StarCraft® II

I thought Starcraft was supposed to be a

Science fiction game. When did the larval zerg stop parasitically assimilating DNA and instead become ridiculously beastly monsters absorbing a neon colored gas called "essence" causing them to double in size in 4 seconds? Since when did telekinetic powers involve firing massive neon energy beams? How in the hell does a being that's been dead for thousands of years come back to life because someone collects some energy?

I used to really appreciate the thought put into Starcraft lore, but this is literally ruining the campaign experience for me. It's not science-fiction anymore, it's Warcraft magic in space.

I can overlook the sub-par writing and mediocre story because all in all the expansion is pretty fun, but this just leaves me feeling like the universe I loved for a good decade and a half has been turned on it's head and gutted out.
Edited by Turnip on 3/17/2013 1:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
lore, lol.
Reply Quote
lore, lol.
Reply Quote
it's Warcraft magic in space.

During original starcraft alpha people complained that it looked like warcraft in space, so blizzard remade the game completely.

Its sad how far they have fallen.
Reply Quote
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

You not understanding the science does not mean the science is not there. I would also suggest googling the term "gameplay story segregation". Just because it looks like they're inhaling a gas and isntantly growing, does not mean that is what is happening in the story. The game compresses events to what is essential to move things along.

You'll enjoy entertainment products a lot more of you stop overanalyzing things.
Reply Quote
However I think you missed the part where the Zerg are a completely biological race, not a technologically advanced race like the Protoss or Xel'Naga.
Reply Quote
However I think you missed the part where the Zerg are a completely biological race, not a technologically advanced race like the Protoss or Xel'Naga.

They don't use technology in the same sense that terrans do, but they still have absurdly advanced science. Technology is just applied science, and the zerg apply it in a different way than other races.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 12:25 AMPosted by Sumelar

They don't use technology in the same sense that terrans do, but they still have absurdly advanced science. Technology is just applied science, and the zerg apply it in a different way than other races.

still zerg used to require assimilating DNA and evolving, now they just kill something and suck its essence, or stand in a pool and become powerful. that's ridiculous. why didnt the overmind go back to zerus periodically to stand in the pool?
Reply Quote
The neon beams can be explained by pyrokinesis. But besides that it's Warcraft in space now just like the Alpha.
Reply Quote
The neon beams can be explained by pyrokinesis. But besides that it's Warcraft in space now just like the Alpha.

more like explained by DBZ, I'm tired of all these DBZ style fights in starcraft, cut it out blizzard.
Reply Quote

The zerg use their bodies, When you collect(Essence) You are collecting the biomass from the units, Essence is just what they are calling it, It just means you are collecting material from the species, its like how A cube with a green plus is a health pack, It just represents to make things more noticeable. its not like this essence is in random places(cept in 1 primal zerg mission where its randomly in a pool of water, but I believe that they give an explanation for that)

Also Why cant kerrigan shock People? they are her Ghost powers(Psionics) being strengthened by her queen of blade enhancement traits. So Its still science fiction, its just that both the zerg and protoss have evolved to the highest point in evolution. And humans have evolved in wit and built machines to compete.
Reply Quote
I don't see how SC is anything but Sci Fi especially with the questions asked =/.
Reply Quote
*slaps on nerd glasses*

Remember, the first game manual talked about the Xel'Naga discovering the original zerg larva which were actually parasites that burrowed into creatures and took them over, then began making modifications to their host's DNA (they were the original Flood) and body that became more radical as time went on. That's what peaked the Xel'Naga's interests in them, and then they modified them to be the hive beasties we all know and love.

What it sounds like, the Overmind took off with all those swarm zerg, but all the original zerg infected monsters were left behind, and still had that wonderful evolution on crack power that the Xel loved. Because they infected everything on the planet, they created a new biosphere and started feeding on each other to gain strength, cutting out the infection stage.

Besides, they had a million years to change since the Overmind left, the ancient one was probably a rock lobster with a good memory when the Xel arrived.
Reply Quote
I don't see how SC is anything but Sci Fi especially with the questions asked =/.
Quoting the great and almighty wikipedia: "Science fiction is a genre of fiction with imaginative but more or less plausible content".

Key word here is plausible.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 01:04 AMPosted by Turnip
Quoting the great and almighty wikipedia: "Science fiction is a genre of fiction with imaginative but more or less plausible content".

Blue aliens shooting lightning was ever plausible?
Reply Quote
The DNA is the essence.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 01:05 AMPosted by Daralii

This. Pretty much No science fiction story in the history of ever has been plausible.
Reply Quote
*slaps on nerd glasses*

Remember, the first game manual talked about the Xel'Naga discovering the original zerg larva which were actually parasites that burrowed into creatures and took them over, then began making modifications to their host's DNA (they were the original Flood) and body that became more radical as time went on. That's what peaked the Xel'Naga's interests in them, and then they modified them to be the hive beasties we all know and love.

What it sounds like, the Overmind took off with all those swarm zerg, but all the original zerg infected monsters were left behind, and still had that wonderful evolution on crack power that the Xel loved. Because they infected everything on the planet, they created a new biosphere and started feeding on each other to gain strength, cutting out the infection stage.

Besides, they had a million years to change since the Overmind left, the ancient one was probably a rock lobster with a good memory when the Xel arrived.
That's actually a pretty good rationalization, if only it was canon.
Edited by Turnip on 3/17/2013 1:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 01:05 AMPosted by Daralii

Lightning looks like lighting because the electricity super heats the atmosphere into plasma. Psi storm isn't necessarily lightning.
Reply Quote
To quote the great wikipedia on Psionics:

Psionics (used as a term for psychic abilities) in fiction appear in almost as many varieties as magic does, and are often deeply entwined with many related paranormal or science fiction phenomena.

It is often used to endow science fictional characters with abilities, which, if they were called "magic", would make the story fantasy.[7] Psionics usually appear in science fiction or contemporary settings, although it is sometimes seen in medieval fantasy as well (mostly in role-playing games), sometimes with both magic and psionics existing side by side as two distinct phenomena.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]