StarCraft® II

I thought Starcraft was supposed to be a

There were big blue balls of energy throwing around big blue bolts of lightning from their fingertips after they formed from two guys dancing around each other and smooshing into each other in sc1. Now your complaining it isn't realistic? Go play battlefield or something if you're upset, but don't pretend starcraft has ever been plausible.
Reply Quote
Its not about plausibility with regard to our universe it's about plausibility with regard to the original starcraft universe. Sometimes the original story needs to be retconed but ignoring it is as bad as saying there never was one (and therefore still isn't).
Reply Quote
Because Narud's power level was over 9000.
Reply Quote
There is a large part of the science fiction community that say psionics belong firmly in the realm of fantasy, and that any story with psionics has crossed the threshold from fantasy to reality. This is why tvtropes.org has a sliding scale for the soft/hard nature of any given SF material.

Also, I didn't see anything in any bit of Starcraft that I could come even remotely close to comparing to DBZ, except perhaps possibly Tassadar's final attack on the Overmind, or the temple purification on Shakuras in Brood War.
Edited by Joshua on 3/17/2013 2:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blue aliens shooting lightning was ever plausible?
Lightning looks like lighting because the electricity super heats the atmosphere into plasma. Psi storm isn't necessarily lightning.
Okay, so they're just using their brains to superheat the atmosphere to the point of starting a targeted lightning storm. It's still space magic.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 12:10 AMPosted by Turnip
It's not science-fiction anymore, it's Warcraft magic in space.

No, Warcraft is actually good*, unlike this campaign.

*WoW excluded
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 03:26 AMPosted by CaptainCrap
It's not science-fiction anymore, it's Warcraft magic in space.

No, Warcraft is actually good*, unlike this campaign.

*WoW excluded
Thus far, MoP's story is easily on par with if not better than WC3's.
Reply Quote
The DNA is the essence.

this.
Reply Quote
All of the retcons in this game suck and were completely unnecessary.
Reply Quote
"You'll enjoy entertainment products a lot more of you stop overanalyzing things."

I typically agree with that line of thinking, I have never much enjoyed nitpicking myself but wow, something about SC2 recently makes it really difficult to avoid. Do yourself a favor and replay the SC1/BW campaign and you will notice the massive and ridiculous differences between that and what we are being delivered now. I've been doing that and.. damn man. I don't know how we got from point a to point b. I still enjoy the new campaigns and all.. but for whatever reason it feels somewhat insulting to connect the campaigns from SC2 and SC1.
Reply Quote
One thing to consider that isn't mentioned anywhere is much of the bridging for SC1 and SC2 is done is with the novels or comics.
Edited by Shane on 3/17/2013 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My definition of science fiction is when it does not contradict the empirical evidence and is logically consistent.

For example if in 1900 you wrote a story in which balloon is used to travel to the Moon that's not science fiction as it was already known during that time that balloon can's travel in vacuum.

Now if you wrote a fiction where a rocket is used to travel to the moon, that would have been science fiction as it did not contradict any known facts (and actually became reality decades later).

Starcraft IMHO is a mix of science fiction and fantasy (kind of like Star Wars). It does not really contradict any scientific facts that I am aware of (apart from some exaggeration). It's not like they use conventional rockets to travel faster than light. Still, the Zerg and Protoss science is so unbelievably advanced that it feels like magic.

One of the reasons the game is so good, is because it combines many favorite plot elements in fairly seamless fashion. It has knights in shiny armor, damsels in distress, dragons, cowboys, space ships, megalomaniac tyrant, a wicked (sort of) queen and a charming prince -- what's not to like?
Edited by Alex on 3/17/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
*slaps on nerd glasses*

Remember, the first game manual talked about the Xel'Naga discovering the original zerg larva which were actually parasites that burrowed into creatures and took them over, then began making modifications to their host's DNA (they were the original Flood) and body that became more radical as time went on. That's what peaked the Xel'Naga's interests in them, and then they modified them to be the hive beasties we all know and love.

What it sounds like, the Overmind took off with all those swarm zerg, but all the original zerg infected monsters were left behind, and still had that wonderful evolution on crack power that the Xel loved. Because they infected everything on the planet, they created a new biosphere and started feeding on each other to gain strength, cutting out the infection stage.

Besides, they had a million years to change since the Overmind left, the ancient one was probably a rock lobster with a good memory when the Xel arrived.

it was a few thousand years not millions of years godamit why does everyone say that.
Reply Quote
You're really complaining about the neon energy beams? Uh, Kerrigan in SC1 can shoot a "psionic" lightning storm. What's the difference?
Reply Quote
This thread makes no sense. Starcraft is based on the idea of a sci fi game, but its not supposed to be one in all aspects. Its supposed to be Starcraft and Starcraft only. Its unique.

Infact, the whole thing about psionic, aliens, human tech and a bunch of other stuff is perfectly in harmony in Starcraft. Thats why its a sucessful game.
Reply Quote
You're really complaining about the neon energy beams? Uh, Kerrigan in SC1 can shoot a "psionic" lightning storm. What's the difference?

because the energy beam comes out of her hands DBZ style which is ridiculous, wheres psionic storms is established lore.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 12:12 PMPosted by JadeRaven

because the energy beam comes out of her hands DBZ style which is ridiculous, wheres psionic storms is established lore.

So basically you are saying anything outside the standard is ridicolous? Life must suck for you : /
Reply Quote
For me, the difference is how these psionic/fantasy elements are presented in SC1 & SC2. In SC1 they were presented in a rather 'scientific/worldly' way. The only time anything 'supernatural' was mentioned was a single statement by Zeratul that the conclave was acting irrational by trying to hold onto their 'vaunted religion' (which I always took to be an insult).

In SC2, the word god(s) is thrown out there over...and over...and over...The Tal'Darim literally worship the Xel'Naga. We have spiritual gas/artifacts. We have prophecies. The term 'power' is used a lot ('Can you feel the power of the pool drawing you?' How the heck do you 'feel' enzymes?!?). Zeratul's only purpose so far has been as a prophet. The protoss all seem to have a bizarre fantasy-like echo to their voices to make them seem mysterious. Ditto for the hybrids. The first hybrid we see 'absorbs energy' from Protoss to reincarnate (how this is supposed to recreate a physical body, I have no clue). The DBZ like cinematics.

I agree that SC2 in the most basic sense can be rationalized in scientific ways much in the same way as SC1. The problem in my mind is that it is largely presented in a fantasy manner.
Edited by LovelyMines on 3/17/2013 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 12:16 PMPosted by SpaceBound
because the energy beam comes out of her hands DBZ style which is ridiculous

Kerrigan could make a freaking battlecruiser implode in Wings of Liberty.
Reply Quote
What would interest me is the purpose of that skeletal wings on her back. No other Zerg has such things and you also can't fly without membranes between the bones.
It seems to me they only added them that she looks like a Succubus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]