StarCraft® II

Grad's Guide to Defending the Story

Blizzard fanboys, are you tired of all these literary critics attacking your favorite story? Just use the following all-purpose responses. They're free, and best of all, they don't require any brain cells.

Criticism: Underdog destroys vastly overpowered opponent because the story demands it.
Answer: You can tackle this one in several ways:
1) Just say that "it was a raid". Doesn't matter that you have vast armies clashing against each other, if it was a raid, then you can do anything.
2) Point to people who accomplished amazing things in real life, and use this as your excuse no matter how different the circumstances are.

Criticism: Character does a complete 180 and changes his motivations between SC1 & SC2, while losing several IQ points in the process.
Answer: No problem. Just use the all-purpose "it was 4 years" excuse. It's enough to justify anything.

Criticism: SC2 now features dragonball z fights, magical "essence" nonsense, and other crap that belongs in fantasy instead of sci-fi.
Answer: Just regurgitate that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Criticism: Numerous and blatant retcons.
Answer: Deny the existence of retcons.

Criticism: SC2 has any sort of flaw whatsoever.
Answer: Easy. Just mindlessly regurgitate that "Brood War did it too". Clearly, if flaws exist in Brood War, then that instantly invalidates any criticism you can level against Wings of Liberty. Make obtuse references to "nostalgia" as the reason for why nobody can look past all the plotholes and nonsequiturs of your favorite game. After all, no matter how bad the story gets, it can't be worse than Brood War.

Any questions? If so, read this:
http://sclegacy.com/editorials/7-reviews/1134-scl-reviews-wings-of-liberty
http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?15543-Gradius-s-HoTS-Story-Review
Edited by Gradius on 10/22/2013 6:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The OP is being sarcastic. The first few responses sound sincere, but the last is obviously mocking.
Answer: Easy. Just mindlessly regurgitate that "Brood War did it too". Clearly, if flaws exist in Brood War, then that instantly invalidates any criticism you can level against Wings of Liberty. Make obtuse references to "nostalgia" as the reason for why nobody can look past all the plotholes and nonsequiturs of your favorite game. After all, no matter how bad the story gets, it can't be worse than Brood War.

(Yes, I dislike sarcasm in text, and enjoy pulling the plug on it.)
Reply Quote
SC2 now features dragonball z fights, magical "essence" nonsense, and other crap that belongs in fantasy instead of sci-fi.

Mildchloreans, or whatever they were called.
Reply Quote
#1 Gameplay-story segregation, can't do that with SC? then get out.

#2 No, your right characters should constantly whine about some alien warrior whom they barely even knew.

#3 Who cares? Starcraft has campaign missions that aren't 100% "destroy the enemy base" oh no!

#4 Because it did. it's a fair comparison, most of these critics come from playing the original and having their nostalgia blind them.

Thinly veiled sarcasm, Thinly veiled sarcasm.
Reply Quote
Nothing gets past your guys' sarcasm detectors.

As for underdog defeating a more powerful opponent, what are you talking about? Kerrigan killing Zurvan? Kerrigan killing Narud? Just because Zurvan is larger than Kerrigan doesn't automatically make him more powerful. He's just a large beast, Kerrigan has psionic powers and zerg upgrades. As for her taking out Narud, Narud was weakened before she went to fight him. Also, he might not even be dead.

Was thinking of Raynor invading Korhal, beating Selendis, breaking open the most highly guarded prison in the sector, invading Char, etc. etc.

But if you want an example from this game, how about a single larvae destroying an entire protoss ship? I'm so glad that protoss are now the comic relief of SC2.
Reply Quote

But if you want an example from this game, how about a single larvae destroying an entire protoss ship? I'm so glad that protoss are now the comic relief of SC2.

Except, you know, that was the larva of a Broodmother, which is supposed to be the most powerful portions of the Zerg arsenal as showcased in Wings of Liberty. But that would just be a Blizzard fanboy justification.
Reply Quote

Except, you know, that was the larva of a Broodmother, which is supposed to be the most powerful portions of the Zerg arsenal as showcased in Wings of Liberty. But that would just be a Blizzard fanboy justification.

Unfortunately all Zerg come from the same larvae. A zerg larva can produce any creature within the zerg arsenal; be it zergling, ultralisk, or broodmother.
Edited by SkullBoy on 3/19/2013 9:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh good, almighty Gradius has come to save the day and tell us what we should think, and remind us that liking a Blizzard game makes you a fanboy.

You are our messiah.
Reply Quote
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Dragonball Z fight? I've seen the campaign compared to it quite a bit on the forums and I know it's a cartoon but I am not getting the connection.
Reply Quote
Pardon my ignorance but what is a Dragonball Z fight? I've seen the campaign compared to it quite a bit on the forums and I know it's a cartoon but I am not getting the connection.

There isn't a connection. Its just something the cool kids like to say because they want to be insulting.

They're referring to the last Narud mission though, for what its worth.
Reply Quote
Blizzard fanboys, are you tired of all these literary critics attacking your favorite story? Just use the following all-purpose responses. They're free, and best of all, they don't require any brain cells.

Criticism: Underdog destroys vastly overpowered opponent because the story demands it.
1) Just say that "it was a raid". Doesn't matter that you have vast armies clashing against each other, if it was a raid, then you can do anything.
2) Point to people who accomplished amazing things in real life, and use this as your excuse no matter how different the circumstances are.

Criticism: Character does a complete 180 and changes his motivations between SC1 & SC2, while losing several IQ points in the process.
Answer: No problem. Just use the all-purpose "it was 4 years" excuse. It's enough to justify anything.

Criticism: SC2 now features dragonball z fights, magical "essence" nonsense, and other crap that belongs in fantasy instead of sci-fi.
Answer: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Any questions?

Yes, tell us how to defend something we like. I'm just basking in all your campaign knowledge. You're so knowledgeable, in all of your haven't-completed-either-campaign wisdom.
Reply Quote

Answer: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Any questions?

The same can be done for SC1 ;)
Reply Quote
Criticism: numerous blatant retcons.
Answer: deny the existence of the retcons.
Reply Quote
It's funny how the third answer is the right answer, despite the sad attempt at sarcasm. It's also funny how people went through all of SC1, Brood War, and WoL and were just fine with zerg assimilating DNA, picking out the useful traits, and incorporating them across the Swarm instantly. But when HotS decides to call it essence, and actually shows it happening on screen, suddenly it's magic and fantasy and doesn't belong in a sci fi game.

You must be new to blizzard games. All stories evolve over time, especially over 15 years.
Edited by Sumelar on 3/20/2013 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Form Wol to HOTS there is little if any retcons. BW is more than 15 years old, Some changes are expected and needed.

I played bw religiously but didn't notice any over the top retcons. Not that some retcons should matter in a good story .
Reply Quote
magical "essence" nonsense

Nonsense eh? Have you read the story about the Zerg in the SC Booklet that shipped original game in '98?

Where did Raynor invade Korhal? Deploying a stealth base (for the sake of gameplay) and hijacking a Dominion vehicle is hardly an invasion.

As for the New Folsom mission, several nukes and heavy firepower was used so why wouldn't it be possible?
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:20 PMPosted by Chorn
Oh good, almighty Gradius has come to save the day and tell us what we should think, and remind us that liking a Blizzard game makes you a fanboy.

Liking the game doesn't make you a fanboy, denying any and all criticisms or using the "BW did it too" fallacy makes you a fanboy.

Good one. I'll add it to the OP.

It's funny how the third answer is the right answer, despite the sad attempt at sarcasm. It's also funny how people went through all of SC1, Brood War, and WoL and were just fine with zerg assimilating DNA, picking out the useful traits, and incorporating them across the Swarm instantly. But when HotS decides to call it essence, and actually shows it happening on screen, suddenly it's magic and fantasy and doesn't belong in a sci fi game.

What.

Where were we assimilating DNA in SC & BW? We infested kerrigan, some command centers, and that was it. You guys should start entertaining the fact that you didn't like SC & BW because you weren't paying attention. But if you want to compare the games anyway, then let's take a look:

SC1: According to the manual, the zerg larvae burrowed into their hosts spinal cord and hijacked their biological processes, assimilating them into the swarm over several generations. Believable.

SC2: Kerrigan absorbs magical pixie dust from an opponent after she defeats him. Juvenile bull$hit.

SC1: The Overmind jumps through a bunch of hoops to infest Kerrigan, incubating her in a chrysalis over several missions. This millenia-old geneticist calls Kerrigan his "greatest creation" implying that he actually did a lot of work sequencing, replicating and synthesizing DNA strands.

SC2: Some magical cesspool on Zerus is capable of doing the same exact thing only way better. Juvenile bull$hit.

No wonder the Overmind failed to assimilate the protoss. He didn't have access to a god-damn magical swamp! This is insulting to the thinking mind, and I think we all know it.

03/20/2013 03:44 AMPosted by Invader
Where did Raynor invade Korhal? Deploying a stealth base (for the sake of gameplay) and hijacking a Dominion vehicle is hardly an invasion.

How did he get past the orbital defense? Kerrigan and the combined might of the swarm has to spend an entire mission doing that. Sorry, but Raynor's Thors fighting Mengsk's battlecruisers is not a raid. And you don't get to use the "gameplay & story segregation" cop-out when these units and their bases are explicitly mentioned & shown in the mission's dialog & cinematics.

Yes, tell us how to defend something we like. I'm just basking in all your campaign knowledge. You're so knowledgeable, in all of your haven't-completed-either-campaign wisdom.

Since it's inconceivable that I have another account: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/420733/1/Gradius/

The same can be done for SC1 ;)

If I say that SC & BW were the worst games in the universe, will you guys finally start applying logic & critical thinking to your arguments?
Edited by Gradius on 3/20/2013 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If I say that SC & BW were the worst games in the universe, will you guys finally start applying logic & critical thinking to your arguments?

See the problem in all of the logic I've seen so far with the anti-SC2 story group is that they suffer from a serious case of nostalgia filter.

I however will not use that as evidence that Sc2's story is amazing, but for those of you who think SC1 is ANY different you are only deluding yourself.

They are cut from the same cloth, baring some minor differences they are the same narratively. The only key difference is that each faction has more missions and by proxy more time under the spot light now.

My opinion? Both SC1 and SC2 are amazing stories...for an RTS. Compared to actual story driven games like Mass Effect of course it falls short. For an RTS however it is a solid 10 and quite frankly beneath the comments of a few butthurt fans too deluded to realize that they have a company that actually WANTS to tell you a decent story instead of give you a four hour campaign of nothing but explosions like CoD or Gears.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]