by people way better than us. What we try and do is think of cool concepts and ideas and then try and make them work, but its the pros that really do the real pioneering work and that's awesome for us to watch."

Blizzard have a general idea how units should be used. They shouldn't be afraid dedicated players will come up with improvements that will overshadow their demonstrations.
Reply Quote

Blizzard have a general idea how units should be used. They shouldn't be afraid dedicated players will come up with improvements that will overshadow their demonstrations.

Well they obviously have a general idea, that's why we have a game guide on battle.net.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/

My point with that is that Blizzard sometimes doesn't anticipate things happening in the pro scene the way they do.

Marine splitting for example caught them COMPLETELY by surprise and dramatically changed how they approached the game and its balance.
Edited by Vindicare on 3/18/2013 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

No, it's forcing passive play, so your base doesn't get reamed out by Medivac drops when you push out.
Reply Quote
So early aggression is HOTS??

No wonder I'm losing so much more now. :(
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:15 AMPosted by GroundZero
yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

No, it's forcing passive play, so your base doesn't get reamed out by Medivac drops when you push out.

LOL

When I'm building at base, lings en mass melt everything. Everything.

GG
Reply Quote
Huge Props to you Dayvie!! HOTS is infinitely more fun to play AND watch :D I'm glad that to hear that there won't be any knee jerk nerfs going on and that you guys are going to give ample time to figure things out.

All I will say about future balance changes is this: Please please please try buffing weaknesses before nerfing strengths. I don't want to see things that make the game fun to watch get castrated.

Great job to your and your team!
Reply Quote
LOL

When I'm building at base, lings en mass melt everything. Everything.

GG

You are bronze, therefore you probably expand too little too late, and with not enough support to keep that base running. Please don't base you opinions on balance from anything from your gameplay experience
Reply Quote
Good stuff Dayvie, thanks :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]