StarCraft® II

Will there be a happy ending in LotV?

The problem is , Kerrigan DOES NOT DESERVE a happy ending.

She is responsible for over 11 billion deaths as the Queen of Blades and still responsible for several hundreds/thousands as the redeemed Kerrigan. Thats why Im very against the idea that the two get a happy ending together because Kerrigan is still a murderer and she even admits it. She admits she will murder anyone who will get in her way when she was human (If you do the Snow planet first this is clear)

Murderers should not get happy endings.
Reply Quote

She is responsible for over 11 billion deaths as the Queen of Blades and still responsible for several hundreds/thousands as the redeemed Kerrigan. Thats why Im very against the idea that the two get a happy ending together because Kerrigan is still a murderer and she even admits it. She admits she will murder anyone who will get in her way when she was human (If you do the Snow planet first this is clear)

I think this is an overly simplistic view of a complicated situation. As QoB, her actions were guided by the infestation and Amon's influence. Once she became the Zerg again who exactly did she murder? The Protoss? They were actively seeking her destruction by attempting to contact Shakuras. The Terran worlds destroyed due to their strategic importance? How else would she take them out? The Zerg don't exactly understand the concept of a quick strike. The soldiers fighting for Mengsk? They are soldiers and unfortunately soldiers die in war.

Yes she was a ruthless assassin in a brutal war but I don't think you can take such a black and white stance. She has paid for that greatly. It's the whole reason the Zerg chose her. Now in HotS she has been forced to sacrifice everything once again.

She has already paid her debt.
Reply Quote
It will be a travesty not to reunite these characters permanently and have a happy ending secured for them at the end of LotV. Both of these characters have endured so much throughout the story, and it would be a true disservice to the story for including this type of love saga to ruin it at the end.

As someone mentioned earlier, Bioware really dropped the ball on ME3. I sincerely hope that Blizzard doesn't travel down the same path.

The game definitely deserves a finale that ends with Kerrigan and Raynor finally being able to embark on a journey together that doesn't revolve around tragedy. Hopefully, Blizzard will deliver and provide something memorable that reflects that scenario.
Reply Quote
Well I just wanted to make my view clear. I really disagree with her being told "you are allowed to live a long and happy life however you want with whoever you want"

You may think its simplistic but I feel that everyone is else just dismissing everything else too quickly.

But thats just a personal opinion. Im surprised to see that my feelings are actually the minority (or at least they are in the forums lol)
Reply Quote
Well I just wanted to make my view clear. I really disagree with her being told "you are allowed to live a long and happy life however you want with whoever you want"

You may think its simplistic but I feel that everyone is else just dismissing everything else too quickly.

But thats just a personal opinion. Im surprised to see that my feelings are actually the minority (or at least they are in the forums lol)

I just think it's unfair to hold a grudge, and withhold redemption, from a character because tragedy befell from actions she had little to no control over. Her lack of control is also why I disagree with your inference of her being a murderer.

Even as a ghost she was simply a tool employed by others.

I don't think people are dismissing her actions as much understanding the extreme influence of outside actors. They see her as a victim as much as the others.
Reply Quote
You know what would be awesome?
When/if Amon dies, A giant explosion happens and Kerrigan is caught in it. But the explosion is so powerful that it cleansed her from any zerg/Primal zerg infestation.
That.
Would.
Be.
EPIC.

I'm a bit new to the forums, but to me, any truly 'happy' ending for the two would have to involve the de-infestation of Kerrigan...and since the Xel'Naga device seems like it's cooked at the end of HotS, this would seem to be the most reasonable way of doing it (given that it was Xel'Naga energy that resulted in her de-infestation in WoL). If they beat the bad guys but Kerrigan is still leading the Swarm...I don't see her and Raynor pairing up except when it's to go after bad guys.

That said, I do not think that Blizzard will go this route unless they think there's a high unlikelihood of making any more SC games with single-player campaigns. Kerrigan IS the Zerg at this point...I cannot fathom any of the random Brood Mothers encountered during HotS to be compelling enough as the main character.

Just my two cents. And while I hope and can envision a plausible 'happy' ending for Kerrigan & Raynor (maybe they settle down and help Valerian rule the Terran portions of the Koprulu Sector?), I'm also realistic that I don't really expect it to happen.
Reply Quote

I think this is an overly simplistic view of a complicated situation. As QoB, her actions were guided by the infestation and Amon's influence. Once she became the Zerg again who exactly did she murder? The Protoss? They were actively seeking her destruction by attempting to contact Shakuras. The Terran worlds destroyed due to their strategic importance? How else would she take them out? The Zerg don't exactly understand the concept of a quick strike. The soldiers fighting for Mengsk? They are soldiers and unfortunately soldiers die in war.

Yes she was a ruthless assassin in a brutal war but I don't think you can take such a black and white stance. She has paid for that greatly. It's the whole reason the Zerg chose her. Now in HotS she has been forced to sacrifice everything once again.

But does SHE believe she paid her debt? The fighting within the 3 races will obviously continue...
Reply Quote

But does SHE believe she paid her debt? The fighting within the 3 races will obviously continue...

I think she feels that she has not. Which is in part why I am still convinced it will end with Kerrigan sacrificing herself.

The way this could work out, and I would be happy with it, is Kerrigan transcends to a state much like Tassadar. In this state, the Xel'Naga come to Kerrigan and convince her to relinquish her pain and guilt. Then, as a thank you for defeating the fallen one, remake her as a human without psychic powers (the continuous source of her pain). This could then lead into an ending that someone else posted with Raynor finding her in her new body.

I still dislike the sacrificial ending but if it has to be that could work.
Reply Quote
I think she feels that she has not. Which is in part why I am still convinced it will end with Kerrigan sacrificing herself.

The way this could work out, and I would be happy with it, is Kerrigan transcends to a state much like Tassadar. In this state, the Xel'Naga come to Kerrigan and convince her to relinquish her pain and guilt. Then, as a thank you for defeating the fallen one, remake her as a human without psychic powers (the continuous source of her pain). This could then lead into an ending that someone else posted with Raynor finding her in her new body.

I still think you can take a loose interpretation of 'sacrifice', though...i.e. Kerrigan could sacrifice her primal Zerg state and her psionic abilities to defeat Amon (not that I've really conceptualized how this would be done in a feasible manner) and end up just being a regular Terran. Does Kerrigan have to sacrifice herself, or does she merely have to sacrifice everything that makes her incredibly powerful?
Reply Quote
You know what would be awesome?
When/if Amon dies, A giant explosion happens and Kerrigan is caught in it. But the explosion is so powerful that it cleansed her from any zerg/Primal zerg infestation.
That.
Would.
Be.
EPIC.

Blizzard, hire this person and have him write LotV for us
Reply Quote
Because every f---ing game in excistence I can immediately think of has a happy ending one way or another. Mass effect I can actually truly appreciate the storyline because shepard sacrificed himself to save (possibly) trillions of varying lifeforms from a crackhead insane rogue AI that manipulated itself into full Exterminatus mode. Now we have the same thing going on in Starcraft, except its (stupidly) revolving around 2 characters instead of the entire situation. The only way there can be a "happy" ending in LOTV is if the Xel'Naga pulls an intentionally stupid decision (storyline wise) and turns Kerrigan back to normal... which in and of itself would just be ruthlessly beating the series after it has already slipped in mud(WOL) and fell into a puddle full of rusty coathangers(HOTS). Plus if it did this, Kerrigan would lose nearly all of her ungodly psionic powers and have no way of banishing him back to the void.

Other then that it seems that Kerrigan WILL sacrifice herself to tie everything together. If she magically gets turned back to normal and gets back with raynor... The whole series is just murdered just so some fangirls can have some more !@#$ storyline endings of which to worship.

Note the ratio of men/women over the time of the series on release date/shortly after.
-Sc1/BW mostly(if not all) guys looking for a timekiller with background story.
-WOL, slowly more women coming to the series because of the possible romance and(in some cases) good gameplay, but still remains mostly men.
-HOTS, appears to be a disproportionate amount of fangirls swarming around the idea of a romantic ending for the series, something that was never intended anywhere in the series.
Reply Quote
It depends on which ending you're viewing :)
Edited by timvane on 3/20/2013 2:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
JebusKreist

Because every f---ing game in excistence I can immediately think of has a happy ending one way or another.

You don't play many games do you? Just off the top of my head. Wild Arms 4 and 5, Suikoden 3 or 4 I believe especially if you don't turn the ruin of judgement into the ruin of mercy, Mass effect 3 of course.

Final Fantasy 13-2 real bad. The entire game is about changing the future and you can deny destiny. Only at the end half the playable characters are killed off and it turns out all your efforts have only delayed the apocalypse by a week or so.

Shadow Hearts 1,2,3 if you fail to get the golden ending. There is also Diablo 3 depending on how attached you were to Leah or Cain. The bitter sweet ending has been popping up so often that I've become weary of it and started looking for spoilers to make sure I avoid it.
Reply Quote
I don't feel a happy ending for Jim and Kerrigan would work.

Putting aside the fact Raynor has drank himself into such a stupor he's completely forgotten about Fenix or that Kerrigan is/was The Queen of Blades...

There's too much between both of them now. They aren't the same Ex-Marshal and Renegade Ghost that met fighting the Confederacy for the Sons of Korhal. Raynor's running probably the only legitimate coalition for good in Terran space and Kerrigan is the will of the Swarm.

Even if they all make it out of LotV alive, it would be beyond fan fiction quality writing that ended up putting the two of them together at the end.

Then again, I think back to Diablo 3's writing and how all the story 'hints' were about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Seriously, they need to replace Metzen already. The man's clearly flash fried his brain sometime between the WoW Launch and WoL.
Reply Quote
Happy ending is easy to work into the story. Just get Raynor to murder a couple million people. Then he'll stop being so judgmental and come crawling back to Kerrigan, and they can be space pirates. Or something.
Reply Quote
Happy ending is easy to work into the story. Just get Raynor to murder a couple million people. Then he'll stop being so judgmental and come crawling back to Kerrigan, and they can be space pirates. Or something.

Everyone in this universe has killed many, many people in battle. If there is one line that rings true from the campaign, it's the last words from Kerrigan before she blows up Mengsk - everyone was turned into a monster. True, she's responsible for a lot worse, but no one has clean hands in the Starcraft universe.
Reply Quote

I personally dislike the sacrificial ending. Raynor had fought too hard for her to be for nothing.
Reply Quote
I hope he is by her side against Amon, and hopefully once the dust settles... they can finally be together.
Reply Quote
I hope he is by her side against Amon, and hopefully once the dust settles... they can finally be together.

By her side against Amon is virtually guaranteed. I can see all 3 races fighting alongside one another against Amon in the final LotV mission...
Reply Quote
That's going to be some mission.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]