StarCraft® II

Will there be a happy ending in LotV?

They seem to be providing (relatively) happy endings to WoL and HotS so I'm hopeful. Honestly, they need to think real carefully about the ending. I know they are probably thinking, "oh we don't want to do a happy ending, everyone does that!". The problem is you can't just go for a "sad" or "bittersweet" ending if the ending isn't very good (not to mention that has become its own cliché these days). ME3 suffered from this, other games have done the same thing, try to be "different" by not having a happy ending, but the ending just isn't that great. I think the worse offender has to be the Prince of Persia reboot in 2008, if anyone has ever played that.

Basically, I would counsel Blizzard to just go for the happy ending, unless they have something really fantastic up their sleeve. Which, I'm sorry, the story for WoL and HotS has been good, but not so fantastic that I trust Blizzard to pull something amazing off. Have Zeratul sacrifice himself in the end, let Kerrigan and Raynor end up together. Please.
Edited by HeyZeus on 3/18/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
They seem to be providing (relatively) happy endings to WoL and HotS so I'm hopeful. Honestly, they need to think real carefully about the ending. I know they are probably thinking, "oh we don't want to do a happy ending, everyone does that!". The problem is you can't just go for a "sad" or "bittersweet" ending if the ending isn't very good (not to mention that has become its own cliché these days). ME3 suffered from this, other games have done the same thing, try to be "different" by not having a happy ending, but the ending just isn't that great. I think the worse offender has to be the Prince of Persia reboot in 2008, if anyone has ever played that.

Basically, I would counsel Blizzard to just go for the happy ending, unless they have something really fantastic up their sleeve. Which, I'm sorry, the story for WoL and HotS has been good, but not so fantastic that I trust Blizzard to pull something amazing off. Have Zeratul sacrifice himself in the end, let Kerrigan and Raynor end up together. Please.

Yes, Blizzard must make a happy ending. I totally agree.
Also, its likely that Zeratul will sacrafice himself for Sarah and Jim
Reply Quote
In my opinion. I almost hope there isn't...
Reply Quote
Thanks to mass effect conventional victory are no longer allowed in games.
Reply Quote
Personally don't want a "immortal" Kerrigan or even a "slightly zerg" Kerrigan.

She and Raynor deserve an ending where she is turned back to completely Human, and they can finally find some rest after all this war.

Anything less is just cruel of Blizzard.

And seriously all this "OH HO MAIN CHARACTER DIES" stuff going on in other games is getting tiring. A happy ending doesn't end with the main character dying a horrible death so others can live.

I agree that any ending where Kerrigan and Jim aren't together will be a failure for me. They have simply gone through too much suffering to not be paired together in the end. Also, them dying off together is not harmonious; it would be the final tease before the last sacrifice.

Good sacrificial ends are built into otherwise happy storylines in order to bring the reader through the entire emotional circle. It is used by the author to drive the theme of the story home through an abrupt change in mood. Using a sad conclusion to a suffering hero simply leaves the audience wanting and only half fulfilled, the circle is only half complete.

If SC2 ends the way it is foreshadowing, it will have a truly terrible theme. The story will simply state that no matter how much you preserve through suffering only death and misery await and that would be the biggest tragedy of all.

Does LotV have to contain suffering and sacrifice? Of course, in order to achieve the supernatural conclusion they are aiming for these will have to take place. However, it must not be made by those that suffered the most or there will not be balance. I actually think a sacrifice by Matt would bring about the desired impact the most.
Reply Quote
Couldn't agree more Tiwahz.
Reply Quote

Yeah, if the SC universe goes on, the Protoss will have to change from "En Taro Tassadar" to "En Taro Zeratul".
Reply Quote

Yeah, if the SC universe goes on, the Protoss will have to change from "En Taro Tassadar" to "En Taro Zeratul".

I hope that it won't become En Taro Kerrigan...
Reply Quote
Guys, I made a poll, plz vote :)
Hope Blizzard see that the happy ending wins!!!
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8198643001
Reply Quote

I hope that it won't become En Taro Kerrigan...

Don't worry, the Protoss would prefer total extinction than that...
Reply Quote
I'm really against insistence on happy endings "just because". A story needs the right ending, not necessarily happy, or dark either. It should bring completion to the story.

Kerrigan killed billions of people, and then even reformed Kerrigan killed millions more, including an entire ship of Protoss civilians. A happy ending may be worse than no ending at all, because it would have to ignore the entire story that lead up to that ending, instead of completing it. (That's the problem with the Mass Effect ending, not that it isn't happy, but it obsoletes the story instead of completing it.)

That said, the cynic in me wants a happy ending. When Jean Gray killed billions of people, the editor at Marvel put his foot down and said no way could she have a happy ending. (So the writers retconned that "it wasn't really her" killing billions of people, lol. And gave her the happy ending anyway.) I think it would be hilarious if Blizzard just let Kerrigan have her happy ending, as a way of poking fun at Marvel.
Reply Quote
I really can't remember any Blizzard game with a "complete" happy ending (ALL good guys are happy and alive at the end). Just a recap of some recent games:

- Diablo 3: Decard Cain dies
- WotLK: Bolvar becomes the Lich King
- SC 1: Kerrigan becomes de Queen of Blades and Tassadar dies

I would love to see a complete happy ending now, for a change. Like, Kerrigan and Raynor togeter and Zeratul returns home as a hero! <3
Reply Quote
Yes - because they lived happily ever after endings are not cheesy at all. They are the very definition of cheesy.
I also somewhat agree that bittersweet endings have been overdone.

So... how about this for an ending?

Aemon wins. He destroys the terrans in the sector completely, he shatters the protoss again, razes Shakuras to the ground, and he rapes the zerg, destroying the vast majority of their forces.

Zeratul is taken and transformed into the new right hand of Aemon - the new Duran.
And Kerrigan/Raynor manage to run away from the onslaught.

Starcraft 3 will be focused on UED and its attempt to take down Aemon.
Reply Quote
Agree luotian. The "sacrificial" ending where main characters die for the good of everyone else is so ridiculously overdone, and does not provide the player / viewer with a feel good ending in my opinion. Really hope Blizzard follows your recommendation.

Ive never liked the sacrifical ending. Ive ALWAYS hated it.

I dont mind so much something like Tassadar where he was just 1 of several big characters (including the Player Characters) but it any stories where most of the people die (or the Player character) it destroys the story for me.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Zsa
Aemon wins. He destroys the terrans in the sector completely, he shatters the protoss again, razes Shakuras to the ground, and he rapes the zerg, destroying the vast majority of their forces.

Sounds awful. No one wants to see the good guys to completely lose

I love the UED and would cheer for them big time but I would probably refuse to buy SC3 because of how much I would hate SC2 end
Edited by Galdos on 3/19/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes - because they lived happily ever after endings are not cheesy at all. They are the very definition of cheesy.
I also somewhat agree that bittersweet endings have been overdone.

So... how about this for an ending?

Zeratul is taken and transformed into the new right hand of Aemon - the new Duran.
And Kerrigan/Raynor manage to run away from the onslaught.

Starcraft 3 will be focused on UED and its attempt to take down Aemon.

I actually kind of like this idea. Mainly because if the good guys win completely, what would be the point of Starcraft 3? It is, however, important that Kerrigan and Raynor both survive. In my opinion.
Also, I thought his name was spelled "Amon". Could be wrong.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Galdos

Sounds awful. No one wants to see the good guys to completely lose

I love the UED and would cheer for them big time but I would probably refuse to buy SC3 because of how much I would hate SC2 end

They haven't completely lost. They just got soundly beaten, and it would be an awesome ending especially because they haven't done anything like this before and nobody would be expecting it. And for every soft-hearted crybaby that doesn't want to continue following the story because the ending was not "on par" with his/her expectations, they'll probably get 2 new fans which thought this was refreshing and unexpected.

I of course have no numbers to back this up, but I look at the success the Song of Ice and Fire series had. One thing you will find in this fantasy series as opposed to most others is that the good guy/girl DOESN'T always win. He/she sometimes gets killed, and sometimes the bad guys come out on top.

It would be a breath of fresh air from all the very predictable endings. Even this thread is proof of that. The major question is not whether the forces of good will triumph, it's whether K&J will be together or not. LOL?
Reply Quote
because they haven't done anything like this before and nobody would be expecting it

Downer ending just for the sake of shock value is just as stupid, if not more so, as a happy ending just for the sake of sap value.

Song of Ice and Fire series

Song of Ice and Fire is a) written by a writer completely out of Blizzards league and b) is unfinished.
Reply Quote
Song of Ice and Fire is a) written by a writer completely out of Blizzards league and b) is unfinished.

GRRM is good at some things, but he's one of those "magic ruins stories" bigots who hates on the genre instead of admitting he's just bad at writing magic. (He's good at other things, which is why he's famous.) Also he's terrible at deadlines; Blizzard might be the only company on earth that's anti-deadline enough to contract him.
Reply Quote
anti-deadline enough to contract him.

When it comes to deadlines, no one beats Valve. Actually, maybe the builders of Sagrada Familia take the cake.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]