StarCraft® II

HotS thoughts

Zerg is pretty lackluster early/midgame when it comes to consistent aggression. Mutalisks and lings are pretty much the only things they have, and both can be SHUT DOWN brutally when spotted.

What if Blizz merged the drops & overlord speed upgrades?
What if Blizz the merged roach speed and burrow upgrades?
What if Blizz increased the speed of corruptors, lowered their health, and gave them the ability to 'corrupt' enemy air units(attach to them and deal light AoE, and they can be targeted, but it also kills the unit it attaches to)?
What if Blizz decreased the cost of nydus worms if they are placed ON creep?
Reply Quote
Thank you, I am happy you guys see things this way. #respect
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Null
- Nobody is close to figuring the game out yet.

Imo you should explain to people at least the general concepts of how units should be used, strengths and weaknesses. Having everything as a black box might be entertaining to watch on your end, but it does turn some people away.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous requests I’ve ever heard. It’s all there for you in the descriptions and even on Liquipedia. One of the more fun things about this game are discovery and exploration? Why would you want to be told how to do things by rote? Go forth. Be bold. Figure some things out and maybe even pioneer a tactic or two yourself.
Reply Quote
zerg have no harras options when ling counter attacks are stopped by walls and PF's, we need more exciting mobility like toss with recall and boostervac
Reply Quote
While watching was definitely fun watching Life vs Flash, watching Life play felt like watching wings of liberty, while trying to keep up with the Terran he was forced to play ling/bling/muta, and we really didnt get to see the Swarm Host, and Viper very much, seems like this units dont have the mobility to keep up with a fast paced, and aggressive Terran, any thoughts?
Reply Quote
Thanks, that MLG was one of the BEST SC2 tournaments I've ever watched!

There is an unending stream of QQs in the forums right now, but you musn't listen to that hogwash, stay strong! ;)
Reply Quote
I say leave the medivac ignite afterburners in the game - they are exciting and fun to watch. Just make them cost energy so there is some cost other than only a cooldown.
Reply Quote
You've this awesome potential in this thing called nydus, but right now it's currently very limited

You need a better imagination, any one of these would greatly change the unit:

- Cancel for free
- Be invisible without detection before spawning.
- No sound alert.
- Multiple worms at once.
- More health
- More units released at a time.
- Spawns creep over time.
- Spawns with a few broodlings
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Null

Imo you should explain to people at least the general concepts of how units should be used, strengths and weaknesses. Having everything as a black box might be entertaining to watch on your end, but it does turn some people away.

I think that they make these changes just to sort of see what happens instead of having perfect knowledge of what is suppose to happen.

I like the way its going. MLG was super fun to watch IMO.. That may be simply because I was there, but it was awesome.
Reply Quote
Thank you for finally realizing NR15 was killing eSports. This is why Starcraft viewership took at nose dive in 2012. I look forward to exciting HotS in 2013. :)
Reply Quote
Yes, please take your time with any nerfs. Not all of us are pros or can play Starcraft every day, so personally I'm still learning Widow Mines and the like. HotS has not even been out a week yet, so let's give it some time for things to settle down before we go swinging the nerfbat. Glad to see that seems to be y'all's position.
Reply Quote
SC2 is an absolute gem among modern games. Fantastic work from the Starcraft team!
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 10:04 AMPosted by Bobucles
? You've this awesome potential in this thing called nydus, but right now it's currently very limited
What sort of buff can the Nydus Network get? One option is to let air units use it, but that makes Broodlord/infestor even more powerful.

Zerg needs a lot of gas to get their heavy hitters on the field. Zerglings and Roaches are cheap on gas, but they're pretty fast. Fast units don't benefit much from a Nydus. The slow units that benefit most also annihilate your gas reserves. It's tough to find a nice fit.

the best idea I can come up with to improve zerg's attack possibilities in a reasonable way is:

Make Nydus Network require Hive, but reduce build time and increase HP of nydus worm, and fix it so you can cancel a constructing Nydus Worm (getting back a % of money).

Allow Overseers to drop once drop is researched. this allows for a faster drop unit, but costs more money for each one, as well as time.
Reply Quote
I really really like the campaign, and while I still use WoL strategies in multiplayer, I'm looking forward to not being a tool and exploring the game. You guys did a great job, thanks!
Reply Quote
Ok, I like this new direction. Ill buy the game. Dont nerf terran. Dont let me down.
Edited by CoDe on 3/18/2013 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Dayvie
- The super aggressive play is turning out to be really fun to watch

I agree. Which is why Overlord Ventral Sacs should be 150/150/90. That would cause fun.
Edited by VapidSlug on 3/18/2013 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Exactly what you guys need to do.

<3 <3 <3
Reply Quote
Just wanted to let you know that our design team is watching every major match carefully and will continue doing so.

Some things we're noticing are:

- The super aggressive play is turning out to be really fun to watch.

- A few players are really changing up their play and having completely different results than what's expected by the majority.

- Some of the initial balance concerns do seem to be continuing in games whereas the more creative players aren't struggling as much against them.

Some things we're thinking of going forward:

- We'll try our best to not be too quick to make judgments on things that are allowing players to play a much more aggressive game. For example, yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

- We'll continue watching all the pro and community concerns, but keep in mind we'd really like the game to settle before we step in and make a move.

I love this.

In the event that changes become necessary, please consider giving zerg and protoss buffs (Or Z and T or T and P) instead of nerfing the stronger race. Nerfs lead to staler gameplay (think ghost nerf), while buffs when done right can be really good and exciting to see.

(A buff done right is something like mvac speed. Done wrong would be queen buff. One is exciting and skill dependent, and the other is a blanket bonus that affects everyone. You don't need to be good to take advantage of it).
Reply Quote
I agree with Dayvie's sentiment, and just have to say that from around the RO8 and beyond, MLG came alive and was the most fun I've seen in a tournament in a long, long time. I wasn't super excited about HotS, but now my head is spinning with new ideas that I want to try. :D

You need a better imagination, any one of these would greatly change the unit:

- Cancel for free
- Be invisible without detection before spawning.
- No sound alert.
- Multiple worms at once.
- More health
- More units released at a time.
- Spawns creep over time.
- Spawns with a few broodlings

I think a lot of your ideas would be OP, but being able to cancel the worm seems like a good one. Even if it costs 25% to do so, it would still be far better than not being able to cancel at all. I think there should be some punishment for a spotted Nydus Worm, but right now it's a pretty high cost for failure... to the point that the pros rarely use it, and on ladder it's mostly an occasional cheese unit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]