StarCraft® II

WOL or HOTS which campaign is better?

I believe the Hots campaign had many great elements but the WOL was a lot more interactive with the mini games, mercenaries, choices, and more characters to talk with. It also had a secret mission..and cmon everyone loves secret missions. I just wish they also used those elements in HOTS and it woulda been a perfect campaign. Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
Eh, yeah I can get behind that. Would have been nice to have a secret mission that builds up Amon's return some more or some mini games. On the other hand you had the interactivity of being able to customize your Zerg's abilities mission to mission, which was a fun touch.
Reply Quote
I liked HotS more. Something about unlimited free banelings that split into moar banelings and heal your own troops, combined with unlimited free zerglings with near-unlimited damage, and Ultralisks that respawn without having to be bought made crushing mengsk skull with an explosion of psionic energy that much more satisfying.

The only thing I didn't like was a lack of being able to use ANY other races units. I mean come on! At least give us control of jimmy's base when assaulting the imperial palace!
Edited by TheGame on 3/13/2013 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah a secret mission showing us more information on Amon woulda been perfect. The zerg abilities missions were ok..its that they were so short you could finish them in 2-3 minutes. The campaign I feel was definitely much easier then WOL. Also using other races woulda been nice similar to the protoss crystal in WOL. But I really enjoyed the fights with the primals and the boss zerg at the end to me that was the best part of the campaign.
Reply Quote
I found HotS's campaign to more fun, and much less cringe worthy with the dialogue then WoL.
Reply Quote
HoTS wins by a long way....right up until the last mission. Then it falls flat and the story line is predictable and rubbish.
Reply Quote
Yeah I liked HoTS better, units were more fun the missions were creative and holy -damn- the missions with the infested Terrans overrunning places with sheer numbers were a thrill.
Reply Quote
WOL imo was better. The ending wasn't horse !@#$.

LOL the evo missions pissed the %^-* out of me cause they were so stupidly time consumingly easy.
Reply Quote
Yeah I liked HoTS better, units were more fun the missions were creative and holy -damn- the missions with the infested Terrans overrunning places with sheer numbers were a thrill.

It was like reverse-outbreak. Instead of clearing the infestation when the infested would die, you are causing the infestation and protecting it when the infested would die :D
Reply Quote
I can at least agree that battlenet is a TON better..but I really miss the choices like in WOL between tosh or nova; or in the last mission to kill the air defense or ground defense; I like having the ability to change the campaign even if it is by a little. The linear campaign wasn't so appealing.
Reply Quote
The WOL campaign was far more interesting than HOTS. Even though there was some pretty obvious foreshadowing in regards to a certain double cross..... I still found it to be quite entertaining. The branching story missions, will i help Nova? Will I help Tosh? What do I do?

I didn't find any part of HOTS interesting and no choices I made had any real consequences in regards to the missions I was playing. And to be honest, I almost felt as though as I was playing it that the story and the missions were beneath me. They were too easy, and maybe even too simple if that makes sense? I can't help but feel as though certain aspects were simplified to make the single player game more complete-able/mass appeal. I know that not everyone that buys sc plays single player but I really feel as though this was set up so the people who might not play through will.
Reply Quote
I believe the Hots campaign had many great elements but the WOL was a lot more interactive with the mini games, mercenaries, choices, and more characters to talk with. It also had a secret mission..and cmon everyone loves secret missions. I just wish they also used those elements in HOTS and it woulda been a perfect campaign. Any thoughts?

"Mini Game" I never touched that thing. Im interested in Starcraft, not that thing.

"mercenaries" Interesting but I wouldnt say HotS was lacking for not having it. It was just a little cool but added little.

"Choices" I would have liked a few of them but there was much room for it. I do agree HotS could have used it.

"Characters" My only beef is how long it took to meet some of these characters so ya your point stands.

"secret mission" I kind of wish it was just a regular mission, I dont give it a + or a -

I like how they handled the upgrading system.

Overall I prefer HotS over WoL but I enjoyed both of them.
Reply Quote
WoL. Had considerably more interaction between the characters that actually showed more depth then HotS. Series went from bar fights, distrust, and a series of awkward moments to HotS's "Do what I say or I kill you" interactions and "vision". Not to mention all the little things from WoL that really added to the immersion; crew members that walked in and out of areas, clickable lore items, jukebox in the bar, even the news segments and their little blurbs at the bottom that told you what else was going on in the sector not covered in a mission really added a sense of realism to the universe. In HotS, you've got a handful of guys that stand around and do NOTHING. Where are the little zerglings running around the ship, or drones feeding other zerg on board? That ship feels empty and lifeless and it's supposed to be the "Heart" of the Swarm? Lame.
Reply Quote
I love love love both campaigns, but I felt like there were a few too many "timed" missions in WoL where you were racing against the clock, and while there were a few of those in HotS, it wasn't nearly as much, and there were quite a few simple "max army & A-move" missions, which are fun in their own way.
Reply Quote
HotS was a constant race against the clock. Rush, rush, rush. Run, run, run. Destroy shuttles, fast. Destroy Gorgons, fast. Collect eggs, fast. Destroy temples, fast. Destroy power conduits, fast. Destroy Mengsk.... fast. There was a never a time when I could take a breather and play the game at my own pace. I was always rushed or hurried by some sort of timer. WoL was a little more lenient. I'm tired as all hell of timed missions. I'm even more tired of evolution missions. Here, do some really, really easy quest that's 90% dialogue so you vaguely see how these units will perform in combat, then choose between the two. Seriously, make me a short video next time so I don't waste the effort. Otherwise I'll skip the evo missions altogether and likely still be able to complete the game with ease.
Reply Quote
03/13/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Kiran
HotS was a constant race against the clock. Rush, rush, rush. Run, run, run. Destroy shuttles, fast. Destroy Gorgons, fast. Collect eggs, fast. Destroy temples, fast. Destroy power conduits, fast. Destroy Mengsk.... fast. There was a never a time when I could take a breather and play the game at my own pace. I

Valid point, but I did a quick recap of the WOL Campaign, it is at least 75% timed missions. Destroys trains fast, survive for x minutes, keep Odin alive while it destroys a base every 5 minutes, outrun fire wave, collect minerals before the enemy does, collect gas before the enemy does, beat the Zerg to the Protoss base, the list goes on.

They are both too quick and both contain WAY too many timed missions like that. I was hoping with HOTs that would be changed.

The original Starcraft had very few timed missions. I was able to do things at my own pace without feeling rushed all the time. Starcraft 2 is an improvement in almost every way except that.

The main weakness of the original is that every map feels the same, because almost all objectives are the same: destroy the enemy base. The main strength of Starcraft 2 is that this is almost never the case. The main weakness of Starcraft 2 is that all missions are timed, this rushes you through to the end very fast. I could finish both Starcraft 2 campaigns in 4 days max. In the original game I could never get through the first 10 human missions in that time let alone the rest.

I do hope that is something they fix for the next game, it is by far my greatest complaint. There are enough missions in the game, but each one takes less than half an hour to complete. They are way too short.

Sometimes I think they made this game for someone with the attention span of a 4 year old. I apologize if that sounded harsh.
Reply Quote
Question, The first 2 sets of worlds you can venture to at the start of campaign, 1 Kaldir the other Char. Is the game altered choice wise, based on when you become the queen of blades after the Char missions and then go to Kaldir as the Queen on Blades or go to Kaldir first as regular Kerrigan?
Reply Quote
IMO, WOL was much more fun, because there wasn't such thing as a hero unit except for that 1 mission, so it actually made the game more challenging, in HOTS, in the later parts of the missions, you can just kill everything with Kerrigan alone, so it was fun to use, but it also kind of killed the fun
Reply Quote
I liked HotS a lot more. Partly because I really prefer Zerg gameplay and thematics and Kerrigan's character, but mostly because it just seemed more refined. Smoother. With fewer bumpy or tedious bits and more awesome segments.

I also feel like there were more cutscenes (and/or better cutscenes) and a smoother mission and upgrade flow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]