StarCraft® II

Someone please address the disc install

Publishers need to wake up and realize that not everyone out there has access to broadband internet. Almost 1/3 of Americans do not have it in their homes. The whole point of buying the disk is that a DVD can hold almost 8GB of data. I bought the disk so that I wouldn't have to deal with a huge download of the game. So now I just bought a $40 DVD that has a 2MB file on it (the launcher, and nothing else) and have to download the game. On top of that, I can't even play the original WOL anymore, because the launcher forces you to update. I can deal with small updates here and there, and even the need for a persistent connection that doesn't require a lot of bandwidth, but being forced to download almost 8GB on a slow or capped connection is just too much. Thanks for the $40 notepad that came in the box Blizzard, and for making both HOTS out of reach, as well as removing WOL at the same time. Great marketing there. Whatever genius thought that up should be dragged into the street and beaten with a baseball bat.
Reply Quote
Yea, this is so dumb. 15 min installing and it is at .2% Sorry Blizzard, but you suck big time for this one big time.
Reply Quote
I've made a post regarding this, but I'll reply here too.

Had to search 'Steam' forums for a work-around.

"F:\StarCraft II Setup.exe" - D:

Change the "D" to wherever you want to install the game to.

Enjoy!
Reply Quote
wait so your saying they didn't put any of the game files on the disk so what about the people who don't even have a connection to the internet? and ... ^.- no seriously wtf...
Reply Quote
wait so your saying they didn't put any of the game files on the disk so what about the people who don't even have a connection to the internet? and ... ^.- no seriously wtf...

It's basically an online only game.
Reply Quote

Nope, no game files on the disk, just the launcher. It's pretty much a big "F*** you" to those of us without broadband. I only care about the campaign and have no desire to play against anyone, so my slow as molasses internet connection is just fine for validating my game and letting me play, but not so much for downloading multiple gigs of data. Looks like I wasted $40. On top of that, I can't even play the first one anymore.
Reply Quote
What's going on Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to contact me about your concern. Again, the CD comes with a base of the game, the launcher handles the reset of the patching and info we send out when the game was released. The CD is to get the install going but as the games requirements show, you have to have internet connection to play. Buying the box copy gets you a CD key, a cool box to display, a CD for the start of the installation, and a manual for game play.

We apologize that you are not hearing the answers you may want to hear, but with this situation, all the information we have told you is true. Now, if you purchased the game digitally, you don't get all I said above, nor a CD. We do not send out CD's to those who ask for them. We don't manufacture extra CD's anymore like the past.

Should you have any other questions, problems, issues, worries, or concerns, please feel free to contact us by creating a new Support Service Request by clicking Ask a Question.

"Cthulolchu has acquired your sanity, now follow to the Abyss."

Regards,
Account & Technical Services Rep Cthulolchu
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

It's okay guys, we only bought the physical copy of the game for the cool box and game manual. Blizzard knows nobody anywhere ever buys a physical CD so that they don't have to install several GB worth of data.

So quit complaining and be happy with your cool box.

Edit: Plus all those suckers who paid half price won't be able to get the amazing CD copy that doesn't install anything like we did... not even if they asked.
Edited by Hebetude on 3/19/2013 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]