StarCraft® II

(Spoiler) Something wrong with the ending...

We fight a !@#$ load of Zerg in WoL using the Xel'Naga Artefac to wipe out wave of zerg. And Mensk have it in is office and he does'nt use it once to destroy the Zerg invasion.

Please explain it to me....
Reply Quote
Hes a psychopath... he doesn't care about anyone except himself. He probably wanted to see it for himself when he killed the Queen of Blades.
Reply Quote
Probably, It is the more plausible explaination. And by killing the queen, destroying the zerg invasion. Thinking that the swarm is still controlled by only one mind.

Still, a stupid risk that caused is death....
Reply Quote
If he'd powered up the artifact enough to destroy entire waves of Zerg, Kerrigan would've known he had it and not gotten close enough.

I guess!
Reply Quote
Hes a psychopath... he doesn't care about anyone except himself. He probably wanted to see it for himself when he killed the Queen of Blades.

This.

And also this:

In WoL they state outright that charging the artifact sends the zerg into a frenzy, and is easily detectable by people with Psionic powers. If he had tried charging it to take on the swarm in it's entirety, Kerrigan would have known, and stayed far away from the building, and figured out a way around it.
Reply Quote
Didn't you see the leaked ending?

The artifact being there was something they added later due some changes they made into the story half way into development.
Reply Quote
It is clear why Mengsk let Kerrigan fight her way up to his office - he would kill her and the swarm would instantly retreat. It was the perfect plan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely kept some of his army out of the battle in anticipation of Kerrigan's arrival, so they could immediately stage a counterattack once she was dead in his trap.

But if he accurately anticipated Kerrigan's arrival, why didn't he anticipate Raynor's arrival? Why did he let Raynor sneak up on him? It seems totally un-Mengsk-like to be caught off guard like that.
Reply Quote
It seems totally un-Mengsk-like to be caught off guard like that.

Quite the contrary. He didn't anticipated Raynor's defection in SC1 nor Kerrigan's betrayal in BW.

The guy had the bad habit of letting his judgement getting clouded by his pride and arrogance.
Reply Quote
Didn't you see the leaked ending?

The artifact being there was something they added later due some changes they made into the story half way into development.

I just went and found it now.

They really should've changed Mengsk's dialog. The "keep an animal like you close to me" line makes no sense in the new version with the artifact. How hard would it have been to change the word "keep" to "let"?? Sheesh. Or just rewrite a few lines? At least now I know why the line was a mess. When I watched the ending before, I just thought it was bad writing.
Reply Quote
Quite the contrary. He didn't anticipated Raynor's defection in SC1 nor Kerrigan's betrayal in BW.

The guy had the bad habit of letting his judgement getting clouded by his pride and arrogance.

But I'm not talking about Mengsk failing to suspect a betrayal. I'm talking about him failing to anticipate someone arriving in a room when he had been watching this person's movements on the battlefield for hours. It is possible that Mengsk's security cameras were disabled, leading to the static on the screens, but that still doesn't excuse him for simply losing track of Jim Raynor's whereabouts. Since Kerrigan had obviously already cleared the building, he had to know that Raynor would be coming up the stairs as well - yet he acted like he was completely alone with Kerrigan.
Edited by Torloch on 3/18/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Maybe he just didn't expect to get out of this alive and simply hoped to at least kill his nemesis. After all, Kerrigan had destroyed most of his forces and his only child Valerian had turned on him.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 3/18/2013 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I think it is possible that he expected to get out alive. He assumed that killing Kerrigan would instantly stop the invasion. And he would have been right - Kerrigan gave Zagara orders to pull out should she die.

So Mengsk knew what he was doing. The only thing that bothers me is that he just completely left Jim Raynor out of the plan - he had no contingency plan for dealing with non-zerg intruders, even though he knew Raynor was there.
Reply Quote
We fight a !@#$ load of Zerg in WoL using the Xel'Naga Artefac to wipe out wave of zerg. And Mensk have it in is office and he does'nt use it once to destroy the Zerg invasion.

It's called letting all his people die, then he'll use it, and claim the glory of beating the Zerg all for himself...
Reply Quote
if i was him i do a better job and if i was his son i wouldent of sided with her
Edited by geko on 3/19/2013 3:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Because Blizzard made him into a complete dumb!@#$ in HOTS with easily destroyed schemes with no common sense or intelligence. The fact he didn't just use the artifact to kill the entire zerg invasion force was insulting. When I saw the artifact in the single cutscene I cringed at what epic plotline twist could take place and imagined a bunch of possibilities... the most prominent being destroying the zerg attackers, forcing Raynor to flee at the unified remnants of the Dominion Defences crashing down at him. Zagara takes what's left of the swarm(assuming Kerrigan is dead) and flee herself... leading to LOTV being Zeratul rallying as much protoss as he can to Martyr themselves to try and stop Amon(probably with some massive joint psionic attack) since Kerrigan is gone(the artifact destroys zerg DNA, read below).

But alas they made him into a paperthin enemy to be curbstomped by an irrational "I wouldn't even call a women anymore"(since according to abathor she is 100% zerg DNA now from the Zeras transformation, whereas the previous zerg form was just an aggressive parasitic infection with some "good" side effects)...

The whole idea of him having the artifact in the first place is pointless in otherwords. They gave it to him as some stupid, contradictory twist that was never needed. If he didn't have it in the first place it would have made alot more sense. Also if he used it the way it should have been used(since it has apparently gained the power to use "the force lightning" on the press of a button) it would have graped the entirety of the storyline with common sense.
Edited by JebusKreist on 3/20/2013 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 01:58 PMPosted by JebusKreist
The fact he didn't just use the artifact to kill the entire zerg invasion force was insulting.

Though powerful, the Artifact wouldn't do a planet wide sweep I don't believe. There are plot holes however. That being the Artifact isn't fully explained. Was it damaged lowering it's field of effectiveness even further? Would it only be deadly to the QoB at close range? (Which would be why Mengsk would have waited for her to enter his office.)
Reply Quote
I just think the Artifact isn't fully explained yet. Maybe it just work's on creatures which were corrupted by the "fallen one" or something.
We know it cleaned Kerrigan from the corruption of the Zerg and the corruption of Amon. Since the Zerg were corrupted by Amon anyway, the energy of the Artefact had to wipe out the Zerg- corruption.

I think that Amon is a minion of "The Entity" aka "The voice in the darkness", so maybe the Xel Naga build that artefact to destroy their enemy.
Reply Quote
Also if you pay attention the first time you see the artifact in HotS (reborn cinematic) you can see that it was somewhat damaged, which may have impared its ability to charge properly.
Edited by ForeRunner on 3/20/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It is clear why Mengsk let Kerrigan fight her way up to his office - he would kill her and the swarm would instantly retreat. It was the perfect plan. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely kept some of his army out of the battle in anticipation of Kerrigan's arrival, so they could immediately stage a counterattack once she was dead in his trap.

But if he accurately anticipated Kerrigan's arrival, why didn't he anticipate Raynor's arrival? Why did he let Raynor sneak up on him? It seems totally un-Mengsk-like to be caught off guard like that.

It was a perfect "stalling plan", not really going to accomplish much other than that.
Reply Quote
In WoL they state outright that charging the artifact sends the zerg into a frenzy, and is easily detectable by people with Psionic powers. If he had tried charging it to take on the swarm in it's entirety, Kerrigan would have known, and stayed far away from the building, and figured out a way around it.

Very good point that no one has mentioned before. If the artifact was fully charged she would be able to sense it most likely.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]