StarCraft® II

Blizz,Please add back Swarm cutscene models!

Well, now I have played though the Swarm campain.

But in the progress, I found that most of the in-game cutscenes are not really 'rendered in-game'.

They are actually ogv movies which blizzard recorded from 'real' in-game cutscenes.

I'm fine with that, because this can make low-quality computers still see great graphics.

But can you please still include these models into the game mpq?

Really, as a map maker, the Swarm is just a assets lib to me.

When I saw the 'vengeance' trailer, I had decided to buy the swarm just for the the high-res dominion ghost, the umoja lab and the red-hair kerrigan(narud) models.

But when I got a hand on the new expansion, I found that most of the in-game cutscene models doesn't even exist in the mpq. Which is a very sad fact.

The cutscene editor is a great tool, but it can do little if we have not enough high-res models. We have startools beta now, yes. But custom models cosume much of the map storage rooms, let along not every model makers are as great as the blizzard ones.

Come on, blizzard. Add back the in-game cutscene model into the Campaign Mod please. The client is already that big(like 13gig), it won't hurt if you add 100M or so contents into it.
Edited by Renee on 3/15/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
Hi Renee,

All in-game cutscene assets (models and cutscene files) can be found in the SwarmStory MPQ. This includes all high-res Story Mode characters, sets, and anything you can interact with in Story Mode.

The only assets that were not included are those used in pre-rendered cinematics only. This would include things like Kerrigan's holding cell from the first cinematic. I'll start a discussion about including some of these assets as optional downloads, but they are actually far larger than 100 MB and were only built for Ultra game settings since they were pre-rendered. Hopefully you'll find most of what you're looking for in the SwarmStory MPQ.
Reply Quote
Thank you, Artestru. I would be very happy if I can find them in SwarmStory .

But what you said just indicated one sad fact:

Your engineers forgot to push the model you said into the retail client... :(

Perhaps they are indeed included in the dev client.

But here is the file list of my client's "StarCraft II\Campaigns\SwarmStory.SC2Campaign\Base.SC2Assets" archive.

(too long, can't be pasted on the post, so I put it into a txt)
Link:
http://wiki.islga.org/docs/Base.SC2Assets.txt

There is 0 m3 files in it....

And I also found the cutscene files (Zerg01.SC2Cutscene->Zerg10.SC2Cutscene).

I opened them in the Cutscene Editor and they are all spheres, I can hear speech sounds in it, but nothing more (I included SwarmStory Mod when I was browsing these files)

So If all the high-res characters and sets are supposed to be in the SwarmStory Mod, they must have been forgotten to be added.

Hope there would be a patch to fix this soon.....
Edited by Renee on 3/15/2013 12:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/14/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Artestru
The only assets that were not included are those used in pre-rendered cinematics only.

Yeah....Some things in those are what we're after....NarudKerrigan for example we could use for Sarah Kerrigan Pre-Infestation in a lot of works.....

It appears to be there but it doesn't render in the cutscene editor, So the textures must not have been included......
Edited by Quirriff on 3/15/2013 12:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The only assets that were not included are those used in pre-rendered cinematics only.

Yeah....Some things in those are what we're after....NarudKerrigan for example we could use for Sarah Kerrigan Pre-Infestation in a lot of works.....

It appears to be there but it doesn't render in the cutscene editor, So the textures must not have been included......

it doesn't render because it doesn't exist. I also found that Kerrigan vs Narud "Zerg09.SC2Cutscene" file, but all models it referenced to are not exist.

As the red-hair Kerrigan part, it use the file link:

Assets\StoryModeCharacters\Zerg\SMX1_NarudKerrigan\SMX1_NarudKerrigan.m3

But there is no such file in our client's MPQ archive, neither in the Swarm Campaign Mod nor in the Swarm Campaign Story.

From Artestru's post. I think these m3 are supposed to be in the Campaigns\SwarmStory.SC2Campaign\Base.SC2Assets.

But in the retail client, there is 0 m3 file in it. So they must forget to add them.
Edited by Renee on 3/15/2013 1:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Artestru, could you keep us updated on that discussion on having the cutscene models included as an optional DL even if nothing comes of it? Thanks.
Edited by Quirriff on 3/15/2013 1:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
Renee, try this:

Add the Swarm Story dependency to a map then open up the Cutscene Editor. In the left-hand scene list pane, expand the Dependency Files folder then right-click any cutscene there (except Zerg01-Zerg10).

The cutscene should then be loaded. Hit D to view through the Director Camera to play it back. All those assets you see are available for use. This includes the Leviathan, all Story Mode sets, all Story Mode characters, models such as the high res evolution units, etc. These same models can be found in the Library above (try "SMX1 Kerrigan Infested With Light").

Keep in mind that Dependency File cutscenes are always locked. If you want to create a new cutscene based off an existing one, create a new cutscene (File->New Cutscene) then right-click the cutscene you want to base it off of and choose Import Cutscene. Select the nodes you want (or the root for all nodes) and click Import. They will be imported as locked since that's how they are in the source file, but you will then be able to unlock them.

Let me know if this works for you.
Reply Quote
Renee, try this:

Add the Swarm Story dependency to a map then open up the Cutscene Editor. In the left-hand scene list pane, expand the Dependency Files folder then right-click any cutscene there (except Zerg01-Zerg10).

The cutscene should then be loaded. Hit D to view through the Director Camera to play it back. All those assets you see are available for use. This includes the Leviathan, all Story Mode sets, all Story Mode characters, models such as the high res evolution units, etc. These same models can be found in the Library above (try "SMX1 Kerrigan Infested With Light").

Keep in mind that Dependency File cutscenes are always locked. If you want to create a new cutscene based off an existing one, create a new cutscene (File->New Cutscene) then right-click the cutscene you want to base it off of and choose Import Cutscene. Select the nodes you want (or the root for all nodes) and click Import. They will be imported as locked since that's how they are in the source file, but you will then be able to unlock them.

Let me know if this works for you.

Well, thank you Artestru. But that's exactly what I did before I started this whole thread....

here is the screenshot of my map dependencies:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/media/attachments/36/862/1.jpg

Here is what I got when I watch Zerg01(and 02-09) cutscene. All I got are spheres...
http://www.sc2mapster.com/media/attachments/36/863/2.jpg

I also re-downloaded the story assets archive (SwarmStory.SC2Campaign\Base.SC2Assets) from this link:

http://llnw.blizzard.com/sc2-pod-retail/AF11CD00/NA/24621.direct/Campaigns/SwarmStory.SC2Campaign/Base.SC2Assets

It seems there is still no m3 file in the redownloaded archive though :(

Perhaps you can also download this file and help check the inside?(The size is 103M, judged from the size I can already say things not right - if it is supposed to include cutscene models)
Edited by Renee on 3/15/2013 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
As I mentioned, choose any cutscene EXCEPT Zerg01 - Zerg10. Those are pre-rendered and the models are not included in the MPQ for various reasons. The models found in all the other cutscenes are available for use.

For example, in your screenshot I see zDebrief_Zerus02. If you activate that cutscene, it should work.

We'll see about getting the models from Zerg01 - Zerg10 to you in some way, but I can't make any promises on that. That said, all models found in all of Story Mode (other than the pre-rendered videos) are still available.
Reply Quote
As I mentioned, choose any cutscene EXCEPT Zerg01 - Zerg10. Those are pre-rendered and the models are not included in the MPQ for various reasons. The models found in all the other cutscenes are available for use.

For example, in your screenshot I see zDebrief_Zerus02. If you activate that cutscene, it should work.

We'll see about getting the models from Zerg01 - Zerg10 to you in some way, but I can't make any promises on that. That said, all models found in all of Story Mode (other than the pre-rendered videos) are still available.

WoW, I overlooked the word EXCEPT. (So the situation is just as what I said in OP... )

Well, I've no other questions then. I think if the whole assests is too big, perhaps we can start from add a Narudkerrigan and a Dominion ghost.

Thank you Artestru.
Edited by Renee on 3/15/2013 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Artestru! Please make the red-haired kerrigan (narud), dominion ghosts, and primal zergs available for download. WoL had all the models since the cutscenes (except the 4 high quality pre-rendered cinematics) are rendered in-game. I understand making them as ogv files because they look more complicated than WoL's in-game cutscenes, but it'd be awesome to have those models.
Reply Quote
So were we going to get these or is it still being discussed?
Reply Quote
So were we going to get these or is it still being discussed?
Reply Quote
Hey, It'd be cool if the story cinematic videos would show in game strategies. Like Marines splitting against baelings, fungel growth on marines, or vikings countering collossus. Maybe do this for the next expansion?
Reply Quote
I'm just added my name so it shows up in my forum posts lists.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]