custom pc help!

I'm currently looking for custom parts to start making my own PC since this one is currently dying on me (+7 years store bought pc). Need suggestions on what parts i should get for a decent pc. I want to keep this as close to 600$ or under if possible i already have a Nvidia Geforce 9400gt and a ultra x4 400w ATX power supply.

Dimensions for the power supply are 125w x 146d x 64+9h mm
the graphics card requires a PCI 2.1 compliant slot.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately, your video card would hold you back even in a new system. The 9400 was always a lower end card in the 9000 series. Putting that card in a new congfiguration would be a terrible idea.

Not only that, but PCI ports are a dying thing. PCI Express, or PCIe, has been the current standard for high bandwidth card communication for many years now. Any new card you get will be for PCIe, not PCI.

You might be able to save the power supply, but if it's more than seven years old it will have degraded greatly. You really are looking at a whole new system. Since your system is so old that it in fact uses a PCI, not PCIe or even AGP based video card, I would guess that your hard drive and optical drive might even be IDE based and not worth saving. SATA is the standard today.

Are you shopping from the US, Canada, or outside of North America?
Reply Quote
I am shopping from the US.
Reply Quote
PCPartPicker part list:
Price breakdown by merchant:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.51 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $572.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-19 17:56 EDT-0400)

If you don't have an OS, windows 7 is ~$100, so that will change a lot.
Reply Quote
If you don't have an OS, windows 7 is ~$100, so that will change a lot.

$100? I thought the full copy was $200. OEMs are $100 but don't you have to sell the computer? That's what I read, could be wrong.
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Vader
OEMs are $100 but don't you have to sell the computer?

From what I gather, you don't actually have to sell it, it just binds itself to the motherboard, making it so that you cannot install the copy to any other computer after setting up the one you bought the OEM for. Or maybe it's just a bootleg way to save money ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)