WOL or HOTS which campaign is better?

Inprea,

1. Good point, Valerian was non-violent. He was only interested in knowledge not warfare.
2. In all the books I read, Xel'Naga technology was superior x1000. Why give up any of it if you don't fully understand its potential? Could we say that since Amon was a Xel'Naga...that this tech really belonged to his "race?"
3. Nova and the terrans can't be finished...they have to fight for Kerrigan now.
4. I remember that part but my point is that until Zeratul came, Kerrigan had no clue about the zerg origins. How can you "lead" a race without some knowledge of their history and where your going?

Maybe some of this will be cleared up in the final series...
Edited by Residentx on 4/17/2013 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Inprea,

1. Good point, Valerian was non-violent. He was only interested in knowledge not warfare.
2. In all the books I read, Xel'Naga technology was superior x1000. Why give up any of it if you don't fully understand its potential? Could we say that since Amon was a Xel'Naga...that this tech really belonged to his "race?"
3. Nova and the terrans can't be finished...they have to fight for Kerrigan now.
4. I remember that part but my point is that until Zeratul came, Kerrigan had no clue about the zerg origins. How can you "lead" a race without some knowledge of their history and where your going?

Maybe some of this will be cleared up in the final series...

1. Thanks.

2. Perhaps Amon did fully understand the potential? Well if and this is just an if. If Nerub needed Mengsk's resources to finish reviving Amon he may have had no choice in the matter. Plus he might have been too busy making hybrids to research the artifact. What you said about the Xel'naga tech reminds me of another comic though.

There is a group of villains called the dynasty with super advanced tech everyone assumed was theirs. The protagonist learns later that the Dynasty didn't make the tech they were just the first to find the remains from its true creators. I can agree with you that it is very strange to just hand over a super weapon but you may not always have a choice.

3. Perhaps but I'm not entirely certain how. You read Flashpoint so you know how reduced the Dominion fleet was and then consider HoTS. Whoops I am about made a mistake there. I bet if the other organizations would lend their military strength they'd be about back to full strength. Mira as I recall owned a few capital ships. I will be surprised if the Terrans end up in a hero roll though given the next game is to focus on the protoss.

4. I wonder how many of our politicians have studied human history. Plus didn't the Queen of Blades decide that she didn't like the Overmind's purpose with the swarm once she took control and make her own plans? I never played SC1 but from what I read it seems like she was pretty happy to throw away their old objectives and put in her own.

Abatheur said it himself. The purpose of the swarm changes with the whims of their leader.
Reply Quote
HotS wins in terms of the story. WoL's story was rather schizophrenic, and ultimately it was hard to see the point of having so many branches that did little or nothing to the main plot, indeed with many being totally optional.

The choices did more to get in the way of a canon story than anything else, as did the insanely optional chronology and associated lack of urgency, especially when met with 'distress calls' that you never actually had to follow up on -ever-, and could certainly leave for, what, weeks? There was no sense of how much time was passing whatsoever. Leaving Agria until much later (for instance) could have made it so the Protoss 'cleansed' the planet and you were denied the further missions .. but of course that would be just as detrimental to a canon story as the way it was implemented.

HotS was far more focused on the main story; it still had optional chronology, but not to anything like the same degree. Skygeirr was the only part that seemed like a major, unexpected branch from the main story, at least if you went Kaldir -> Zerus -> Char, otherwise IMO Kaldir seemed like that as well.

Still, why they don't seem to be able to give us a focused, linear chronology campaign anymore is beyond me. I really hope we're here again in 4-5 years (I R optimistic) discussing LotV and that I can say, "yay they sorted things out", but I'm fairly sure that won't come to pass :(.
Reply Quote
Liked HoTS better. It was a lot darker and tragic IMO.

I liked WoL but the sometimes over the top one liners made me cringe. I just felt like I was doing a whole lot of nothing for 7/8ths of WoL.

I did like the WoL campaign lobby better than being on the leviathan though. The evolution pit and conversations were REALLY good, but I liked going around the battle cruiser in WoL more.

Cut scenes were way better and tugged at heart strings. The one with war field </3

Remember that Kerrigan getting deinfested ended up being a good thing. While she took the Zerg in a different direction than the Overmind, her will was still not her own. Jim erasing her initial infestation not only made her stronger when she got infested again, but gave her the ability to make her own decisions.
Edited by Tojara on 4/19/2013 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tojara,

I did like the WoL campaign lobby better than being on the leviathan though. The evolution pit and conversations were REALLY good, but I liked going around the battle cruiser in WoL more.

ME: I did like this about WOL. But evolution missions you have to admit were cool!

Cut scenes were way better and tugged at heart strings. The one with warfield </3

ME: In HOTS right? I liked the Dominion attack on the Umoja facility(Best one in my opinion)
Warfield was next, him trying to manipulate Kerrigan into killing him. "You betrayed us all...if Raynor could see you right now..." My favorite was the end. Mengsk was classic...facing death...unrepentant..."I made you into a Monster, Kerrigan..."

Like he was still in control :-)

Remember that Kerrigan getting deinfested ended up being a good thing. While she took the Zerg in a different direction than the Overmind, her will was still not her own. Jim erasing her initial infestation not only made her stronger when she got infested again, but gave her the ability to make her own decisions.

ME: I'm not buying any of that "I can't remember" stuff! She remembered everything else...just not the murders, lol :-) Her self-denials were posturing just in case she failed to regain her Zerg form/powers and/or was forced to face justice from either Terrans or the Protoss. She was on the run and vulnerable when she made those statements, right?
Edited by Residentx on 4/19/2013 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Inprea,

2. Perhaps Amon did fully understand the potential? Well if and this is just an if. If Nerub needed Mengsk's resources to finish reviving Amon he may have had no choice in the matter. Plus he might have been too busy making hybrids to research the artifact. What you said about the Xel'naga tech reminds me of another comic though.

ME: I hope we get some book that talks about this reviving. I was under the idea Narud was doing only hybrid research. If Amon is Xel'Naga he's no slouch. Kerrigan will need to unify Protoss, Zerg and Terran to defeat him if the tech I've read about in the novels is true.

3. Perhaps but I'm not entirely certain how. You read Flashpoint so you know how reduced the Dominion fleet was and then consider HoTS. Whoops I am about made a mistake there. I bet if the other organizations would lend their military strength they'd be about back to full strength. Mira as I recall owned a few capital ships. I will be surprised if the Terrans end up in a hero roll though given the next game is to focus on the protoss.

ME: Let's see what develops here. I have no comment now except...a new structure must replace the Dominion(vacuum).

4. I wonder how many of our politicians have studied human history. Plus didn't the Queen of Blades decide that she didn't like the Overmind's purpose with the swarm once she took control and make her own plans? I never played SC1 but from what I read it seems like she was pretty happy to throw away their old objectives and put in her own.

ME: Leaders are supposed to be "learned" people. As a society, we can't have leaders making the same mistakes time after time. Kerrigan in the "Queen of Blades" just didn't want to be a "tool" of the Zerg Overmind. In Queen of Blades, the Overminds chaffed at how she treated them. This was because she was a "Free-Willed" Zerg. She wanted to "know and understand" before jumping in. Her combat with the old Protoss(Zeratul(Leader of the Dark Protoss) & Tassadar(Leader of the Connected Protoss) was instructive.
Edited by Residentx on 4/19/2013 7:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WoL wasn't brutally linear because you were making history. Video games have the advantage of choice. Books do not unless it's one of those books where you have a choice of what page to turn to. The story in WoL was great. You gather credits to build up an insurgency force. You collect pieces of an artifact you find out is a weapon to purge the queen of blades. And people help you along the way. And you can choose which people to help and see the consequences of said actions. The consequences might not be reflected in the final outcome but some missions are easier if you make the immoral choice. What started as a quest to rebuild Raynor's Raiders to oppose Mengsk turned into a battle to save Kerrigan.

In HOTS the story starts with Mengsk and ends with Mengsk without much in-between besides some snippets on Amon who isn`t relevant at that point in time even though he is supposed to be the most powerful being in the universe. Kerrigan plays the part of an elementary Greek philosopher judging good from bad and concluding there is nothing to judge, Mengsk must die.

Looking towards the next expansion whose release date will probably depend on MLG the story has a lot of potential to be something great and hopefully they go back to the making history way of doing things. Good luck balancing it with stalker, immortal, colossi, and phoenix that can spam lockdown with a 4.25 movement speed.
Reply Quote
WoL:

1. Longer
2. Cantina (TV, game, jukebox, wall decorations, etc.)
3. Less linear, more cool choices
4. You get to visit more planets
5. You get to play a protoss mini-campaign
6. Great hero maps (esp. Belly of the Beast)
7. The story felt more epic/climactic than the HotS story
8. Did I mention the cantina?
And last but not least . . .
9. Terrans rule
Reply Quote
HOTS had potential...the story is good, it's fun to play as Zerg, and there were a couple missions that were really fun. But WOL's campaign was FAR FAR FAR FAR better, indescribably better. Most of the HOTS missions were REALLY lackluster, there were really nothing but timed missions, which I despise. WOL kept those to a minimum and kept it fun.

For HOTS it looks like they didn't have any creativity for the campaign, and it was with a couple exceptions just one timed mission after another. I made it up to Korhal, but I dont really have any desire to finish the game. WOL I liked enough to not only finish but go back and do achievements afterward. For HOTS...I just want it to be over with, and I probably won't ever touch it again. Right now I've made about 8 attempts at the "planetfall" mission where you have to defend the spore cannons, with no luck whatsoever. The missions aren't even challenging, they are just frustrating, and not really fun at all. I'm having doubts about whether I will even finish the campaign...just thinking about putting some cheat codes in so I can see the ending and being done with it.

Multiplayer...HOTS may very well be better, I don't know. I can't stand multiplayer and have no intention of ever touching it.
Edited by Saerydoth on 4/21/2013 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I kind like how it started from the beginning in terms of the levels and units available in the first 4 planets once your in the Levi, but from that point on they place a Rushed Rescue missions and the last few units you get stretch out . . . its like the ran out of ideas near the middle . . . Also why didnt Queens, Infestors and the Aborration get evolution missions . . . feels like they were added just for kicks.
Reply Quote
A strong point in less linear . . . it felt like the universe of starcraft was indeed a large one . . . in Heart you feel restricted with cutscenes and evolution mission that dont offer much exploration . . .
Reply Quote
The level design in swarm was better since they had time to get better at it.

But it was also too easy even on hard.
Reply Quote
I just finished StarCraft HOTS on Brutal. WoL has nothing on this game. When I played this game on normal the first time I was done by the weekend of the release but on brutal this game was extremely frustrating. I beat the first game using zerglings and hydralisks only but this time I had to sit down and strategize which units to use. I used all the units to defeat the game on Brutal.
Edited by Residentx on 5/10/2013 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
wol
Reply Quote
WoL was way better than HoTs. I'm guessing they put more time into WoL because HoTs is an Expansion. And WoL was not. See where I'm getting at.
Reply Quote
Sozen,

They put more into it? The campaigns were about the same length. The only difference was SC2: WOL needed the activation energy(New battle.net, rich client, etc.) HOTS was able to leverage all that existing work. Void will be an "expansion" too...
Edited by Residentx on 5/10/2013 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
About the artifact you guys were talking about.

In the final cinematic the artifact seemed to look burned. It also does not seem to be as potent as it used to be.

As for why/how it became in that condition, well there are several possibilities.

I think whatever it was used for in HotS actually burned it, or perhaps it was overused.

Also, Narud could have tampered with it (that is, taken some of its regular power as opposed to stolen power) before handing it over.
Reply Quote
"In the final cinematic the artifact seemed to look burned."

The artifact has been in so many people's hands...as cargo in the back of their ships.

They've also been used...they do generate energy.
Reply Quote
HOTS was more fun and the story was more engaging. It was also better balanced.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]