StarCraft® II

The True Purpose of the Xel'naga Artifact

How did you get that achievement?? where is it in the lab?
Reply Quote
I would also like to know how this achievement is completed. ive done the campaign twice and still dont have it and i know i cant just replay a mission cause ive done them all a few times.
Reply Quote
Xel'naga Secrets is earned through a conversation at skygeiir, I you have to talk to Stukov between missions.
Reply Quote
Xel'naga Secrets is earned through a conversation at skygeiir, I you have to talk to Stukov between missions.

That was only scratching the surface. We'll need to wait until LotV before we know the rest...
Reply Quote
Ok here is my take on this. Let's imagine the following alternate timeline

1) Overmind never made Kerrigan and just continued along his merry way and eventually merged with the protoss (or maybe didn't get that far, but close)
2)Eventually, after getting really powerful, the artifact (not very ancient but still made way before Kerrigan came into the picture) would've killed the Overmind and freed up all that energy, and potentially whatever energy the Overmind stole from the protss too.
3) Amon is revived and consumes the power of both the zerg and protoss and full charges his batteries and destroys everything to remake the universe in his image or whatever he wants.

So, the Overmind has a vision of a potential future where he did something to stop this (i.e. create Kerrigan) but she dies and the zerg are used to as slaves/food for the Hybrids (recall in his vision, the Dark Voice explicitly says that Kerrigan could've jeopordized his plans). It's not clear to me whether he had this vision before he made her (thus influencing his decision to make a human/zerg hybrid) or after (in which he realizes he was on the right track, but she died anyway). So, the following time line has occurred:

1) Overmind dies, but the power of the zerg resides in Kerrigan so Duran/Narud has to use the artifact on her to free up all this energy.
2) Narud convinces Junior to work with him to find and assemble the artifact pieces and get Raynor close to enough to use it (he's the only one crazy enough to go to Char since he still loves her).
3) Narud convinces Mengsk to go along with the charade because he needs someone working for him who wants to see Kerrigan dead and Jim won't pull the trigger himself. Tychus is chosen because they figure Jim won't be able to kill an old friend to protect Sarah, so he's the ideal assassin.
4) artifact is used, and as planned energy is harvested to revive Amon. BUT two unexpected things happen:
5) Raynor kills his old best friend much to the shock of everyone and Sarah survives.
6) Sarah can STILL control the Zerg, quite effectively.

I think (5) and (6) are how the plan truly backfired; yes they revived Amon but they didn't count on Sarah being a threat still. And now she's stronger than ever as Primal form
Reply Quote
5) Raynor kills his old best friend much to the shock of everyone and Sarah survives.

Somebody pointed out to me that it was more likely the Protoss that were going to have killed Kerrigan. His argument was that Jim was always going to save Kerrigan. Here is the evidence:

-The Protoss in the alternate future express regret for having not known, or "If only we had acted sooner." This implies that they had the option to prevent her death. Yet, in HotS they were caught off guard by seeing Kerrigan deinfested. They clearly were unaware when she was being deinfested on Char, thus they had no hand in her death if Raynor was always going to let Tychus kill her and could not have prevented it since they had no way of knowing. Therefore, the Protoss would have had to have killed her after the events of Char for their remorseful statements during In Utter Darkness to make any sense.

This proves that even in that alternate timeline, Raynor was always going to shoot Tychus to save Kerrigan. I think the real change came when Zeratul led Kerrigan to Zerus to become the Primal Queen of Blades. It is pretty clear that he could have easily slain her in her human form. That lightning fast face-palm could have very well been a lightning fast decapitation.
Reply Quote
There could be multiple versions of the future I suppose. But in this timeline, Tychus was chosen because no one else could get close enough to her with Jim was leading the mission.
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 01:25 PMPosted by DarthTimmy

Somebody pointed out to me that it was more likely the Protoss that were going to have killed Kerrigan. His argument was that Jim was always going to save Kerrigan. Here is the evidence:

-The Protoss in the alternate future express regret for having not known, or "If only we had acted sooner." This implies that they had the option to prevent her death. Yet, in HotS they were caught off guard by seeing Kerrigan deinfested. They clearly were unaware when she was being deinfested on Char, thus they had no hand in her death if Raynor was always going to let Tychus kill her and could not have prevented it since they had no way of knowing. Therefore, the Protoss would have had to have killed her after the events of Char for their remorseful statements during In Utter Darkness to make any sense.

This proves that even in that alternate timeline, Raynor was always going to shoot Tychus to save Kerrigan. I think the real change came when Zeratul led Kerrigan to Zerus to become the Primal Queen of Blades. It is pretty clear that he could have easily slain her in her human form. That lightning fast face-palm could have very well been a lightning fast decapitation.

You're assuming in the original timeline, Kerrigan got deinfested AT ALL...
Reply Quote
There could be multiple versions of the future I suppose. But in this timeline, Tychus was chosen because no one else could get close enough to her with Jim was leading the mission.

Yeah, but I guess my point was he really had no impact on changing things, regardless of what he was intended for.

You're assuming in the original timeline, Kerrigan got deinfested AT ALL...

Narud and Valerian (through Mobious) were charging the Raiders to recover the artifact and Zeratul's warning to Raynor was separate from this endeavor. Narud (as Duran) was going to use Kerrigan to "speed up" his progress (BW Dark Origin), and as we know, he used the energy taken from her to revive Amon. Yes, she was deinfested in the original timeline. Zeratul was the singular variable factor in the ultimate equation.
Edited by DarthTimmy on 5/6/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hehe this is sounding more like a quantum mechanics discussion (possible futures and past, each corresponding to chaotic spin of electrons and collapsing probabilities blah blah). My point was to to express decisions made in the existing timeline. Though this discussion is also very interesting :) Have we decided whether or not Kerrigan could die as the original QoB? If not, they would've had to use the artifact to de-infest her and claim that zerg energy she held, in order for her to die.
Reply Quote
For the record I never thought she was immortal, but alot of people seem to think that nothing could kill her (e.g. Jim's hand cannon on the Moros, rifle spikes on Char, etc etc.)
Reply Quote
hehe this is sounding more like a quantum mechanics discussion (possible futures and past, each corresponding to chaotic spin of electrons and collapsing probabilities blah blah). My point was to to express decisions made in the existing timeline. Though this discussion is also very interesting :)

I love nerding out about this stuff because it is a practice in both imagination and attention to detail. :)

Have we decided whether or not Kerrigan could die as the original QoB? If not, they would've had to use the artifact to de-infest her and claim that zerg energy she held, in order for her to die.

For the record I never thought she was immortal, but alot of people seem to think that nothing could kill her (e.g. Jim's hand cannon on the Moros, rifle spikes on Char, etc etc.)

I think her high durability displayed by high hp and such in the game represents her overall capability such as psionic protection, ability to dodge, and so on. Take Raynor for example. His in game unit is a highly durable marine, yet I seriously doubt he could really stand up to a volley of armor piercing spikes from a basic marine's firearm. It is more a best assessment of his overall tactical capability interpreted for an RTS. Same goes with Kerrigan. Additionally, even though I haven't read the Queen of Blades novel, I believe there are accounts of her manipulating projectiles so far as even sending bullets back at those that fired them. My point is, I think if Raynor chose to blow her brains out, she would not have survived. I really do think she put her life in his hands. As far as dieing as original QoB, I think the artifact incapacitated her by deinfesting her, removing her ability to defend herself with her massive psionic power. So I think she was nearly immortal just because of her powers, not because of her durability if that makes sense.

Her being deinfested also disjointed the Swarm and caused a large portion of it to tear itself apart by going feral. This significantly added to her vulnerability.
Edited by DarthTimmy on 5/6/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ok so, resilient, but by no means unbreakable. I agree. So I guess I'd conclude my train of thought that that any number of possible universes could exist where she was killed as QoB, weakened human, and I guess even Primal QoB. Point is, that would be bad in any sense, as the power vacuum left behind would be leave Amon in a strong position to take the Zerg as his own.
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 08:20 PMPosted by BroDarkness
and I guess even Primal QoB.

Yeah I think Zeratul is going to have his hands full convincing the Protoss to not hunt Kerrigan down and kill her. I think that alternate timeline where she is killed is still possible. I don't think it will happen because that would obnoxiously mess up the story and piss everybody off, but it is still a factor that might influence the story in LotV.
Reply Quote
Also from what we can see destroying a single Leviathan is supposed to take a whole fleet of ships.

the leviathan calldown in the campaign was pretty weak. i'm pretty sure you should focus on taking down kerrigan in the sky rather than on the ground.
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Oboeman
Also from what we can see destroying a single Leviathan is supposed to take a whole fleet of ships.

the leviathan calldown in the campaign was pretty weak. i'm pretty sure you should focus on taking down kerrigan in the sky rather than on the ground.

I know what you mean. At 1000 HP, it's not powerful at all. The Leviathan you fight in WoL on Char was a hell of a lot better.
Reply Quote
My two cents:

As was previously mentioned in the conversation between Kerrigan and Stukov, her power was removed from her when she was dis-infested the first time. All that power went somewhere, so why not send it to the one place where Amon can reside without worrying so much about someone killing him in a weakened form: The Void. My theory is that Kerrigan's power went off into Hybrid(s) near Char, and they, in turn, took it to a planet far in unexplored territory for all three races, perhaps a place where the Void collides with the 'Real', for a lack of a better term. This location, the thinning line between the two, which I will refer to as the 'Link Planet', will collect power for the revival of something powerful.

Along with this theory, I also have another one, and it regards to the Energy Creatures in the books. I think these are also somehow key to producing the power that Amon needs to drag himself from the Void into the 'Real'.

In a nod to the Hybrids, and Maar especially, they are collectors. They go about, absorbing psionic energy/power to revive Amon. The common thing for them is enslaving races with high amounts of psionic potential, hence Maar enslaving those Protoss. For others, they merely kill and absorb, then transport it off to the 'Link Planet'.
Reply Quote
05/19/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Jester
Along with this theory, I also have another one, and it regards to the Energy Creatures in the books. I think these are also somehow key to producing the power that Amon needs to drag himself from the Void into the 'Real'.

I remember those, though it's been a long time since I read Shadow of the Xel'Naga
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]