StarCraft® II

How do you do a Reaper rush?

So I'm liking the changes to Reapers in HotS, but having trouble executing a good Reaper rush. How would someone more pro handle it? Should I reactor my first barracks? Should I just start building reapers, build a 2nd barracks and reactor that? Should I try to get the lvl 1 wep upgrade before my rush? What about defenses for my base, is it smart to go all Reapers or should I build some marines and/or widow mines before I move them out?

Most importantly, how many Reapers do you need for a good rush? At only 4 damage (and without their bonus to light anymore) they don't exactly one-shot workers and the maps are small enough that the enemy can scramble units from their ramp back to the mineral line. So, basically, any and all tips would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply Quote
From what I've seen so far they aren't very good for rushing at all. You can maybe pick off one or two workers if you're really adamant early game but I see them as more of a scouting unit than anything.
Reply Quote
I tried reaper Fe/rush in a placement match. Bad Idea!! It's a good idea if you can macro and micro the reaper @ the same time. You're in bronze(from your profile), just like I was, so it might not be a good idea. But hey, if you can do it, you should be fine. For early game, after you get your barracks, you should get 2-3 reapers to try to deal damage.
Reply Quote
I tried reaper Fe/rush in a placement match. Bad Idea!! It's a good idea if you can macro and micro the reaper @ the same time. You're in bronze(from your profile), just like I was, so it might not be a good idea. But hey, if you can do it, you should be fine. For early game, after you get your barracks, you should get 2-3 reapers to try to deal damage.

My issue is I don't seem to be able to kill many workers with 2-3 reapers and they just start sending their army at me. Which means I have to run away.

As for the macro and micro, eh, it depends. I key my production and CC to hotkeys so that is fine, I can keep building an army and SCVs. I can't really build new buildings and micro the reapers at the same time. I guess there are people who can do that? Of course there are, right? -_-
Edited by HeyZeus on 3/14/2013 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is my opening for Reaper play:

10 Supply
12 Barracks
13 Refinery
14 Barracks

Rally those Reapers! When you have enough money to produce 2 reapers at a time, 1 scv at a time, and a CC... throw down the new CC in your base/transition into Bio or Mech.

I can post replays if interested.
Reply Quote

10 Supply
12 Barracks
13 Refinery
14 Barracks

Rally those Reapers! When you have enough money to produce 2 reapers at a time, 1 scv at a time, and a CC... throw down the new CC in your base/transition into Bio or Mech.

Sweet. :-D Heh, I didn't even think about building a 2nd Barracks so early, I usually build a Refinery then finish my wall-off. That is some good thinking. Do you reactor that 2nd Barracks right away or wait on that? A replay would be nice, I'm curious to see it in action. Thanks!
Reply Quote

10 Supply
12 Barracks
13 Refinery
14 Barracks

I'm interested, if you can post 3 for each race?

Thanks
Reply Quote
Reapers have 2 attacks so they deal 8 damage not just 4.
Reply Quote
Just reapers is dead pretty much and not rly viable unless you outclass opponent.

If you want to do early rush with reapers do reapers + proxy factory for widow mines. Use reapers to do hit and run attacks baiting enemy forces into your mines that you burrow at or around ramp of enemy base.
Reply Quote

10 Supply
12 Barracks
13 Refinery
14 Barracks

^ Ya, that.

I also proxy as far up his !@# as I can.
Reply Quote
Just reapers is dead pretty much and not rly viable unless you outclass opponent.

If you want to do early rush with reapers do reapers + proxy factory for widow mines. Use reapers to do hit and run attacks baiting enemy forces into your mines that you burrow at or around ramp of enemy base.

Well that's a good idea too and I'm just trying to get ideas for the strategy. The unit is there and clearly Blizzard would like us to use it (thus all the changes) and personally, I'd like to learn how to use it rather then just constantly relying on the MMM deathball.

Seems to me you have to use it early though or else it is useless. The minute they put up any kind of defenses by the mineral line, your Reapers are negated.

Thanks for the tip, I will be giving this a shot! If nothing else it sounds like it will drive your opponent crazy.
Reply Quote
Bump for replays
Reply Quote
In TvT, consider this as well if you want optimal early timing of the Reapers as well as a quick CC and scouting:

10 Depot
11 Rax
11 Gas
14 OC

Build Reapers continuously to at least 2 (rally successive Reapers to the first one and use it to poke around the opponent's main), maybe 3 depending on the quality of his defense, and go for a CC @ your nat around 19-20 supply, followed up with Factory into Starport for Hellion/Widow Mine defense and pressure. You can even squeeze in a Reactor on the Rax after you've finished getting Reapers and transition into either bio or mech from there.

11 Rax-11 Gas is a very fast Reaper which doesn't cut your economy in the way 8-8-8 does, which almost always allows full scouts of the opponent's base (unless he also went 11 Rax-11 Gas, but you will instantly know as you arrive and see his base or Reaper defense).
Reply Quote
Same here. I'm trying really hard to make widow mines and reapers work vs Zerg and it just isnt happening. I can do a bit of damage to lings/drones maybe even a queen or two. But by time i finally lose my reapers. Or I pull back. All hes done is droned the whole time. And has made 70+ workers on 2 bases 3rd coming. And im poorly staurated on two. With tech barelyo n the way.

I end up losing from a simple a move. Because two widow mines only does so much to a pack of roaches.

bump for replays.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I need to see a replay of early Reaper pushing because 2-3 Reapers just really does not seem to do much besides tick them off, and let them know I have Reapers so they can start crafting a defense to stop my Reapers.

Thanks for the tips Jazzman, I'll keep playing around with the new Reapers. I'm only Silver, so I'm sure there's a lot that I'm missing :)
Reply Quote
Woah, totally forgot about this thread. I shall post replays when I get home from work!
Reply Quote
reapers are for scouting =/ unless your doing a 11/11

which flash is really good at but other then that its for intel IMO =/

maybe take out few workers =/
Edited by iChobo on 3/18/2013 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.twitch.tv/infinitisc2/b/378567329

48:30 - 1:00:57 TvZ
1:16:35 - 1:33:59 TvZ against Nasreth (common forum poster)

http://drop.sc/311192 TvP (I go all in this game)
http://drop.sc/311193 TvT
http://drop.sc/311194 TvP
Reply Quote
http://www.twitch.tv/infinitisc2/b/378567329

48:30 - 1:00:57 TvZ
1:16:35 - 1:33:59 TvZ against Nasreth (common forum poster)

http://drop.sc/311192 TvP (I go all in this game)
http://drop.sc/311193 TvT
http://drop.sc/311194 TvP

Thanks!
Reply Quote
please don't?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]