StarCraft® II

Widow Mine Solutions

I am very torn about this unit... Its so strong its not even funny and I cant really pinpoint the exact way to help fix this Here are some solutions.

-Remove the ability to hit air all together (Should have been done in beta but w/e)
-Increase build time
-Increase Mineral usage AND Gas

However I am torn about its damage output... I mean 1 blast does 125?! This means a Roach is damn near dead, a stalkers is no where to be seen not that I care, although, poor roach >_< So you get the picture I am just a WoL Plat Terran so all of these suggestions are probably terrible...
Reply Quote
I think that nerfing the radius a bit will be OK. It punishes Zerg a little too hard when an entire pack of lings can be wiped out with a single mine. I just hope it doesn't make it too weak against Protoss. However, I also think that the drilling claws upgrade should bring the splash radius back up to where it is now. At Armory level, Zerg should be in a position to deal with more powerful mines.
Reply Quote
if your aimless sending your units across the map or dont change to the WM you deserve to lose your units. it has a 40sec CD. i always send a scout unit ahead of my main army and if it blows up randomly i get detection if i dont already have it. plus if you see your enemy actively producing WM you should be happy since their main army will likely be weaker than yours.
Reply Quote
I too think that it should be given more time.

I'm seeing even the zergs I play against, always send 1 ling ahead to mine sweep.
Reply Quote
You really should use the unit sparingly... It's basically the supply of 4 banelings and it really is detrimental to your army with it's supply hog value.. Course if your in diamond and below you can get away and troll around with mass WM just to piss people off and get people in forums to qq for nerfs :P.
Reply Quote
Oh whats wrong with that? Their fire rate is slow. Just do the usual cheese mass banelings strat and win!@!@!
Reply Quote
They put a heavy strain on supply with ONLY burst damage, design wise I think it is balanced with the proper mechanics (I admire it like I do the Ultras size in how it negates siege tank splash damage) however, we will see in time if it is enough.

Little early to make changes I think.
Reply Quote
or remove it like they removed the only mech unit i was looking forward to

just keeding! for those super srs hardcore gamerz who are dreaming about going pro in sc2 one day. calm your !@#$ plox
Edited by SuperHero on 3/15/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I didn't try to start arguments. I just don't want the WM turn like the poor Warhound did...
Reply Quote
I think widow mines are fine as they are, they punish people for being careless, and on the other side of things they crush a terrans soul when they hit a single ling and become useless for the rest of the fight.

It was no different in BW with the Lurker, they could wipe out an entire army if you just a moved into them without detection, except they had even more range and couldn't be made irrelevant with a single scouting marine.
Edited by Solo on 3/16/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's a solution. Make it one-time use. It's a mine, they're supposed to blow up. It already does four times as much damage as a baneling (to air and ground) for the same price.
Reply Quote
I think widow mines are fine as they are, they punish people for being careless, and on the other side of things they crush a terrans soul when they hit a single ling and become useless for the rest of the fight.

It was no different in BW with the Lurker, they could wipe out an entire army if you just a moved into them without detection, except they had even more range and couldn't be made irrelevant with a single scouting marine.

This. So much this.
Reply Quote
They emphasis more scouting and punish people for using balls of death with no observer.

Widow mines are fine, what makes them seem OP is because medivacs + kiting into widow mines (due to medivacs being so fast) is what is breaking the game. If medivacs werent so broken atm, widow mines wouldnt appear to be broken.
Reply Quote
Here's a solution. Make it one-time use. It's a mine, they're supposed to blow up. It already does four times as much damage as a baneling (to air and ground) for the same price.

That's how the widow mine was originally designed. It was terrible. Also, banelings cost 1/4 the supply, you can choose when to detonate them, you don't have to burrow them to do damage, and they don't do friendly fire like WM.
Reply Quote
I think the cool down is too long. I don't feel like it is OP at all. Yeah it does a lot of damage but it sucks when you only hit one thing. Terran kinda got screwed with HOTS.
Reply Quote
I think the cool down is too long. I don't feel like it is OP at all. Yeah it does a lot of damage but it sucks when you only hit one thing. Terran kinda got screwed with HOTS.

Well, maybe when LotV comes around things will get better, unfortunately, we get to wait another 3 years... I doubt we get anything helpful or a unit that is actually useful during this expansion.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 07:04 PMPosted by Dethklok

Well, maybe when LotV comes around things will get better, unfortunately, we get to wait another 3 years... I doubt we get anything helpful or a unit that is actually useful during this expansion.

You should keep practicing playing... Hellbat is extremely useful late game verse toss zealots and buffering and verse upcoming ling/bling plays.. Not sure how that unit in it's entirety is useless.
Reply Quote
After MLG, I hereby official take back my comments about nerfing Mine radius. They're fine, carry on.
Reply Quote
Yes hellbats are amazing and I use them a lot. Most of the changes went to other units. Such as no longer having to research siege mode and reapers being easier to get. Really disappointed that they took out warhounds. I really wanted to try them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]